Foraging question

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Flatchy, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Flatchy Court Jester

I just recently linked forage to my move forward key (because basically I always forget to forage). Its great and helps for tradeskills a lot. BUT I have getting stuff on my cursor that is useless (hello water pods). Is there anyway to block yourself from foraging certain items? I mean in real life you would not pick up something that you do not want. You can block stuff you dont want in autoloot so thought there may be a way to do it here. Thanks for your time and sorry about the stupid questions!
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Aanuvane Augur

Unfortunately no. There is no way to block things you don't want to forage. You just have to remember to eventually destroy the stack.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  3. Warpeace Augur

EQ needs a Foraging and fishing filter!
    Winnowyl and Skuz like this.
  4. Elyssanda Bardbrain

at least it stacks to 1000 now, so you will only have 1 stack of water pods to deal with, 1 of roots (hey I stick them in the first 2 slots during normal play to eat and drink). it only gets bad in zones with a HUGE @$$ forage table where half of it is stuff you don't want.
    Wdor, Yinla and Winnowyl like this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I don't know of anything that really does what you want. I do have set up two keys, one is the regular "make hotkey" from Forage. The other is a social (note doability 5 is fishing and doability 4 is foraging; or the other way around, I don't have EQ open now):

/doability 5
    /pause 5,/doability 4
    /pause 5,/autoinv
    /pause 103,/autoinv
    /autoinv

This is my fish, forage and auto-inventory button. The reason I still need a normal Forage button next to it is that the /timer function really is not very good in that it doesn't actually let you know when the ability is ready. It just depresses the button for a time which can wind up having zero relation to the ability readiness.

I've requested a feature for way to make the button stay down until an ability you pick is actually ready but I have no idea if that will ever be implemented. Something like /depress, /doability 4 which would both activate doability 4 and keep the button down until doability 4 is ready again.

Even more interesting would be to also have one that lets you pick the ability you want the button to stay down for until it is ready without actually activating it, not sure what use it would have but someone would find one.
    Accipiter likes this.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Windows Accessibility features Key Lock, Key Repeat, Repeat Rate, can be used to do this.

Or programmable mouse to go whole hog and automate everything.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Fanra has it. If you /autoinv then you only have to clean out the junk now and then.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I just logged in and it seems my main Forage key is actually:

/pause 5, /doability 4
    /pause 5, /autoinv
    /pause 5, /autoinv
    /pause 5, /autoinv
    /autoinv

Because I'm a druid, I can forage quite a few items at once. So I have /autoinv many times. Plus lag, etc.

The other key I posted above is my main Fishing key, where I also Forage as well (because why not?).
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

I, too, needlessly have two Forage hotkeys next to each other...one is the actual ability with the timer, and the other is the macro that forages and does autoinventory 3 times (ranger). It's a wasted hotkey spot, but necessary because they either won't or can't code a hotkey that has a macro with a timed ability to use the timer of said ability.

I would prefer they spend time making that happen than worrying about hunter achievement points.
    Fanra likes this.
  10. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I put mine together until I got the timing of it right for the /timer part of the key. =\ It was the best I could do.
  11. Aanuvane Augur

Mine is similar to Fanra's. I don't need to see the timer if it is tied to movement keys. When I need to see the timer because I'm triggering it manually, I just open Actions widget and display the abilities page rather than use a second hotbar slot to see the timer.
    Wdor and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The ability to block unwanted forage and fishing items would be great, but I'd settle for just removing the useless items that have no use and no value.
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

The junk items are by design. We had this discussion in the context of fishing and Ngreth said 'git gud'. Junk items percentage is lowered with skill, to a small degree.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I think all the fishing items are sellable all beit for a few copper, the foraged ones aren't.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  15. Warpeace Augur

It would be different if the fishing trash stacked but they don't and each item takes up a bag slot. Like you stated they sell for a copper or two. But unlike most junk foraged items they stack and might get a silver or gold per stack while not eating a lot of bag slots.

If we want to argue OMG think of the economy, the use of advanced loot for killing mobs should be removed from game with 24/7 automated groups and plat drops. Fishing and forage are literally coppers vs a QOL improvement.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's a design choice that you get less junk as you get better. I doubt they would want to remove that.

I'm surprised after the rat ear thing too, seeing vets say something like 'just yank the stuff for QoL sake'.

It's getting sad seeing them yank stuff out, like procs. Never finish fixing the lag or devise a path for nerfed classes to regain some balance. Then, 'them rat ears are just a pain, yank em'.

It may be fine and have no ill side effects ever in the long run.

But seeing us take up another, 'just yank junk from the game' plan, is getting sad to see.

Plus, nobody uses a /destroy button to delete stuff from the cursor before you /autoinv? Like a human playing that decides things. If you're not deleting things as you go because you are behind the keyboard, why not use key repeaters as I suggested earlier?

There are much better macros for auto fish-forage bot than the above.
  17. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

You have not explained how this works. Just saying, "Windows Accessibility", doesn't explain anything.

Also, some of us don't have the money and/or desire to get and use a programmable mouse. For example, I have to use a trackball instead of a mouse for wrist pain.
  18. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I hear ya. Used a trackball for many years when I typed and moused a lot.

I have a programmable mouse with lots of extra keys, around $60.

Well I don't have a tutorial, I use my mouse.

Google should help, to get it working for your specific case. I think another keyword Windows uses is Sticky Keys.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-feature/4e5f37dc-269f-4802-868c-677f310a2495

https://winaero.com/turn-on-or-off-sticky-keys-in-windows-10/

You'll want to keep in mind the other phrases Key Repeat and Repeat Rate, and set the Repeat Rate to how often you want the button to click.
  19. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

While I don't know the method, off the top of my head, this is the section of Windows (Control Panel and W10 Settings shown).

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I think a part of that is "Windows Accessibility" was done away with after Windows XP and changed to "Ease of Access" + you can't search (in Windows*)for the key options listed. That adds a level of complexity if someone isn't familiar with the settings.

*Edited for where you can't search. Obviously an internet search engine is something different.
    MasterMagnus likes this.