TLP Guilds

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by mikey87, Aug 10, 2021.

1. mikey87 New Member

This may have been brought up in the past already, I don't really follow the forums too much, so forgive me in advance if it has. I did use the search forums bar (kind of barely)

So I'm sitting here bored out of my mind, its 1:23pm on a Tuesday and I think "you know, I kinda wanna get back into some Everquest TLP"... so I get on the forums and try to find a TLP that I want to do, and I just don't really see anything i like. I like to do pre GoD stuff, and it looks like my choices are Agnarr or 2 servers that do random loot. I don't want to do random loot, and I'm not really sure how healthy Agnarr is. Even if I do go to Agnarr, being grandfathered in to things like PoTime really sucks the life out of the point of doing TLP in the first place.

Then I thought "you know, why do I have to wait for DBG to do something. Why don't people just make guilds that adhere to TLP standards. People could make a new guild on Agnarr, recruit from these forums, friends, etc, start completely fresh, go through the motions of completing the classic expansion, and when the guild decides to move to kunark, they can. At a time of their choosing, however the leader wants to implement it.".

So what would you need to do for this to be successfully TLP? Well, you'd have to get it through to people that they can't do anything out of the era that the guild is currently in. I think if you put too many rules on people, you're going to wind up policing things too often. You can do this but not do that, etc. Its confusing and I personally don't want to have to study a ruleset on somebodies website. You'd have to just do it on some sort of honor system right? With very simple rules like "if you have to ask, probably not" and "you're here because you want to play in this era as close as possible to what that era has to offer, if you're not doing that then why are you here?". I don't think there's any way to track people breaking the rules anyways, some wizard sneaking in a piece of PoP gear right before a classic era boss, or somebody going anonymous during the middle of the night so they can go grind somewhere out of era that gives better xp, etc. But come on folks, most of us are in our 30's and 40's by now, are we really that immature to not adhere to some basic honor principles? I like to believe that most of us are capable of doing so. Most of us are here on the same basic principal of playing the game as it used to be and progressing through.

There was a time where I joined a guild that did this, it must have been on live. I don't remember the guild name, it was a long time ago, I do remember the guild requiring some sort of program that constantly updated your gear so they could catch people trying to cheat. That part was a pain in the butt, but the guild actually worked very well. The leader even allowed us to sit in the guild lobby even though the lobby was out of era so that we could maintain buffs. I understand letting things slide may lead to other things being let slid, but its your guild, you run it how you want, and even as a member you don't have to adhere to the things that are let slid. If you don't like the guild lobby idea, then don't use it. More classic feel for you.

I wonder how many people would be willing to do this or something similar on Agnarr or any other server of their choosing? I'm sure there are some mechanics that will be different because the server has unlocked expansions that aren't in the era you're in, and those may or may not be able to be changed. But you sacrifice that for the benefit of having control over how you want to progress and when. I can see guilds being created that are purist, i can see guilds being created that are more lax on the rules, I can see guilds being created that cycle through the xpacs they want and then recycling from the beginning. Not only that, a lot of the content would be up more often because people aren't doing it, they're doing whatever the current era of the server is.

If this is something that you are interested in doing, please make a reply stating so. There may be some guild leaders or raid leaders or somebody willing to go through the motions out there reading this thinking "if i can get enough people i'll give it a go." so this is your time to show the demand, whether it be 50 people or me and 2 others. Which it might be (lol)
    Abundant likes this.
  2. wagz Casual - Innoruuk origin

I like this idea and I would be up for it if I didn’t enjoy the new TLP random loot so much.
  3. MustardonWatermelon Elder

The lore of The Faceless is basically what you described. They moved to Test because at the time, Test was the best server to do it on.

However, I've heard they recently removed agents of change off Test, so that's out. I think it sucks they removed them off Test, but oh well.

Since you seem to not be a fan of the random/bonus loot feature (for what it's worth a lot of people really enjoy that feature. Personally it's the only reason why I'm playing EQ at all right now) I think you might want to look at Rizlona/Aradune/Coirnav.

If I am not mistaken, all TLP's have the agents of change, until they catch live and are thus no longer TLP's.
  4. CartoTLP Journeyman

Before you definitively state that you "don't want to do random loot," why don't you give it a try? The population on Mischief is extremely healthy and Velious is just over a week away. It is the perfect time to get up to speed and be ready for Luclin and beyond. Additionally, one of the benefits of the free trade server is that you can have far easier access to starter gear to get you going. Full planar armor can be acquired for very little platinum, and often times it is given away to aid new players who join the server.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

You won't know until you try. I wasn't sure what to think at first but I really like Mischief. So much so that I'm losing money because I would rather play actual EQ instead of tunnel quest.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  6. Loki4567 Lorekeeper

I gave away hundreds of items on the slow walk to 60 on my characters. The server spits out group tier gear in massive quantities. Rather than try to sell items for 200pp or less, I started vendoring things or giving things away to the new players.

Random loot is different sure, but it isn't bad at all; I've been enjoying it.
  7. NumberWonEUteeth New Member

He doesn't want random loot.
  8. Sollix Journeyman

TLDR OP but ...

That server is more successful due to FV then Random Loot IMO. Hopefully the Devs realize this and release a normal FV server for people who enjoy the game the way Brad intended. Oh also a RED PVP TLP. Thanks. Long Live Brad.
  9. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Ditto, my SK and shaman almost 50 and my worthless mage is creeping towards 60 hah.
    Fun times...
  10. Lemerian Elder

It's not just FV or random loot... It's sometimes two to three to four times as much loot on one mob. That to me is honestly as big as the other two elements
  11. jeskola pheerie

This used to happen back in the day when it was several years between TLP servers, i.e. between the Combine/Sleeper and Fippy/Vulak era (5 years), then again between Fippy/Vulak and Ragefire/Lockjaw (4 years). Trakanon server had a thriving do-it-yourself progression guild scene. Once they started releasing servers yearly, this idea died. You might get a group of people willing to do this, but I wouldn't count on any more than a handful, and adherence to item/level/AA rules is likely to be poor.
  12. mikey87 New Member

Sorry i think I'm misunderstanding, are we saying that there's no reason to kill nameds because I can get geared out from over abundance?
  13. Xeris Augur

Just play on Agnarr and progress at your own pace. You're not going to find a large enough group of people to re-progress on any server.

We actually tried this on Agnarr and it didn't work. People don't realize how difficult doing this is until they try... And also how much they don't actually want to re-do all of progression.
    Herf likes this.
  14. mikey87 New Member

My fellow american friendo, is that not what every TLP server is, a large group of people re-progressing. What a strange thing to say. It's like standing in the middle of a forest and saying "You're not going to find any forests around here, we already tried to find a forest and it didn't work, people don't realize how difficult it is to find a forest until they try... and also how much they don't actually want to be in a forest."

The resources to make it work are here, but to begin its just a matter of finding the demand for it right... and that's going to be in the hands of those that follow the post and aren't voicing their interest because their waiting for others to jump on it. I'm not going to do this, but I'd be willing to bet that if i made 10 or 15 fake accounts, and replied "yea lets do it!" on here, that people would start looking for the guild name and the server so they could make a character there and send a tell asking for an invite. Whenever i visit these forums, i almost always see that post "when is a new tlp server coming out" and its because people want to start over or start fresh but are waiting for DBG to do it.

I did wind up making a char on Mischief, and it does seem pretty upbeat and lively there and thats very enjoyable. But I will be snooping around these forums, waiting for a post about a guild that wants to do the above so I can get in on it. And for the love of god name the guild something cool, not something sillystupid or ominously latin
    Abundant likes this.
  15. Lemerian Elder

If it takes 10 to 15 fake accounts to get enough people interested, there's no chance it's going to last through multiple expansion progressions.

One reason people like TLP isn't just because of raid progression, but because of all the people and grouping possibilities. It feels alive in a way that other servers just are not.
  16. Xhartor Augur

I would like to bring up that you are miss when you say this.
    Having on Agnarr and on Mangler from Launch (Currently in TBS), so far GoD has been the best expansion of the server.

Character are lot stronger and better gear then were on live, so it's make GoD challenge really enjoyable. In general as the game progress that game play has gotten more intricate and the raid scripts are more dynamic.

If you haven't done GoD, it's worth it to roll a tune on Aradune, level up and give the expansion a shot.
  17. Loki4567 Lorekeeper

Not at all. I'm saying there are some major unanticipated pluses to the rule set. And that it's far easier for a new player to get quality equipment.
  18. Xeris Augur

I'm not American. :p

Also, people asking for a new TLP is COMPLETELY different than taking an entire guild's worth of people to an already established TLP like Agnarr and re-starting progression there. I literally said in my post that this has ALREADY been tried on Agnarr. Twice.

My guild tried it, and it lasted less than 2 days. Zaide tried a ssf progression guild on Agnarr and it lasted about a week. It's a totally different experience when you go to a server that has progressed and expect... 40-50+ people to all just ignore: bazaar, newb armor quests, and all the post-classic advances and progress as a unit. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am telling you that it's been tried on Agnarr twice and hasn't worked.

I think the fact that: a) you're not taking the initiative to start this yourself and are just posting about wanting someone else to do the work and b) nobody in this thread agrees with you, is enough evidence that this won't work.

But hey: feel free to put your money where your mouth is and come to Agnarr and start a progression guild. Good luck and see you there!
  19. Machen New Member

It never worked on live in the old days either. At least on Agnarr you have aoc's so aren't completely blocked from content by a level 105 showing up and killing everything on your raid night. EQ players aren't good at restricting ourselves.