Do you like this change?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Flatchy, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Flatchy Court Jester

I think this is new this expansion but not totally sure. Im talking about named ph's. You know the sirens in Cobalt Scar, you kill them then you get A SIREN MUSE, you just know after you kill it a named will pop. 18 years of playing EQ and I do not really recall this before this expansion. I was just wondering what people thought about this. Its kind of nice to be able to plan out your stratedgy knowing the named is coming. Then again the suprise is always nice too. i wonder also why its just certain nameds and not all nameds.

What do you think?
  2. Conq Augur

Not a fan. Especially as it works in ToV - the trigger mobs for a named spawn in a different area than the named. While it's fun to surprise another group by spawning a namer on them - it is less fun having to contest that named when you want to kill it - after you've spawned it.
    Conq
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

There is one similar to this that I know of. In the original ToFS on the top floor you can find Tserrina. She can spawn from the death of any of the bats in that one corridor. We discovered that if a bat conned gray to a level 52 then Tserrina would spawn 100% of the time on the death of that bat. The light blue conning bats won't spawn her.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Reminds me of the old FM named cycle. Talk about a lot of running around, if you didn't have separate groups camped at each corner of the zone.
  5. Coagagin Guild house cat

Its a preview of what is or isn't to come. Most groups aren't really to the task of taking many of these names out. Better to be forewarned than caught completely off guard. I am fine with it as I don't see it as some form of exotic cheat or anything.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'm not a fan of the old design paradign of one specific named mob being the only thing that drops one specific item anyway, I hate being essentially leashed to one small area while chasing one specific upgrade.

This change doesn't appeal to me at all though.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Worst is for augs where you spend soooo many hours confined to one area. It's why i enjoy hunter achievements more than a lot of other stuff in EQ: you get to set up camp, kill for a while and move on. Good balance between rushing through an area vs being confined for too long.
  8. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

If only they came up with a concept or server that ends this.
    -----Cinexa----- likes this.
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

After we all got the picture it was no problem. But on the first day it was disappointing to kill that wyvern name in the cobalt scar tower then find out we had kill stole from another group. No one was up there and he agroed on us so we killed him, then the group that had killed the ph showed up. Not our fault but I felt kind of bad about it.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'd said this before Mischief/Thornblade and their Random Loot system - which is presumably what you were inferring, but I'm not talking about that system either which is one way of doing this. And that system pretty much necessitated it being a server ruleset.

What I have suggested is something that could be tried in an expansion on existing live servers and doesn't use the Random Loot system.
  11. Windance Augur

I am not a fan.

I prefer to have thing happen local to the area you are at. Cause and effect. I kill this, it can spawn as the PH or the Named.

The kill some here to spawn something over somewhere else just makes things ... meh.

Same is true of those common -> rare -> boss type cycles.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Worked fine with judicator in plane of war where it is tied to the group which spawned it, dislike the way if is done in COV.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Marton Augur

Not a fan of this system and would prefer not to see it again.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Flatchy Court Jester

I am not a big fan of it if the mob spawns elsewhere. Octo in Cobalt Scar is not bad because she pops really close to where you camp. That wyvern though popping in the tower is a real pisser. I do not like moving my boxes around once I get to a camp.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Axel Furry Hats OP

I hate this change. I've seen tons of groups just sit on where the namer spawns, not going after the PH, just waiting for someone else to kill the PH. It's frustrating. There are also permacamped namers for augs that I need, that I can't get from missions (partly because there are no T1 missions and partly because those augs sell well on FV).

My proposed solutions? Make all namers in the zone have the same loot table. That way, if there's a permacamped spot, you can just go somewhere else for it. OR, and I like this idea a bajillion times more, make more missions and every named drop available in a mission chest. People that don't like missions? They still can get the loot. People that think grinding is boring? They can still get loot. Win/win, plus we get more content, which means more playtime, so there's actually no downsides to this.
    Velisaris_MS and Skuz like this.
  16. Warpeace Augur

The fact they put the type 5 augs on one rare spawn outside of missions was a bad choice looking back at it. There should have been multiple rare mobs with those augs considering there are more than enough rare spawns in the expansion to help spread out the demand.

Trying to get to the Dex aug is no joy when you get there and a box or botted group with 2-3 zerkers going non stop. Missions are not always an option depending on your play time.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

I personally like the idea of loot being tied to a zone and not a specific mob in that zone...every named can drop every piece of loot available in that zone.

If they're gonna continue with the mechanic of having a named spawn at a specific point when a ph is killed somewhere else, then they need to make it so only the group that spawned the named can engage it.
    Yinla likes this.
  18. Warpeace Augur

They basically had the mechanic in PoWar for The Judicator. I think it came a bit later in the expansion though due to groups waiting for wipes to jump in and get the dodge aug and Blessing.
  19. Tren Journeyman

I am not a fan of this method of spawning names, but I can deal with it better than having a mob in Dragon Necropolis that has 21 mobs to clear before you can get a shot at the placeholder. I understand a lot of people form raids for hunter, but there shouldn't be any type of raid needed to do something that has historically been accomplished by a single group.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

People aren't forming raids for hunter achievements to kill current expansion named mobs (though, it certainly happens). Doing hunter achievements in a raid means you can spread people out all over the game in older zones get achievements way faster than just 1 person or group working their way through the expansions one zone at a time.

And it allows the really lazy players to join a hunter raid, sit in the lobby, and not actually do anything to help...all the while getting all the benefits.