[Feature] Memorial stones

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elyssanda, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Elyssanda Bardbrain

We need some sort of Sign or Stone that can be *named* for people who have been in our guilds and have Died. It takes an OBSCENE amount of weapons to spell out peoples' names.
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    minimind, Sprooce, CrazyLarth and 7 others like this.
  2. Froglok Augur

This is an awesome idea.

Not sure how they can do this with out adding a 1-use special marker for every time, so that's out.

However, I can think of two alternative ways...

One might be to simply sell Letters of the alphabet in the Marketplace, that can be used in similar fashion.

Or - even better - a placeable Memorial Stone (maybe a varied appearances... flat marker, slab, spire, headstone, crypt...) that has runes on it (to represent the the players name). This Memorial Stone will have the added "feature" that allows the purchaser the ability to type something that others can see, when they click on the memorial stone. Like a MOTD feature (like the ones for Fellowships & Guilds).
    minimind likes this.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Only problem is people using it just to put their name up.

Would be cool to have a feature where you can essentially delete a character and turn it into a memorial stone. Tell some NPC "I wish to pass on" or something, boom, disconnected, log back in, character is deleted (or better, permanently greyed out so they cannot be logged in, but stay on guild rosters), and there is a /claim item of a stone or plaque with their name that can be placed in housing.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That would be ok. They could offer regular stones like in real life "The Jones" or similar to put outside your house or whatever and then a headstone for those who have passed on.

But this is the problem. There is not away to verify it is being used for a departed player.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  5. Froglok Augur

Using the letters (maybe sell numbers, too), what's wrong with putting your characters name up if that's what you want to do?

I like to think that Memorials will not be placed for Players that are still with us. However, Players often do use things in ways that were not intended.

However, the Memorials, as suggested, no name is outwardly visible except by clicking on the memorial to see what it says (like a MOTD... or maybe the recruitment boards in the lobby).

I can see where players may also want to also use them for their own deleted or permanently retired toons, however.
    Leerah likes this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Make memorials a sign-up using the LFG tool interface. Then instead of a stone, maybe a firework graphic in PoK spelling the memorialized name whenever any player on that list enters PoK. It would be a way for everyone to participate in the memorial, and a way to be reminded of those friends while you're playing. I think this would be a really interesting way to honor the memory of the fallen.

However, this has been requested a few times I can remember throughout the decades. It hasn't happened yet. I honestly think the reasoning is more related to the 32-bit client than anything. I believe every memorial stone would need to be a unique item, and there simply is no more room in the 32-bit client for this sort of thing.

Maybe when the client gets upgraded this gets another look?
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

If it were possible and it happens my guild would be greatly interested in this.
    minimind and Elyssanda like this.
  8. Aanuvane Augur

I like the idea. Put it in the Store and DB can make some additional money from it. Who cares how people choose to use it. I love to see people do creative things with items.
  9. KarmaKitty Augur

Problem would be people buying up "F*ck PlayerNameHere" or "PlayerNameHere uses App" and
    similar expressions.

Perhaps best would be a lfg like sign for the memorials under the control of dark paw allowing them
    to vet the contents and ensuring only respectful text. Or perhaps a large auto scrolling window in the
    guild lobby.

...And then, they can make small rotating Ads along the walls in PoK for the cash subsidizing the
    cost of creating the memorial. Why PoK, because thats where the eyes are.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

And once set, cannot be changed. Can only be removed by GM. That prevents guild leader/officer tantrums deleting the markers before they quit the guild.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  11. Froglok Augur

They have built in safeguards for naming and a filter for chat, for this. Maybe apply one, or both, to the memorials?

Otherwise, Players have the report / petition option.

Maybe even add in the Item Lore / Info "Malicious, nefarious and / otherwise abusive use of a Memorial is subject to suspension and / or banning, as well as the uncompensated removal / loss of the Memorial itself."
    KarmaKitty, Leerah and Elyssanda like this.
  12. Gnomereaper Augur

Have a few different alphabets made, then let people make their own signs. Place a basic alphabet set on a vendor, another in the tradeskill system for next expansion, and the rest into the store.
  13. Elyssanda Bardbrain

or overseer's mysterious stranger..
  14. Leerah Augur

I would buy one that gave the cause and age of death. Like Xabaz of Quellious. Age 24. Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Even though it's long, it could serve as a way to raise awareness of certain diseases. I know a couple of people on the server would want to 'lay stones' on top the headstone. Perhaps a virtual flower or pebble could be sold.
    Ideally, I could pick an Iksar shadowknight as its icon.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I used a couple grave stones from the marketplace and also a couple of the other blocks that you can place and then there are tons of flowers and other items that look like flowers when you place them.

Placing an item that represents their class on the headstone is kinda hard to get lined out but it works. Someone posted how to spell out names using something else instead of weapons that worked very well but I can't find that post.
  16. Coagagin Guild house cat

Tie the final acceptance to a guild vote so as to not have to worry about too much abuse. Yeah, possible but if 54 people agree that someone has passed away and are willing to own that message, let them. Like the idea that the main's toon is to be officially retired and no longer able to be logged on but memorialized by a bronze wall plaque as in fine', final, no more.
    Elyssanda and KarmaKitty like this.