The Elephant in the room

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demi, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaoslayer Journeyman

When I did DoDh performer event on live we made 20ish audio triggers with 20 hot key to do the event. Press A1 or B2 etc etc. After doing it again on a TLP they had us use Gina. The overlay tells you what person to talk to and copies the text for you onto the clipboard. All you have to do is run to the guy and paste it. So as far as no grey area Gina doesn’t do anything for you. I think putting the text on your clipboard is doing something for you and it makes that event 1000 times easier then the old way.
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

They once asked for players to submit their maps to be included into the game, but iirc they couldn't use them for legal reasons?
    Jumbur, Bigstomp and Nennius like this.
  3. Angahran Augur

You had to create a new account to try to call GINA cheating ? What happened ? Did your main account get banned ?

GINA does nothing you can't do without it.
    There is NO AUTOMATION.
    Stymie and Kaenneth like this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Could he have realized that was a possibility and still canceled his accounts? I think so.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah no one is dumb enough to say Maps or Gina is equivalent to cheating.

Never ran a light so far in my life, never broke the speed limit to make an appointment, never rand a red light. Not sure how you run a yellow since you can proceed safely on a yellow. Unsafely proceed? No, never done that. *shrugs*
  6. Angahran Augur

1. Using ingame maps is NOT CHEATING. If you don't agree ask DBG.
    2. Using Parsers or any other software that simply reads log files is not cheating. If you don't agree, ask DBG.
    3. Using software to 100% automate gameplay while you go watch a movie or take a nap and leave your characters to run around, monopolize camps, slaughter names, and warp back and forth across zones IS CHEATING! If you don't agree, ask DBG.
    nitrocutter, Andarriel and Khat_Nip like this.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

All depends on what Daybreak will call cheating and with them being recently purchased I would not assume ANY boxing software is safe. As usual folks just have to make a personal decision on what risks they will accept. I would definitely miss i s b if it came to that but it is what it is.

I S B allows keystrokes to be sent to all clients allowing buttons to be pushed faster then if each individual button was pushed on each client. Still no where as close as good as a real group but much better then a boxed group not using it.

Now the question is whether DBGs new owners think being able to box a group better then those not using i s b but not as well as a real group is cheating.

The whole reason I tried it was due to repetitive stress pain. I would have to take week long breaks from the game as all that gaming with a mouse was causing me a lot of pain.

Yeah and I know don't talk about fight club etc.... but DBG "knows" what I S B can do or they were too lazy to bother finding out.
  8. Marton Augur

I don't see how using Gamparse is cheating.

Bazaar traders automatically adjusting their prices on the other hand ...
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

So who did they hit? Anyone using macro quest or did they just try to detect people playing afk?

Darkpaws stance on bans is one of the worst in the business. Everything is done in secret so bans have minimal impact becauee the playerbase isn't aware anything is bring done. If it was up to me anytime a permaban was handed out I'd post the names of all characters banned and any guilds they belonged to and let the ripperonis fall where it may.
  10. Riou EQResource

They tested? a ban/suspension wave on Bertox, from the lack of general complaints it seems like false positives were low to none with the method they used. Nothing beyond that is really known

I think FF14 is one of the only? bigger mmo's that have like a monthly news post of the # of accounts banned for illegal activities, for example the most recent one: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/de1ae7321fa6de963a8b130ff317da61235fd9e1
    Raccoo and Skuz like this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Most likely it was AFK automaters, but then we have seen groups of those exist despite persistent complaints for weeks or even months at the same locations.
    Then again, maybe there is a clean-up in progress.
  12. Khat_Nip Meow

Elyssanda and Raccoo like this.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The sheer tonnage of factless knowledge on these boards would stun a team of oxen.

What makes you think EQ devs themselves aren't using I S B? Puritanical slight of hand aside... Darkpaw's hands-off approach toward third party software is a matter of resources - they don't have enough.
    Lorai likes this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

I remember that.
  15. cadres Augur

The bans have totally invigorated my server!
    So many people, including many old friends, have come back in recent months; folk who had been bullied out of the game.
    Many many more (including myself) who were at the point of quitting, as it was impossible to play outside raids, are still here
    None of our raiding guilds have been impacted at all - in fact a new one has started up

It was a very long time coming, the bans should have happened much more quickly.
    Of course it was the right thing to do

EDIT. Yes, agreed, with folk saying the whole process should be much more transparent. Much clearer guidance on what is banned, full disclosure of bannings etc. And more prompt bannings - not least because letting it go on for months/years appears to sanction what was happening. Clamping down promptly is the way to go
    Sancus, Elyssanda and Raccoo like this.
  16. Chaoslayer Journeyman

I just don't post very often and find it interesting that you turn it into an attach as soon as you disagree. If you click the profile you can see it is not just made but when people take this hard stance on something. I just can't help but point out the flaws. Trigger happens and Gina automatically copies the correct response to my clipboard. To me I think Gina just automated an action making the raid easier and giving me an edge. I'm not saying it is wrong. I am join point at the grey area that everyone says doesn't exist.
    demi likes this.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It is funny that there are 3 'New Members' trying to defend cheats on a thread posted on a Friday night. It sounds like they want to circumvent the forum moderator (Accendo) and stir the pot (justify their behavior and - in an exercise of futility - try to persuade others to their side).
    Elyssanda likes this.
  18. strongbus Augur

think the main reason I s boxer is ok is it don't do anything someone can't already do with a few computers and the right equipment. its not hard to setup 1 mouse/keyboard to control more then 1 computer at a time. As well as I s Boxer by itself won't play your toons you have to hit keys. you don't hit keys your toons don't do at thing.
  19. Tappin Augur

What do mean? The only way to cheat in this game is through automation? So I can get mobs stuck in pathing and load them with dots? Is that ok? Stop saying that Gina doesn’t offer anything that isn’t provided in the game, because NO ONE WOULD USE IT, otherwise.
  20. Szilent Augur

There's no need or call for weird punitive special rules. If characters & items are "stuck", no transfers off, then the rest of playing normally is fine. Regular trading on the server, no PVP, the language thing is weird, and nothing special about Kronos.

The problem, such as it is, with automators is only their interaction with those of us that don't play that way. Its disruptive to play and especially to an "honest" game economy. If they only have each others' toes to step on while seeking desirable camps and loading up popular zones with lag, if they only have each other to throw inflated amounts of platinum at, if they only have a closed market for their ultra rare drops, then there's no problem for the community.

So, a popup warning for the one way hotel : "Characters cannot transfer off. Customer Service interactions may have greatly reduced priority."

That's all.
    Beimeith and code-zero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.