Another new server idea

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by cybertoothlion, Jul 22, 2021.

1. cybertoothlion Journeyman

I have talked to countless people about this. I quit playing in the spring due to loving the summer life, but plan on coming back to hopefully another new TLP in the fall so I can play all winter again. I have played 3 TLPs now, max level and raiding.

What is the number 1 thing people don't like about every single TLP server that has dropped? Hot zones. Hear me out.

People are going to the exact. same. zones. to level the fastest they possibly can, which is great. Nothing against it (not), however a lot of us are really missing out on the entire world of Norrath. Spending 15 levels in Unrest is actually awful. But no one is anywhere else?? Why not change hot zones for a new server, to get people in places they have never been or haven't been in a long time, I get so excited just talking about it. Even better? Change the hot zones once a month, or every expansion. I really don't think this is a hard thing to change for the devs? And it would be a massive improvement to the game.

Oh Runnyeye has double XP this month? Suddenly its the zone with 10 instances, not unrest. And people are MOVING around the world! Yeehaw!

Also, maybe, base how fast instances pop based on population of NPC's in these zones. Considering some zones have less NPC's, therefor less camps, you might have to work that in to the equation.
    I remember running around EQ when I was younger, discovering places, being mesmerized by the entire world, finding groups in all corners of Norrath, no matter where you were. Now everyone runs to the same old zones and it is the NUMBER 1 thing I cannot stand about the TLPs.

Its so simple - just change hot zones, get people moving and enjoying Norrath.
    Hell, do one with random loot as well? Sounds like a jam to me!

If you do this in a couple months when the weather brings me back to my home in Norrath, you'll have one player, that's for sure.

Trust me, you'll probably have to do 3 of these servers too keep up with the amount of players coming back. You can thank me later.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't think you need a server dedicated to this. They could just revive/rework the hot zones for all servers.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't need to visit the same zones and same camps each time a new TLP server opens up in order to rush to max level. There are plenty of other zones that are perfectly usable in every expansion even if they don't give the best xp rates. Instead of asking to be forced to go to a new zone because of a better xp rate why not chose to go their on your own? If there are so many people tired of going to the same places for each new TLP that is something they can easily change on their own.
    Skuz and Triconix like this.
  4. Captain Video Augur

First off, there won't be another new TLP server until next spring at the earliest. Second, there is even more incentive to try different zones on the latest gen of TLP servers due to the random loot rules, and the availability of various rare mobs dropping a lot of loots. This can be worth a lot more to a lot of players than just getting a % boost in XP rate. Give one of these new servers a try, they're still in Kunark, plenty of time to level up if you decide you like it.
  5. Nolrog Augur

I am pretty sure they evened out the ZEMs a while ago, so that things are already a bit less spikey in places. Dungeons will have a higher ZEM because of the risk. People will still go to the same zones because of the perceived benefit and / or because they are the favorites or simply what they have always done.

And finally, as far as I am aware, they also can't do this for just one server with the way things are set up. All servers run on the same data package, so they could change them for all but not for just one.
    Skuz, Yinla and Accipiter like this.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

They did, yes. I believe they fixed Burning Woods at the same time. That was the one that was stuck as a hot zone for years.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Chopsuey Augur

I don't believe zem is the biggest reasons people flock to the same zones to level. It's a lot about convenience and loot and mob density. Just look when Luclin releases on tlp's. Poop xp zones like dawnshroud and marus seru are the new hot spots. It's close to the main luclin hub and there are a lot of mobs. But the xp per kill is low.
    TLDR = people are lazy and don't want to go too far out of their way.
  8. jeskola pheerie

I feel like it's time for the server starting in TSS.
    Elskidor and Triconix like this.
  9. cybertoothlion Journeyman

I do this already if I can find a few people to go with me.
  10. cybertoothlion Journeyman

That's seriously just no fun. I say, make far away zones double XP for a month and watch what happens. It will get players running all over the place. People will love the change of scenery and its not hard to do. So what if takes longer to get there? That's EQ. Make it worth it.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

People flock to the same zones because they know them, people like their (literal) comfort zones as they are what they know, and they get the nostalgia fix the highest from places they knew well.

A solid and much better ZEM found in zones that are rarely used would offer a tempting carrot for people to move away from their comfort zones maybe, but some tweaking of itemisation would probably also be needed, popular zones are often zones that have great loot.
    Stymie likes this.
  12. Triconix Augur

GOD start and you got yourself a deal. GOD-TBS is the golden era for EQ raiding.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

well what ever Exp they doing this fall is what they should start with the older version for a new server. That way they can advertise come play EXP to EXP on this new Server. add code to Give Bonus with NO MERC add a code to Give Bonus (normal zone and less then 20 peeps in it) Add a Bonus the more peeps in the Group - remove all bonus if peep are in a RAID.
  14. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Hotzones aren't a problem. Certain dungeons are hot spots ALWAYS because of mob density, mob respawn rate, and mob squishiness. They are better than hotzones, because even without the ZEM bonus, they are much more efficient.

And what Skuz said.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Take lore off of everything
  16. code-zero Augur

I recall way back when people crowded into LoIO and the ZEM was lowered to the point that people finally had to stop leveling there. The only way to make them spread out is if you do the same to the crowded zones today. For whatever reason most EQ players respond to the stick and not the carrot
  17. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

It wasn't because too many people were leveling there, it was because the levels of toxicity on EVERY server became untenable. Yes, the ZEM was the initial draw, but it was the toxicity that killed it.
  18. jeskola pheerie

I would want to utilize all the TSS low to mid level zones and items during the initial leveling phase
    Skuz likes this.
  19. cybertoothlion Journeyman

Exactly why dangling a carrot at a harder dungeon for more XP or for better loot? Would improve the game. I know why everyone go's to the same zones until max level. Its boring and stupid after 3 TLP's when I know from 21 years of experience how much Norrath has too offer. I don't need all these explanations, yet here we are. The whole point is to get people to do HARDER things, by challenging them to actually find a group and GO to the dungeon that takes longer to get too, and TRY and get to the boss and the bottom. Because that's the WHOLE point of an RPG.

Nah, lets just hurry up real fast and grind out all our levels in literally 4 different zones until max, call it a day and log on for raids. /eyeroll

You know, a LOT of people still love Norrath and want to play for the adventure. All I want is for them to give people a reason to go group up in the Karana's, run over to highpass for a group, get a port to misty thicket and lets see how far we can down in Runnyeye. (At a level where its actually scary)

I love when I make these kind of posts and the answers from players are always basically "but its harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd, this is why it workssss" ...........k

I have lost all faith
  20. Elskidor Augur

As long as it doesn't have truebox, sure.
    Skuz likes this.