Do you guys actually play with new character models on?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by urbanbo70, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Captain Video Augur

And that, IMHO, is an equally bold statement.

My social circle in the Live community is admittedly limited, but I don't know a single active Live player who is trying to use a TLP to farm Krono. Live players who are at endgame all budget for their hobby. If they box, they pay for each sub. They buy every expansion as it comes out. They have jobs. In most cases they have families. There isn't room in the schedule to do everything there is to do in one's guild on a Live server, plus put in all the time necessary to actually turn any kind of a profit via TLP Krono farming.

I know quite a few Live players who have rolled on a TLP to dabble, to see what the modern version of the "old school" game has become, and some will play a while through group content, but almost never do a raid. I know of cases where TLP players who have raided, and enjoyed it, were then recruited into a Live server guild (no need to wait 4-5 years to reach current content). This is just a wild guess, but I would put the overlap between TLP and Live at around 20%.
  2. Catashe Augur

I mean EQ today ain't EQ back then.. back then you had guilds of all sizes and geared so you had some spread out instead of just in elementals and time so PoP was a pleasant experience.. I sure wasn't in a guild back then that was in Time(the highest we got to was Agnarr/Mith Marr) before I stopped playing back then when GoD was a buggy exp that was released too early and it was fun cause you couldn't just steam roll it like you can now on the TLPs..
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You're the one that thinks "most" players in this game are TLP players, which is patently and demonstrably absurd.

Ask yourself how come these new TLP servers can push 4k players concurrently, requiring queues, then a month later are down to half as many and a few months later are down to 1/4 to 1/6th as many.

Its because a ton of live players login and dabble.

When I do /who all class 50 60 and come up with 18 people during prime time weekday, don't try and tell me this garbage that a couple of servers of TLP people somehow magically contains so many more players than a dozen or whatever live servers filled with thousands of max level players.
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

Sorry which part of my statement were you disagreeing with? I said less than 5% of players on TLP are live players farming krono and then you wrote 2 paragraphs saying you don't know any live players who play TLP to farm krono?
  5. Atomos Augur

Boxing is way more prevalent on Live than on TLP. There is absolutely more human beings playing on TLPs.

It's real cute that you think there are a dozen Live servers with thousands of players though, lol.
  6. Triconix Augur

40 guilds have beaten a COV raid. The average raid guild has around 60-70 main raiders alone (2,400-2,800). Live also has an enormously larger casual population than TLP and most of the raid guilds have family/friend members. For example, my raid guild has 63 raiders but 95 mains so that means about 22 F&F. We are on the smaller side of raid guilds from my experience.

If you say all raid guilds have 90 mains you're hitting 3,600 players in just raid guilds. And I know that's a low ball because massive guilds like ROV have a ton of casual members. That also doesn't account for all the non raiding guilds in EQ, which are many and outnumber total raid guilds by a lot.

It's absurd to me that you actually still think TLP outnumbers Live.
  7. Atomos Augur

So the entirety of the raid force on all Live servers combined is barely equivalent to the peak of 1 TLP server?

Good God, maybe Live is worse off than I thought.
  8. Triconix Augur

Your "peak" lasts a week when the super casual leave yet again or live players go back to live. The casual population of Live outnumbers raiders 5-1 easily. There's only 1 TLP server that has a "high" population right now and that's mischief. Riz is artifically inflated due to the box armies. Aradune and Thornblade are probably equal to a single Live server from what I've experienced (I play on Aradune and a medium size live server).

BB and FV alone will outnumber pretty much all TLPs combined minus maybe Mischief and Thornblade.
  9. Tweakfour17 Augur

While I agree with you that it's absurd to think TLP (vastly) outnumbers Live, it's not unreasonable to think TLP are hitting 3600 players, especailly if you consider TLPs beyond the flavor of the year. TLPs supposedly have a population cap of 4k and while this year didn't hit queues for any length of time you also need to factor in the old TLPs, we can joke that Coirnav and Agnarr etc are all dead, but they all still have a few guilds left on them so at the very very least 100-200 active players. I tend to agree with Holly's statement from a few year's ago that TLP and Live are very close in populations.
  10. Triconix Augur

I agree. You also have to account for a significant (not a majority, but a noticeable amount, say 5-10%) of the TLP is primarily live. In my guild on Aradune alone I know of at least 12 people that play live out of our 60ish raider.

You also have to remember many TLP players last only a few months of the year. Once queues go away you're seeing a population already falling off. Are we honestly going to use a single week's population on a brand new TLP server as an accurate number? A good portion of that population is live and/or people from other TLPs trying the new stuff out.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  11. Atomos Augur

On the day of the maintenance that was supposed to be 24 hours but ended after like 16 hours, Mischief was the only high server for the rest of that day, until peak hours the following day.

Mischief has an autokick timer.

Once servers hit Luclin, which includes every Live server, people start to leave their clients on 24/7. There is always a large amount of accounts that aren't actually playing the game in the Bazaar and the main buff locations for the current expansion (Nexus/PoK/GL). Buffs are nice even when these AFK buff locations begin in Luclin, but later on in the game, especially on Live, they are mandatory unless you want to drastically hinder your leveling experience, which you'll be doing solo on a Live server and on TLP depending on what expansion it's on. During Luclin/PoP on TLP you could still ignore the pile and simply shout for buffs no problem.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand since I have to repeat myself like I always do, people around here seem to think that the server status formula is different for TLP, because TLPs have much higher caps.
  12. Triconix Augur

Yeah, after reading this I think I'm done. Logic isn't your friend. This is the furthest from the truth possible.
  13. Atomos Augur

After the way you behaved in Discord the other day I'd probably back out of any and every conversation too, particularly taking the opportunity to avoid responding to facts I can't argue against.
  14. Triconix Augur

If you seriously think 1) full buffs are necessary to perform well on live and 2) you'll be doing most of your time soloing, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to live gameplay. There's this saying that goes better to stay silent and be thought of as the fool than to speak and remove all doubt. You sir, are removing all doubt.

I don't even remember the last time I spent significant time soloing on live because there's this thing called friends (and fellowships) and you do stuff with them.

Based on your analysis of what live is, you either have never played on it or you have zero friends. I wouldn't be shocked if it was both scenarios, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Atomos Augur

Oh I absolutely have no friends on Live, anyone I used to be friends with ditched that sinking ship long ago. And DBG and EQ in general. You realize you're a minority of what the game's population used to be, right? That hundreds of percentages of the games lifetime population doesn't play it, right? Well, of course you don't, because you've sheltered yourself into only playing the game with the same small group of people and that's the only thing that matters to you. I feel sorry for you.

I gave my original account away around PoP because I never planned to play the game again. Final Fantasy XI was such a better game and was really just a better Everquest. Unfortunately World of Warcraft also came out and even though I didn't like it as much as everyone else did, a large amount of my friends both online and off played it, so I didn't have much choice.

Everquest and Final Fantasy XI were both very time consuming games. The average gamer doesn't have - or isn't willing to dedicate - the time to experience (truly experience) games like those.

Back in around 2010 I discovered P99 and decided to get into that. I played on and off for around 5 years, until Phinigel launched, and I moved there. I had to make a new Everquest account (I didn't feel like trying to find the account I gave away so long ago, even though I'm sure I could've, I still have all the original discs with their CD keys, although a different account system was used back then).

Expansion unlocks are a bit too slow for me, so one time in a lull I decided, perhaps it's time to see what Everquest Live is like now. After doing a bit of research on server populations, I decided Firiona Vie was probably the best server to try.

I was pretty disturbed by the lack of people running around. I can't be the only player who is looking to level up in Everquest Live, can I? The more I looked around, the more I saw that many of the people who were logged in weren't actually there, they just left the game on.

So with no one leveling up but me, you know what my options for leveling were? Soloing! With a merc of course. That will take you a great deal of the way, but you eventually hit a breaking point. And even at the breaking point, there still aren't people leveling.

And you want to know why? Because there's no reason to. While I was off playing other games instead of sticking to just one game and one set of friends, you sat here for 22 years playing the same game, with the same people. You have nothing to level, no reason to level. That's kind of what happens in a game that is this old, the high level scene is pretty much the whole game.

You have proven repeatedly that you are completely oblivious and even unwelcoming to the very real experience of players other than yourself. In your attempt to brag about having friends who've been playing EQ for 22 years just like you (what a dire thing to need to brag about, I really do feel sorry for you), so you could feel better about yourself for whatever reason you need to, you totally ignore the facts about what leveling is really like for people who are new, returning, or are playing alone for whatever reason.

And with that attitude, how can you possibly expect Live's population to be in any other situation than what it is.

All that aside, you still said on Discord that multibinding, keybinds, and macros are bad, and that you should click everything. And you got straight shut down for it too.
  16. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

I started Mischief with old models on, then quickly turned on Luclin models. Up until recently, I kept it that way. But since I am often in the tunnel (ports and punts) even my pretty good PC bogs down during prime time, with all the people hanging around. Going back to old models changed that. Now it only happens when I first load into the zone.
  17. Atomos Augur

Triconix, you can continue the discussion in this thread. Although it didn't take you long to go from "yeah I'm done" to harassing me in PMs.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Not really something the rest of us needed to know. Or are you just calling him out publicly?
  19. Atomos Augur

I'm not engaging with an abusive person in private. He can keep his behavior public for everyone to see, or not at all.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Use ignore. Hyperbole, outrage/frustration and solipsistic viewpoints happen. No reason to deal with abuse though.