Grumpy Tanks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dilquan, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

The common denominator in all the arguments about tanks being able to hold aggro is that communication is the responsibility of everyone, the DPS included. A tank shouldn't be in catchup mode because they DPS starts smashing burns without a hotkey. As an ENC, I significantly alter group DPS. Coordinating burns and aDPS is an important part of efficiency. Expecting the tank to be in a constant aggro burn mode because DPS burns without communicating is fatiguing and a terrible attitude to have towards tanks. Working as a team is not the tank's responsibility. It is the responsibility of the entire team. It's a game. Keeping the game enjoyable for the tanks, healers and support roles is not an unreasonable expectation.
    Nennius and Elyssanda like this.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I disagree, if the dps can grind on a mob so can the tank. Its my job to get aggro even if someone is going b***s to the wall. Asking them to not do their job as well as they can so I can do mine worse than I should be seems...bad.
    Ozon, Sancus, Bigstomp and 4 others like this.
  3. Qimble Augur

Yup, outside of right as the boss is being pulled / repositioned DPS should be able to go balls to the wall. After that initial ~30s window where it can get sketchy no tank should ever be losing threat, and if a DPS gets close a single fade should put them low enough that it's not gonna be a problem again.
  4. Whulfgar Augur

As has been pointed out. With all the abilities of every single class to drop agro and tank classes to generate it..

This is literally a lazy tanks fault.. or an over eager dpsers fault..

Tanks fault for not pushing all their buttons instantly..

Dpsers fault for pushing all of theirs instantly..

With the agro meter in game there really is no logical reason either situation should happen.
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Just gonna say I've played this game for.. a long time.. and I only found the aggro meter Last week with my new necro.. then I couldn't remember where I found it on my bards and had to ask about it, and about half the people I know were like "what aggro meter?" .. so that one isn't as common knowledge as you might think.. I love it, I just wish I had known about it much sooner.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

It's really engage or just after memblur that things can be iffy.
    By the time you actually get to look at the aggro meter instead of making sure your buttons have depressed and not lagged out any tank who is remotely paying attention has locked aggro so hard that only another tank should have any hope to take it.
    Triconix likes this.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You never use the extended target window? It's right at the end of the mob's HP bar.

Or is that just my custom UI, and not the default UI? I use AYA.
  8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

nono.. not the ETW, there is a separate aggro meter
    Options>Keys>all>aggro meter window
  9. Axel Furry Hats OP

The aggro meter is just as useful as the number next to your target's name. Just looking at the ETW gives you the same amount of information. Kinda a useless bar if you ask me, would be cooler if it showed everybody's aggro and not just yours & the tank. Or if you're tanking you & the person in second, which you can totally get just by looking at the target bar.
    Qimble and Tatanka like this.
  10. Bigstomp Augur

Rarely an issue. Only useful on a long fight to tell a tank hey, you aren't 2nd on aggro.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

See Axel's reply. The number at the end of the target's HP bar in the ETW is your agro #. If you're the tank, and everything isn't "100", then you know you don't have everyone's attention (and which ones).
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Sigh I'm a bard.. not a tank. and yeah, sometimes I get aggro, because I'm not watching my aggro, this small aggro window helps me pay better attention because I only look at ETW to grab my next target. So I'm doing my part to be better at dropping MY aggro.
  13. Ibudin Augur

My pet can keep agro on full burn so should the raid tank :)
  14. Triconix Augur

Agreed. The only other way would be a tank doesn't know the order of which to hit their abilities. Something stupid like hitting aggro abilities before stacking an aggro mod ability on yourself or double stacking two matching SpA abilities to lose out on over time aggro like hitting Dicho and Warlord's Fury.

If engage is the only iffy thing, we also have counter measures to mitigate it. Drop your UA from the get going to give you a free 18 seconds to build your aggro above everyone else. Not always the best or most recommended strategy, but it does work for those that worry about losing aggro on engages.