New server ideas

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jaxxon, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Up to level 60 a Tank Merc will facilitate solo play pretty well, after that point and until you are within 30 levels of the level cap (85 currently) players have an uphill struggle so I think if any solo content was made for EQ then a solo "levelling path" from 60 onwards would be welcomed, allowing players to catch up to the max level players.
    Stymie likes this.
  2. cybertoothlion Journeyman

Man, just change the freaking Hot Zones once a month!
    That's it! Get people enjoying Norrath instead of spending 15 levels in unrest!
    100% would re-sub right now for this!
  3. CrazyLarth Augur

They need to add some type of sever points for old raids on new servers that allow a blue sever NPC to buy stuff with. Like the Quarm version of blue players playing Quarm to get loot for doing stuff on that special server for their normal toon same acct. They used Special ACH on Quarm for you to claim on a blue server.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

And no BOTS!

Andarriel
  5. Szilent Augur

GoD start for full race/class options? that's a fine idea, but the level 70 stretch of OoW-DoN-DoDH-PoR that would come right after GoD is, by reports, a real lull in the TLP experience
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The only part of that I disliked was PoR, but not just because I don't rate that expansion very highly (neither do many others) but because 4 expansions at 70 felt too long when giving all 3 of the no-level raise ones 8 weeks each.
    I think it could be shortened some to reduce that boredom, something like:

Omens 12 weeks
    DoN 4 weeks
    DoDH 8 Weeks
    PoR 4 weeks
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

And lose up to half of your customer base? I suspect they won't go that way.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

I hated it. Pulled a vampire without knowing about the drunk proc/spell. Killed a few but hated every minute of it. What a stupid mechanic to put on trash mobs.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Your server is DOA with any one of those three removed. Any of us who have played with mercs wouldn't start on a no merc server because we know we'd hate ourselves later.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Drunk 24/7
    Common tongue deactivated and you have to learn what every one is saying.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Brad? Is that you?
  12. Atomos Augur

No Krono trading is extremely unlikely to happen. Krono and the cash shop is one of the big reasons that EQ is still operating today. Making a server that is anti-profit is anti-EQ. You're basically asking to hurt the game when you ask for this.

FV loot rules has been very awesome, I've never gotten to play on a server with it during a relevant time, so this is my first real experience with it, a lot of other people seem to enjoy it as well.

No boxing is another thing that is unlikely. Too many people do it, and again, it is -profit for the company. Boxes cost money, and some people buy cash shop items for their boxes as well. I am not saying that a server wouldn't thrive without boxing population-wise. A great deal of us do not box. But this is too big of a negative to ignore.

Starting at PoP is something I've considered for a while, seeing as that is when the dropoff begins, maybe if we can start everyone at that point instead we can actually get some of us to play beyond PoP. Probably like just 1 month of PoP just for leveling, then start GoD (please stop considering LDON its own expansion).

Mercs is a hard one. Part of the reason they even exist is because of population issues, particularly leveling. I think that the game could simply use better catch up mechanics. The higher the max level, the less experience the lower levels should require. Or possibly giving everything 2 expansions ago or lower a big EXP bonus. In terms of Mercs, maybe the same thing, if level cap is 70, you can no longer summon a Merc when you're level 51 or higher, and they would only be used for leveling.
  13. Tweakfour17 Augur

Out of curiosity have you ever played a TLP from start up through at least SoD? I doubt you'd be wanting to remove mercs if you had, sadly they were put in back when SoD was live for a reason and that reason still applies when a TLP makes it there. There is just less and less people playing and available to group. I suppose an SoD start with mercs temporarily disabled could be an option but I don't forsee that being much more popular than Miragul was sadly.
  14. Rauven Augur

I was comparing the players between both games (in both cases they are people). As touchy and vulnerable as the ones in FFXIV are, they can handle simple mechanics. Its ironic because the EQ players in general consider themselves more capable than other games' players because of how hard EQ is. When its not.
  15. Nolrog Augur

Is this a contest to come up with the worst, least viable possible server you can think of? Because if it is, you got a pretty fracking solid entry.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can't compare the players when the game style is that different. EQ and FFXIV are very different games and you can't compare simple mechanics in one game to simple mechanics in another. I would also argue that moving around just to move around is a pointless mechanic and one that is just silly at the group level in EQ.
    Niskin likes this.
  17. Rauven Augur

I just did. It happened. They're both tab-target MMORPGs.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure but there are a lot of differences and the player base of EQ is nothing like the player base of FFXIV and trying to say they are the same based on a single mechanic is silly and displays a lack of knowledge.
  19. quakedragon Augur

They do make solo play but comes with worse xp I'm guessing? The weak conned mobs, I'm not sure if they give less xp then non weak conned. The game needs to balance solo and group play.
    I think in TBS it was balanced, had a lot of group missions worth doing, also solo content while waiting for those group missions like killing shisar, kiting efreeti's, doing solo content. TSS was a good solo/group expansion too.
    Expansions like broken mirror, cotf? Thats group game, I don't see any solo in that. I can see why people rely on boxes. Sure you could solo in any expansion, but is it worth it? Not so much in those expansions.

They already do this, hot zones doesn't work in my opinion. If they make some zone you DISLIKE, and you really like dragon scale hills, your going to dsh regardless of what hotzone is, like hotzone is that PoR zone, wtf is that? You going to dsh. If it aint one of your top 3 your familiar with, you aint going to that hotzone.

I think this is the best bet. I'd say let UF be the starting expansion. UF is less popular and waiting a month for UF and waiting another month for the next, people going to leave. I'd say HoT let that be a 2 week thing and after VoA is released wait a month or two before releasing the other expansions.

But again, start everyone 85/1000, that way theres no such thing as you having to or relying on someone else to 'catch you up'. Your 85, you can group with anyone no matter how deep it gets into the TLP. None of this I'm lvl 50, came back and TLP is now lvl 80, I can't group with anyone, I'm screwed. Wont happen if everyone starts at 85, you can get to 90, take your break, come back when everyone is lvl 110, and still play with the 110s.

Purpose of the TLP should be, getting to know whats NEW with EQ. I mean how many returning players actually stuck around and played through expansions 18-27? Expansion 18-27 is old news to current playerbase but for returning players thats NEW stuff. It's overwhelming to learn about 9 different expansions. A TLP would be nice.

Maybe along with the 85/1000 starting at UF TLP, they could release an updated Hero's Journey, like after 85. I mean why does Hero's Journey end at expansion 15? What happened to expansions 16-27? Hero's journey is good way to get new newplayers familiar with expansion 1-15, but now its 16-27, people are clueless. Very little in game help, and thats 11 expansions of cluelessness. It's not bad if there is others going through similar experience but its your on your own cluelessness for 11 expansions, thats not fun. TLP starting at UF would be very helpful and enjoyable.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Heros Journey went in around the same time as Underfoot (the first expansion to have achievements from what I remember). So after completing Heros Journey you then move on to doing the individual expansion achievments. This is why all the expansion prior to Underfoot only have hunter, raid and explore achieves.
    Skuz likes this.