24 hour down time

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by crs250, Jul 21, 2021.

1. crs250 New Member

I just noticed the current patch notes say this, was this always the case? I have many questions, is game time credited back for this on all access levels? How about an xp bonus weekend to make up for this? I don't ever recall this long of a down time, anyone else surprised by this?
  2. RABKkehhalla Elder

You don't get anything except down time.
    Tweakfour17 and Namde like this.
  3. Xhartor Augur

It happens once or twice a year. Probably means they have back-end project going on that requires taking down the servers and they need time to test in additional apply to the software updates and making the server come up and pass basic post patch checks.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

It seems to be needed once a year or so.

No.

No.

No.

Seriously, though, it's been talked about for a couple of weeks here at least. It never ceases to amaze me that people expect compensation for scheduled downtime.

I tell you what. Send me your address and I'll send you the 50 cents of subscription time you lost. It's probably more like 25 cents because you weren't going to play for all 24 hours anyway, but I'm generous.
    Tweakfour17 and Karreck like this.
  5. Ruhi Augur

no - it was posted well in advance for expectations to be set correctly.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Martell New Member

The original poster has a point. In the current market reality, a 24 hour downtime is unheard of. I have been away from EQ for about a decade, and I did a double take when I saw how long this service outage is. It is simply.... odd.
  7. Cainen Augur

I'd be surprised if its actually 24 hours, last year it was closer to 10ish, but we'll see.

As others have said, its a rare(~once a year occurrence) and they generally give a month or so notice. Not ideal for sure but older software means more problems. Rather they do it right the first time then try and rush it and have crashes for days like some others games I've played.
  8. Triconix Augur

They have zero point. Read the EULA.
    Tweakfour17 and CatsPaws like this.
  9. Namde Augur

They said 24 hours so they look like heroes when it’s back in 12. That’s my hope anyway. :)
    Demetri and CatsPaws like this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Maybe they have been gradually moving the game/game mechanics to new servers or something and they will surprise us all someday with the announcement:eek:
  11. Martell New Member

Ease off the trigger there Tex. (Why folks get so riled up when a person questions the policies & practices of Everquest developers/distributors is beyond me.)

I was referring to the OP's "point" about a 24 hour service outage being an anomaly anywhere outside of EQ.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How many threads do we need asking for compensation every time there is any downtime?
  13. Martell New Member

I don't know - haven't been around the forums in about a decade. I am guessing by your tone - quite a lot. But once again, that isn't my point.

My point is that a service outage of 24 hours is, by any current standard, bizarre. I don't think any compensation is needed. I wouldn't mind an explanation of why it takes so long, but I don't expect or feel entitled to it.

I was simply voicing my surprise which mirrored the OP's surprise.
  14. Xeris Augur

Applying current standards to a game that's over 20 years old seems counterproductive. Anyways, servers are up :p
  15. Cainen Augur

[quote="Martell, post: 4049445, member: 425745" My point is that a service outage of 24 hours is, by any current standard, bizarre. I don't think any compensation is needed. I wouldn't mind an explanation of why it takes so long, but I don't expect or feel entitled to it.
    I was simply voicing my surprise which mirrored the OP's surprise.[/quote]

It for server mergers. While they haven't given specifics, there have been dev posts saying that EQ is old and complicated so whenever they do a merge it takes an extra long time to make sure it all moved properly and the new server is happy.

That's why its generally only once a year. I can only imagine what a system that is 20+ year old and once ran on flat files looks like with all the feature creep now. hehe
  16. Atomos Augur

Servers have been up for a while, FYI.
    Loratex likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not only did they announce and explain the downtime a month in advance the game wasn't actually down for 24 hours. But my point still stands there are plenty of posts each time we get some sort of downtime that someone doesn't like and it gets really old. People need to understand that this is an online game with no promise of how much uptime there will be and at times there will need to be an extended downtime.
  18. Nolrog Augur

I had my first day off since 2019 and I was planning on playing EQ a couple hours to relax before going back to work. My next day off won't be until mid-to-late 2025 and they had to take the servers down the one day I could play.