Do you guys actually play with new character models on?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by urbanbo70, Jul 21, 2021.

1. urbanbo70 Elder

I will never understand this, the old models are so much better. If you have never played with old on, I highly advise trying it. This is one thing that should have never been messed with like the Freeport "upgrade".
    Dre., kizant and Yohan like this.
  2. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Last time I saw a new model was when luclin originally launched and I turned it off promptly.
    Pumpernickel, Duder, Kobra and 2 others like this.
  3. Thash Zoner

I'm just here to agree heartily. Sometimes I load up the new ones just to see how terrible everything looks for other people.
    Duder, Xanadas and Yohan like this.
  4. Kazzuk Elder

Meh, its all a matter of opinion, I like them both actually, and don't play on a potatoe so can pick and choose.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  5. Gnothappening Augur

I think it is because the original models had hand painted faces and such in order to make them look good as they were such low poly models. Later they were using the swanky new model system and didn't really hand paint the faces so much. We basically went from cardboard cutouts with hand painted faces, to Mr. Potato heads with plug in parts.
    Stymie and Kylo Classic like this.
  6. Branntick Augur

Old models look extremely out of place in any content from GoD and beyond imo.
  7. Thash Zoner

Handsome, well animated cardboard cutouts, though. I remember this phase when more polygons was the answer to every awful art decision, and I wondered who gave their cousin or nephew the job.

Even worse, many players didn't see the problem..
  8. Atomos Augur

I think Luclin models are atrocious and don't fit the game at all. They look so... fake? IDK. Old models just feel like they have so much more personality. I don't care that the Luclin models have more "detail." I prefer personality over detail or trying to look more "realistic."

My only problem is that with Luclin models you stop seeing new armor and stuff made for old models and so old models get a lot of copy and paste. On a 32 bit client though the improved detail and better looking equipment isn't worth the performance hit (go run through EC tunnel with them turned on and off, night and day difference), though probably less of an issue on Live where there's a lot less players except in AFK piles.
    Duder likes this.
  9. Atomos Augur

I prefer pre-Luclin zone textures to anything afterwards. I can't think of any post-Luclin areas that I actually like the look of, though there's a great deal I haven't seen.
  10. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

There are some really, visually stunning areas in post-Luclin EQ. I will say, however, that every zone that was part of the graphics "revamp" was a significant step backwards.
    Dre. and jiri_ like this.
  11. Sorrows New Member

The only real solution is to run with deputy illusion on all of the times.

My whole group does =)
    Thash likes this.
  12. Lanffear Filthy Boxer

I run with as many models disabled as I can (pets, mercs, other players, etc). My own character is a new model although I'd disable that one too if I could. I'm not too fussed with one set over the other and don't understand people with such aggressive opinions one way or the other.
  13. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Still don't have Deputy =( but my dwarf pally runs the guard illusion much of the time for visibility... and BEEFCAKE!
  14. Kazzuk Elder

Check out CPUAffinity settings and... don't play on a potatoe. If the models gave you lag you need to tweak your settings.
  15. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Old world elementals >>> New elementals hands down. Aside from that, I find these discussions amusing but absurd. Who cares what other people enjoy in the character models? The overall worst part of the pre/post Luclin PC model changes was that Trolls and Ogres went from unique models to ham-fisted meat bags stretched over a human body.
    jiri_ and Lanffear like this.
  16. MischiefTLP Augur

/hidemodels all
    Lanffear likes this.
  17. Branntick Augur

Doesn't matter. Hardware makes no difference in EQ's performance if you have anything from the past decade.

Luclin models can reduce my FPS by half in congested areas vs. classic models, and that is with an 8700k/2080 that are 20% utilized at most.
  18. Gnothappening Augur

Social animations are a big hit on performance.
  19. Firesyde424 Journeyman

I am not the biggest fan of the Luclin models. However, I prefer my Dark Elf cleric to look like a Dark Elf rather than a vaguely Dark Elf shaped collection of blocks.

Having said that, I never understood people's preoccupation with what models someone uses. I found a workaround years ago on P99 using the SoD client that allowed Luclin models to be used. That forum thread descended into a cesspit of flame and rancor that I did not see coming and still do not understand. It boggles me that people would care so much about something that has absolutely zero impact on their gameplay or experience. Unless I tell or show people, they will have no idea if I'm using Luclin models or not.
    Stymie likes this.
  20. Bolten_DA Augur

Stick figures is the way to go!
    code-zero likes this.