Autofollow problems

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by OlavSkullcrusher, Jul 14, 2021.

1. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

A few weeks ago, I started having trouble with autofollow on my 3-box teams. (I play in windowed mode on a single computer.) I didn't change any settings that I can think of, but the toons that are auto-following in the non-active windows are regularly auto-following poorly when I didn't used to have these problems. The main thing that is occurring is that they start running in big circles around the active one that they are following when he comes to a stop. As soon as I switch the active window to one of them, they zero in properly on the one they are following (if he's still in range). In the past when I would see this behavior, it would be something that only occasionally occurred and it would seem to self-correct when I rebooted, or it just wouldn't be happening the next time I played.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do or check that might fix it?

Edit: oh, I suppose this would have been better posted in Player Support. If a mod wants to move it there, that would be fine.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I've been seeing this for years. Jealous that you've only just started seeing this now ;)
    Nolrog likes this.
  3. Conq Augur

It's obviously a lag issue. If it's just started, them perhaps something changed in your system via an update? I'd double check that your EQ folder is added as an exemption to your internet security, sometimes updates change that. Otherwise, a few years ago, I read on one of these posts, to change my (Settings -> Display -> Advanced) Max Background FPS to 50 or so. I noticed a huge improvement to my boxes' autofollowing - both characters on the same computer as well as characters on a different computer.
    I think there's a more comprehensive post around here somewhere detailing quite a few system and in-game settings to minimize your lag. But an obscure thing I've found also helps is handling your chat windows/tabs. I have a spam window setup for all the junk I want to ignore, but I never close or minimize that junk window, just make it small and hide behind some other window. That's also helped clear up lag for me. Warning: if you do minimize your junk window, then open it after some time playing (and filling it with spam) - people have been known to crash by just opening that window. Good luck with your battle with the lag monster.
    Conq
  4. Angahran Augur

There was a great option in DAOC I think it was, in addition to a /follow type command there was /stick.
    What that did was basically stick you to a target at max melee range and if you used left/right you would move in that direction around the target. If the target moved, you would move with it.
    Nennius and Dre. like this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

Go to your boxes and turn down the background FPS. I don't remember the setting. When it's on, your boxes will use a much lower framerate when they are in the background. That will help them follow better, not sink so much with lev on, etc.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's exactly the opposite advice usually given to solve this problem. Conq above calls for setting it to 50 fps.

I heard that a low frame rate is what makes the boxes fall behind. The faster frame rate is what lets them keep up.
    dank likes this.
  7. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

:D I've seen this at various times ever since I started boxing, but in the last few weeks, it has been constant. I'll try some of the tricks people have mentioned. It does seem like it could be a framerate issue, as I also notice that when I hover the mouse over the tabs and it shows me those small versions of the open applications, that the boxes seem to be running slow.
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I did two things, and one of them seemed to work. I added eqgame.exe to the list of apps that could go through the windows firewall, and upped the background FPS to 50, as suggested. I think it was probably the background FPS that did it. Maybe that setting had changed at some point in the past? *shrugs* Thanks for the suggestions, whichever did the trick!
  9. Bigstomp Augur

Autofollow has gotten much worse recently (by recently I mean 6+ months).
    After cranking background FPS to unlimited, there was a long period of time where I could trust autofollow to work through some crazy ramps and turns.
    Nowadays, on nice flat open ground which should be about the perfect situation for autofollow the toons on autofollow like to go wandering around in huge loops.

It feels like before I fixed the background FPS years ago with how often they like to go on a walkabout.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Something has changed with /fol recently.

I use it on raids to find the players who have won HF ornaments in raids, instead of it turning me and moving me to them, I run off in totally the opposite direction until I become out of range.

Only started a couple of weeks ago.
  11. Nolrog Augur

I have been having auto-follow issues for a while. I would click follow and the other toon would run off in the complete opposite direction. I play on 3 toons each on their own PC (true box).
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Cadira Augur

Yeah turn background fps slider to the max if your comp can handle it, melts most auto follow problems like butter.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

Oops, you are right. I should have looked at the setting before I posted. I was going from memory.
    Tatanka likes this.