Grumpy Tanks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dilquan, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Tucoh Augur

Haha. My boxes have evolved to just taking directions via /tells. My beastlord can pull aggro with his dot lineup when he hits the non focused mob.

But yeah, when i group and see a dps hesitating i dare them to try to pull aggro on a burn.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It has long been a meme that rangergate was a thing because rangers sucked.

Nope. The meme was totally made up by poor tanks who could not out aggro their superior DPS and got shown up as they had the free time in general chat.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Also- This is the main healer's point of leverage. If the DPS keeps ganking aggro /tell Tankname "I'm not healing his dumb a$$ anymore" = another tank on my friendlist.
    Tour likes this.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

If the tank cant keep agro hes not a good tank period!

Andarriel
    Stymie and Ssdar like this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

Id just like to add:
    When we have 2 tanks in a group - if you want to fight each other for agro please stand on the same side of the mob so it doesnt turn. When a tank turns the mob its just as much bad form as when a ranger does. In fact the tank should know better.
    Sissruukk, Skuz and Tucoh like this.
  6. Tyranthraxus Grognard

But... then how are we supposed to sacrifice the ranger who isn't grabbing aggro to do it himself? The loot gods must be appeased!
  7. Cicelee Augur

Was grouped with a tank in some COV zone a few weeks ago. He tried tanking 2-3 at once and died a couple times. I would then off tank one of the mobs with a pet to help out. This guy was irate.

I am curious why a tank would be upset when a pet class helps off tank on a multiple mob pull.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Unless the tank is slacking, if the dps is doing enough to pull aggro, odds are good they are geared/aa'd so well that they can take the hits if they pull aggro as well.

I made fun of it above, but really, if the tank is paying attention we can hold aggro over anyone who is not another tank generally on anything important. (war buttons could be down on a new trash mob, hopefully another tank gets it during those few seconds)
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Most tanks are egomaniacs.
    Nennius likes this.
  10. The real Sandaormo Augur

Not me!
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

Denial. So sad. :)
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

If you are planning on a burn rage of rallos is pretty much an 'I Win' button for aggro.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

If you're doing it without warning, I can see that. By default we expect to have aggro on all the mobs that come into camp.
    If you warn the tank in advance hey, if you get 2-3 I'll OT one, assuming it stops hitting me/other people and starts hitting your pet, I cannot see a problem with this.
    Unless it's slowing us down or something I'm happy to get hit less often.
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. Tucoh Augur

Bingo.

Just to add my two cents: I frequently group with a necro typically and know which situations he's going to offtank in and have no problem with it. It's saved us frequently when we've been punching above our weight.

Tanks are highly tuned into the extended target window and if we see a mob isn't hitting us we are trained to expect it's beating on a healer or DPS and we have a very limited amount of time to figure out how to get aggro back before that person dies and we've failed our group. If a pet class leaves taunt on and starts randomly peeling mobs we'll switch targets, pop a bunch of aggro buttons before we even notice it's just a pet.

Also, plate tanks have so much better mitigation than pets that if a healer is expected to heal the pet, they'll have to spend more effort switching targets and spending mana than just focusing on the tank.
    Sissruukk and Skuz like this.
  15. Warpeace Augur

Because you told them they sucked at their "One job" by off tanking a mob so they didn't die constantly?:D
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Reminded me of the old days (Luclin/PoP) when I did small time raids with my guild. It wasn't unusual for me to pull agro, especially since we didn't have agro meters. Your first inclination is to run around/away, but that's wrong. If you get agro and don't want it, make the tank's job easier. Run and take your mob right in front of the tank. Easy for them to grab it, and then you can go back to where you need to be.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

I suspect some tanks parse their dps and it suffers when they arent riposting.
  18. The real Sandaormo Augur

I don't know that he should have been irate but if you are not used to grouping with other tanks or pet classes, it can be a little unnerving to give up the control of having all mobs on you.

I would think this is more of a communication problem, meaning make sure he knows you can handle one if the group gets 3 etc. With extended you could even say you had the 3rd on the list etc so you are not fighting over a mobs agro.
    Nennius likes this.
  19. Gundolin Augur

Strange, when we use a low level or undergeared tank we often keep pet taunt on in the group and bounce agro around the group, makes healing easier. But most tanks I group with have no problem staying up on continuous 2-3 mob pulls. In those situations we just keep pet taunt up because its fun to see the tank get mad. ;)
    Metanis likes this.
  20. Axel Furry Hats OP

Having a pet taunt off me means that you have to focus on keeping your pet alive, which means you're putting out less DPS, the healer is focusing on healing your pet instead of healing me (or DPS'ing), I'm not riposting.

Overall, everyone loses when the tank isn't the one taking the hits. For n00b tanks that can't tank what is pulled, sure, that's fine, but otherwise you'd be dumb to have a pet taunt off a real tank when the tank can tank.
    Svann2 likes this.