What happens to the Felwhite epic plaques on server merge?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This is awesome. Thank you.
  2. FranktheBank Augur

lol nice, now all the Povar people are gonna be like "where are all these people"
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Are they your boxes?

If not, someone or their family/friends care.

(I say this not directed at you personally).
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Will this only happen if the player is still on the server?
  5. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I am honestly amazed that worked given how Tests experience with some of those has been "inscription belongs to someone who testcopied in with it having an earlier date of creation"
  6. FranktheBank Augur

No, then the entire thing would be pointless.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If the player has moved off the server prior to merge, or gained an x at the end of their name what is the point?
  8. dank Journeyman

Cool! Will the solution as implemented continue to work automatically in future server merges, or will it need to be remembered and manually done each time?
  9. SteamFox Augur

Askiing the real questions. Also with Vox being the destination for most TLP is there a limit to how many players this will remember?
  10. sk8jack Journeyman

Greetings, also would like to ask, will the epic ornament plaques in Coirnav be transferring to Vox for the coming server merge?
    Majority of us on Coirnav will be transferring to Bertox prior to the server merge, so in this case, when the merger occurs, the plaques will go to Vox thereafter?
  11. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Ahh, the good old days of having to post log dumps in IRC to verify world firsts because none of us trusted a few specific others enough to take them at their word.
  12. niente Developer

When you finish the special Epic Request for your class first on a server, a script is run that puts your name in server-side data in Northern Felwithe. If you name change, character transfer, delete your character etc. the data doesn't currently have a way to go with you or update (it's just written there once). Right now I don't have a better solution for the plaques post server merge other than also merging the plaque names. The DB data doesn't contain unique character IDs it will just say something like "Soandso" and it would be a lot of work to confirm which Soandso is the one who finished the quest first on xyz server, and did they name/server change and then add the data there (manually). I realize a lot of these people are gone, but I think it is a better server merge policy to preserve these instead of just not bothering. I'll think about if there is another way to handle these (if we change the epic request script to save the player's ID it would be more possible to do, but still a lot of work to go back and add the data to existing ones), but for now this is the best we can do.
    Rondor, Szilent, Nennius and 2 others like this.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

The first player per class that achieved the quest reward is all that matters. As Povar is much older than Selo, the players from Selo do not matter. It is not needed to mention them additionally. You are disparaging all the players from Povar that had achieved the rewards, before the players from Selo did so, by mentioning the Selo players on the plaques.
  14. Szilent Augur

I think the existing way you did is totally the right way, preserving the historicity and locality of the achievement. Folks moving around & name changing & such is on them.

My only, selfish & very narrow, wish is that those characters I have that started on servers that were gone before Retellings had their origin servers reflected. But that circles back, the servers *were* gone by then so the achievement was on the merged server with its merged name. C'est la vie.
    Rondor and Nennius like this.
  15. Monkeychunks Augur

Well, it all comes out in the wash as they say. There are 16 classes in EQ so this really only affects those 16 players times how many ever servers merge.
  16. Brickhaus Augur

If only there was the same effort for projects that affect more than 16 people...
  17. Tevik Augur

Hey, I know that guy.
    Rondor, CrazyLarth and niente like this.
  18. niente Developer

I strongly disagree. If Povar merged with another server, they would want their names preserved as well, even if the server name was no longer Povar. It is not up to you or I to determine which players do and do not matter.
    Rondor, Smokezz, Aziuno and 6 others like this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Rubbish & snobbery make for bad bedfellows. Acknowledging the achievements of Selo players post merge with Povar in absolutely no way diminishes the achievements of Povar players.
    Server Merges are a fact of life & everyone is going to need to stop clutching their pearls & accept there are some facts of life involved in that - Povar gets some new players, that's a good thing, it comes with a very small price tag.
    Rondor, Conq and Nennius like this.
  20. Act of Valor The Newest Member

For those of us that aren't extraordinarily selfish, we're happy to have the plaque show everyone that has gotten it first for their server. The mere mention of another server is disparaging nobody.
    Skuz likes this.