Modern EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by quakedragon, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Earning loot by shutting off the game and watch some streamers instead, seems to go against the very point of gaming. I honestly don't understand why that would be popular.
    Gaming is interactive entertainment, watching streams is passive entertainment, they are opposites... o_O

And, yes I had to google it too...:p
    CatsPaws and Tatanka like this.
  2. DeadRagarr Augur

Its a very popular feature in ESO, especially with casual players.

Usually (I bet a lot of EQ players that say they wouldn't probably would), they give out familiars or other cosmetic things to go alongside an expansion launch. But an XP potion is probably too much (Cut into TLP profits), however for TLP a free Clarity/Haste package would get a lot of watch. Pets etc would be nice for modern.

And by watch I mean pull up and alt tab back to game. Or watch mid kill. I mean its EQ. It doesn't require 100% attention at all times.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Atomos Augur

Erm, Twitch drops aren't new and a pretty big deal.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

What is an "ESO"?

Am I the only one who plays EQ fullscreen with full focus, and only tabs out when looking something up at eqresource/zam?
    Sissruukk, minimind and Yinla like this.
  5. Atomos Augur

...Why on earth would you need to close the game to watch a stream?
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

It's a gimmick we don't need. OTOTH, I could watch the videos at work.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Can you play and watch a stream at the same time?

Not paying attention to the game is disrespectful to your group imo.
    CatsPaws and Yinla like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

ESO is what you wind up playing when you mis type EQ

Nah, your not alone. I play with a couple copies of the game up and only tab out to look up quests, tradeskill stuff and like that.
  9. Elskidor Augur

Necromancer's are dropping twitch all the time and nobody seems to care.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

So iiuc, twitch pays daybreak to get eyes on their site and people click into it on another tab and then ignore it just to get free pixels? Is that close to accurate? And twitch can tell their advertisers "look how many people watch us".
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Being as EQ ditched Twitch in favour of Facebook for their broadcasts I don't see this ever happening. Only thing EQ is good for these days is EQ dev interviews from alovingrobot but not seen any of those lately.
  12. Riou EQResource

I don't think they pay anything, but it is mutually beneficial for both sides, since twitch gets more hours viewed (with ads and subs they take a cut of, bits, etc) and the game catches more free advertising to help boost its player #'s (and any conversions to boost payments they get for subs, in game shops, etc)
    Gyurika Godofwar and Ssdar like this.
  13. Riou EQResource

EQ only left Twitch because Daybreak Games made a deal with Facebook Gaming for exclusive streaming (around the time they tried building the h1z1 esports league), this was before it was found out that Facebook was extremely inflating its viewership numbers and overcharging advertisers for the numbers they really had, which also ended up hurting a lot of other video companies who tried leaving youtube and that

idk if this deal is still in place, but it also doesn't effect anything, Activision-Blizzard made a deal with Youtube for their live esports tournaments, yet all their in game bonuses that you get for watching live streams are for Twitch only broadcasts
  14. Atomos Augur

It's pretty safe to assume that people in the group are watching TV, alt tabbing, playing a game on their phone or even playing 2 games at once on 1 computer. Some people do this while they're at work.

Having multiple monitors on 1 computer or a laptop to act as one is extremely common as well.

Playing 1 EQ account and watching 1 stream is basically the exact same thing as 2 boxing.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Ssdar like this.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Overseer on the phone would be awesome.

Andarriel
  16. Randel Flag Elder

i seem to get a lot of people who watch the twitch stream on the phone wile playing and that usualy coz they get up to go outside to smoke and take the phone with them.
  17. Quik Augur

I may only speak for myself, but twitch drops would be a quick and guaranteed way to lose me as a customer.

No offense to anyone who enjoys twitch/youtube/whatever...I don't see how it would be fair to give rewards to people who watch these out of game apps, while people who are actually playing the game, and actually spending real money on xp pots, aren't.

Yes, lots of games do it but most of those games are geared toward what I would maybe unfairly say is the younger crowd. EQ is, again maybe unfairly said IMHO, mainly an older crowd who are generally a totally different type of player, and a lot of these older players aren't interested in being forced to watch these out of game apps to receive rewards.
    Jumbur, Elyssanda and Yinla like this.
  18. Atomos Augur

Forced? How are you being forced?
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I sometimes worry if it is a slippery slope to something else, tbh.
    "you must click 5 banner-ads on www.our-partners.com to open this chest"

A lot of the stuff you see in gaming now, would have been unthinkable 15 years ago, just think of lootboxes... and peoples acceptance of pay2win.
    I think gaming is going in the wrong direction currently...:(
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Holy cow, you're missing the point.

I'm old, too, and would never watch a game being streamed when I could be actually playing the game.

Having said that, I would totally open a tab and let it stream away, and collect whatever drop loots there are. Nobody says you actually have to WATCH the stream ;)