Modern EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by quakedragon, Jun 28, 2021.

1. quakedragon Augur

Hello everyone,

Was thinking about EQ and its state with modern gaming.
    One thing I notice other games have is Twitch drops.
    Would be nice if EQ was modern gaming and had twitch drops.

Another thing is #esports, every game has it, big or small. If EQ still had the card game that could be an esports event. I'd say PvP but I think its broken in this game, hence why I think card game is better. This game could use more mini games, like racing, card game, things like overseer but more competitive.

Just a few things I noticed that this game is lacking that modern games have and to consumer it doesn't seem like much effort to get it done. I mean twitch drop, seems easy peezy to setup. It would increase viewership on Twitch and you know people with nostalgia lane, if they see someone playing the game and having fun they'd come play too, so it helps with playerbase. Minigames would be fun though, a racing minigame, good way to create a platsink too. Ex. every 2 hours there is a race, and get participation and winning rewards from it.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

We had a card game (LON), it was canceled cause they closed the Denver office with the employees who were handling that. So they took the server down.

Also there were not very many players who were really into it. And many of those that tried to play could not understand it.

It was kinda cool, you could play the computer or other players. And had some super rewards. Some of them are still available thru the marketplace. But it also had a ton of oinker rewards. And of course those are usually both of the rewards you get when you buy a pack. :)

But we still have /gems

I doubt anything good would drop on twitch - the majority of it would be just like the crates we have now where most players get a different kind of oinker reward than the LON prizes. I just see a huge influx of petitions for that one.

Oveerseer was unexpected and the rewards are ok - nothing great like LON had. It goes to prove that they are always working on stuff behind the scenes and not a single one of us know what they are thinking or doing or what is coming up until they announce.

I guess folks will just have to alt tab out and play some other game at the same time if they are bored in EQ
    Gyurika Godofwar and Andarriel like this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Maybe Im just old-fashioned, but Im not sold on the whole "twitch drop" concept.
    I prefer my games to be "self-contained", and not involve any outside social media interaction.
    Karliv, Elyssanda and Duder like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I remember how well the "Raptr" promotion worked in games like RIFT (not very), but it did not last as it could never generate enough interest, I think the Twitch drops are right in the same boat as that - it's a gimmick like many others before it.

Will it catch on? Well with Twitch being fairly popular and having been around a while...maybe, it could just as easily see a competitor show up in the next few months or years that completely eclipses it though so I see little value to EQ in doing that.
  5. sadre Augur

/pizza
    Bangzoom, Stymie and Elyssanda like this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Searching "twitch drop".

I know what twitch is, but don't know what the phrase means.

Maybe EQ doesn't have/need them, because we're all old, and don't even know what it is, LOL ;)
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I have looked up twitch drops, and decided I'm all for them in EQ.

Finally, a way to AFK and still get loot in game ;)
  8. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Wouldn't DPG have to have their own official Twitch channel (do they already?) that they stream content from for drops to work? I get them from Rocket League, but only when I watch content on their official channel.
  9. Riou EQResource

They can allow anyone in the category or "partnered" streamers to have drops
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Stupid question what is a twitch drop? i dont do twitch so have no idea.

Andarriel
    Stymie and Yinla like this.
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea i never really tried to play or understand it. If it would of been magic the gathering that would be awesome though as i actually played back in the mid 90's. I love overseer good xp over time and with tradeskills and collection stuff its pretty cool. I got around 500 collections getting ready for next expansion so i can get all the cov ones lol. Course i need to get for my wizard account too love big bags and trophies and such.

Andarriel
  12. Riou EQResource

You watch certain amount of time of specific streams and twitch gives you a reward, usually tied into the game, so for example it can be like Watch 30 minutes of EQ and get a free EXP potion in game or something, it can be longer and tiered too like 2 / 4 / 6 hours and 3 rewards based on that
    Andarriel and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Wouldn't they rather have people playing the game?

We didn't have any summer bonus rewards last year for logging in, doesn't look like we will get one this year.

They need to do things to get players to log in not watch someone else okay.

That said I did enjoy everquest world on my phone until they dropped the app.
    Accipiter and Jumbur like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Overseer would make a great phone app I think, especially if they added a guild chat function.
    But rather they spent money on the game than on gimmicks.
  15. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

LoN would have done better as a mobile App but it was before that time.
    I for one have never watched a twitch so I couldn’t tell you if it would “help” anything. Can’t you just stream with nvidia or twitch itself? What would be the benefit of a client side dump? I remember when they added client side mic. Shut it off that day.
  16. Riou EQResource

They made one, but never released it, it was an american themed uncle sam style top hat thing

The whole twitch drop thing is more to boost the category and make a game look more popular or catch people who haven't played in a long time, to bring up its relevance, basically video game marketing has changed a few years ago to now include or focus on paying top twitch streamers to play your game and dominate the other categories during release time

EQ is pretty old so it probably wouldn't work as well but it might get returning players catching it if the category looked more popular
  17. Randel Flag Elder

i may be biased (being an everquest twitch streamer) but i like the idea of some twitch drops :p
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Post revamp if/when that ever happens would be the time to definitely give the idea of twitch engagement another look, right now EQ is just the crusty old grandfather of MMORPG's.
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

WTH is a twitch drop?
    Yinla likes this.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Google it like the rest of us did:D:p:D;)

And that would be why it is not likely to happen. Half the readers of this post had to look it up - that's a way of saying "not real popular"

I see someone did explain it above these posts