Misty Acorn (graphic issue, item location & forage)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Drakah, May 14, 2020.

1. Drakah UI Designer

I had done a /bug many weeks ago but did not notice any action on it.

The "Misty Acorn" items, used in the ToV tradeskills for food, is highly popular mainly because it is insanely hard to forage, so people are just in zone trying to forage these. Can we increase the forage rate? On average, it is 1 acorn every 3 hours, same as the Coarse Salt is 1 every 3 hours, very painful.

But that isn't the real issue.... you CAN find these on the floor if you look hard enough once you know what you are looking for. I found out that the acorn on the ground looks like a really really really bad tiny green patchy square, does not look like a acorn or anything related and has no height, it is just a mini green razorblade. Can you change this to something more distinguishable? Also the main issue is I find a ton of these are stuck just under the ground that you cannot find these unless you stumble upon one that has a little bit peaking threw the ground that you can click. Please check why the Z axis is sticking them too far under the ground.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Elyssanda, Zynt, Skuz and 13 others like this.
  2. Darkkeep Journeyman

YES< PLEASE fix this!!
  3. Ninelder Augur

They revamped Misty Thicket many years ago. I had assumed it was in preparation to add an expansion off of it. That never happened. When they revamped it, they did not change how the zone spawns work. The devs may not understand what was done, so the coders haven't figured out what to look for.

Whoever redid the spawns for the acorns did not put them to respawn in static spots. They drop from a derivative formula instead. I only know this because I plotted the spawn points and after about a year of spawn points figured it out. I know they drop(like most old world mobs) from the sky, because I have found them in the trees. Now they are also under the "new" terrain, which is informative(to me anyway) as it lets you know the items "drop" phased to ground terrain but not tree terrain. Kind of fascinating figuring it all out from the back end. Auld world mobs also drop "phased," which is telling about a different sort of thing because if they are targettable/trackable before-hand it means they have a specifically different spawn mechanic like for a named mob or named cycle.

All that aside, if you devs can't find the derivative formula to fix; you can just add Misty Acorns to the zone-wide mob drop list, like you did for Sylvan Berries and Steamfont Spring Water. If you decide to leave the Misty Acorns in as ground spawns give them a larger(vertical) object to make them easier to spot and stick out above the "new" terrain.
  4. Darkkeep Journeyman

Thank you, now lets see if they fix it, =:(
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

The best part is when some spawn in trees 40 feet off the ground ;)
    Skuz and minimind like this.
  6. Darkkeep Journeyman

Yea saw that to!
  7. Ratalthor Developer

This is as intended and is not a bug, so I am moving this thread to the veterans lounge.
  8. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Just to clarify: it's intended that acorns don't look anything like acorns?

Perhaps DGB could ad a sparkle or glow graphic to interactable items like other MMOs do. Just a thought.
    Drakah and Velisaris_MS like this.
  9. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I'm not succeeding in avoiding being a little harsh here. But if it is intended for food for max level players to depend on something foraged and with a ground spawn in a newbie zone where players can spend a couple hours there with a 105+ ranger or druid and their forage mastery and still only get a few of them, does that sound like fun?

You also didn't address whether the graphic for the acorns is accurately allowing them to be seen rather than ending up in trees or under the ground.
    Zynt, Skuz and Tatanka like this.
  10. Axxius Augur

What is intended? That the acorns spawn under the terrain?? o_O I find that hard to believe.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think you're being very tone deaf about this.

It's not JUST that they're hard to see...they are.

There's also the issue of them spawning in/under world geometry, or in places that are damn hard to get to (trees).

I really hope you revisit your "not a bug" take on this issue.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I think the intention of moving this to The Veteran's Lounge instead of the Resolved Bugs forum was so people could discuss it and maybe something could be changed. The devs don't decide whether a bug or mechanic should be fixed, they just tell you whether it's a bug or not, and fix it if they are told to.

So while this thing that "is not a bug" certainly seems stupid, it could have been dropped in the circular file as opposed to being promoted for discussion. Should take that into account.

For the record, this probably needs some adjustments, so it's good to see people posting about the spawns in the air and under the ground.
    Fenthen, Brontus and Drakah like this.
  13. Leerah Augur

Razor blades are VERY distinguishable!

Coagagin likes this.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Once every 3 hours kinda hard to believe gotta bring my ranger and see how long it takes him. I dont think the forage loot table is very big in misty.

Andarriel
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Funny got one on second forage lol.

Andarriel
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Not a bug since the items are spawning - yeah okay, maybe, arguably they should not be spawning in inaccessible places - which they do frequently.

Feedback - items are very difficult to see, an acorn appearing as a tiny thin sliver of bright green makes about as much sense as fitting a Mastodon in your pocket.

Precedent - other items that were as difficult or less difficult to spot, have previously been changed after players pointed out how poor a player-experience it is to forage or locate them - the leaves for ink in Greater Faydark for one.

If items are intentional rare forages & intentionally this frustratingly difficult to spot & gather then don't use them in stat food items and then moan about being against players force-feeding, this kind of stupid rarity/stupid difficulty is right at the core of why players started force feeding to begin with.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

How is it "intended" if the zone was revamped and now things that used to spawn on top of the geometry now spawn under geometry?

Curious minds and all.
    Fenthen, Moege, Stymie and 5 others like this.
  18. Ratalthor Developer

Can anyone provide specific examples of the acorns spawning below the geometry?
    Stymie and minimind like this.
  19. FawnTemplar Augur

[IMG]
    Tallie, Thesehips, Moege and 2 others like this.
  20. Sissruukk Rogue One

I want to point to realism. Have you ever been around an oak tree? Tons of acorns around an oak tree. You don't even have to have a foraging skill in real life to find acorns around an oak tree. You can't even mow around an oak tree without flinging acorns around. And Misty Thicket should have more than one oak tree in it, considering oaks come from acorns. And even if Misty Thicket only had one oak tree, there should still be more than what is randomly placed around the zone.