Autofollow

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Calzonae, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Calzonae Journeyman

Autofollow fails:

Based on what server cluster your character account is on
    Compounded by incorrect reporting of Z-axis tracking.
    Compounded by server lag.
    Compounded by background "hotfixes" (especially noticable leading up to expac launch)

All of these factors also disable hands-on following of a character and has been a persistent problem since day 1.... notice characters idiotically running circles upon zoning or climbing a hillside. Upon original launch and exploring new content zones you CANNOT turn left or right when climbing OR descending, you risk losing the other players behind you.

Such a basic thing... I play with disabled individuals and they have a hard enough time without this garbage. Even if it is a spaghetti code problem.... implement something else... like give everyone coth so it is not a necessity that I play mage when someone is unable to navigate themselves.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It would be nice it if was fixed for those who do have issues with it. Not everyone does have issues with it for some reason. Just like not everyone has terrible lag.

It would also be nice if they could increase the type size - other than chatfont0-9 - for the elderly who play and others that have visual problems.

At least one does not have to use auto follow. You can run each character behind or alongside the main one. If there are people behind the keyboard working each character its not hard.

Too bad the visual detriment cannot be fixed as easily since any changes to the resolution or even using a custom UI seldom fixes that problem and we have to be able to see the words on the screen.

We will see what the new guys do.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Some models follow better than others, I've noticed when I'm in Djinn illusion they follow better than char models and I rarely lose them.

Eurdite also follows half elf pretty well when I'm being lazy and the other halfs ranger is tracking. :D
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

It's a 22 year old game. Auto follow has pretty much been the same the entire time.

There are so many more things wrong about this game for folks with disabilities than auto follow. Given that you asked specifically in another thread about solo/molo stuff ... I think you may not been completely honest in your setup.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  5. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Autofire used to not be a thing. A third party app was developed that created "autofire" capability. The EverQuest team got in contact with the creator and now, that autofire program has been directly integrated into EQ.

It would be nice if they could manage autofollow in a similar fashion. As you said, it's a 22 year old game and autofollow has pretty much been the same the entire time. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be changed to work better. It is the one feature that has pushed me the most to possibly install that program which should not be named.. because it's such an important feature of the game and so horribly broke in its current state.
  6. Calzonae Journeyman

I am a boxer on a TLP, but often play with disabled and elderly. I try to stick them on autofollow as it is the best tool to get them to the group site to complete task or quest or whatever. As a boxer there are tools that will circumvent autofollow, but I will not ask them to load the same 3rd party tools and figure out how to use them.

This is a problem that has been within everquest since day 1 and just because a more agile mind can handle it doesn't mean that it shouldnt be fixed. To the contrary, the population of EQ is aging right along with the client.... just fix the accessibility.