Dev reply please - Stonks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Fell Augur

From Merriam-Webster: Rust (v) : synonyms: corrode, oxidize, tarnish, decay, rot.

I believe your confusion comes from failing to appreciate the degree of ambiguity in common English, rust being no different from many other terms. If one uses the definition that rust relates only to iron, then your original statement that "Gold and silver don't rust" is not only tautological, but banal.

In general usage, a metal "rusts" when it oxidizes. Both gold and silver form oxides, and silver does so very quickly.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Can we get back on topic please? Lev should not be exploitable in plane of fire.
  3. Strawberry Augur

Corrosion is not a synonym of rust, neither is oxidize. Because both rust and tarnishing of metals is corrosion. Corrosion refers to any chemical weathering reaction a metal undergoes.

Well, it's not banal. Only iron rusts, every metalworker knows this. When I worked with lathe in school, you can see the iron rust in front of your eyes, it rusts by simply holding it in your hands due to the sweat on your fingers. No other metal does this, other metals tarnish, but they do not rust, only iron does this.

No, only iron rusts, gold and silver do not. Silver tarnishes, which is something very different from rust. Tarnishing can protect the metal, and can be reversed, while rust is detrimental and can not be reversed.
  4. Tucoh Augur

I'm with you, Strawberry, dictionaries should be banned from changing definitions of words just to adapt to common vernacular. It is the PEOPLE who are wrong, not we, who took a shop class one time and were told by our teacher that rust on anything but ferrous material is ILLEGAL.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rust
    Just look at this aluminum.
    [IMG]

Disgusting. Cats living with dogs, lions with sheep, pure CHAOS.
    Genoane and Fell like this.
  5. Strawberry Augur

right,

Anyway, here is an example. Both of these are corrosion of metals, both through oxidation, but they sure as hell aren't the same thing.

Rust on the left will go all the way through the metal, and will destroy it within a few years. That green patina on the right is from the copper that tarnished, that roof will still be standing 1,000 years from now.

Both corrosion, both oxidation, but completely different things. So no, corrosion is not a synonym of rust.

If you're going to start calling these words "synonyms", you're going to end up very confused when you ever work with metals.

[IMG]
  6. Captain Video Augur

For those who didn't study college chemistry: Rust = Iron oxide hydrate, aka ferric oxide, aka Fe2O3.H2O. Iron is the only metal which spontaneously oxidizes and hydrates in the presence of both oxygen, in some form, and water. While other metals can oxidize, they do not hydrate naturally; in some cases a man-made hydrated metal can occur via a metallurgical process.
  7. Strawberry Augur

Yeah well, 4 years with lathe and CNC and 2 years of metallurgy for me.

Even people who have never worked with metal know that only iron rusts, and not gold and silver. It's not a big hidden secret, it's common knowledge.

And it's sort of interesting to know this right, in a world where recycling matters. The special properties of gold and silver is why Umicore can recycle a lot of tech that would otherwise end up on a landfill if they didn't contain gold and silver. It would make no economic sense to recycle them without it.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Pretty sure that's what I said. I could have posted a dictionary reference but I didn't think the forum lawyers would mind my layman's description. Don't bother responding, you're on ignore.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Sounds nuts to me but I guess we'll know in a few years. Don't forget your tinfoil hat if you go out.

Edit: I came back to say I completely understand your perspective. I don't think it's 100% spot on, but I can see how you would come to the conclusion you did. There is certainly room for conspiracy theory here. Elon Musk isn't helping and his tweets could be used to support your position. First it's, "You can now buy Teslas with bitcoin." and then it's, "Bitcoin is bad for the environment."
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

That's a steel drum, son. ;)
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

This rust thing is way more interesting than cryptocurrency.
    Stymie likes this.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Accipiter likes this.
  13. Tucoh Augur

Accendo IRL

[IMG]
    Stymie likes this.
  14. Fell Augur

So every dictionary in the world is wrong, and your high school shop teacher is right? Got it, thx.
  15. Fell Augur

You might want a refund for that course. First of all, iron can and does oxidize into compounds besides iron(II) oxide (Fe2O3); that's simply the most common oxide. Furthermore, Fe2O3 is quite different to hydrated iron oxide -- Fe2O3.H20. I've seen a fair amount of rust in my life, and it's rarely in the hydrated form.
  16. Fell Augur

No, what you said was that Bitcoin couldn't possibly be a Ponzi scheme, because there's no evil genius at the center pulling the puppet strings. That chain of mislogic entails a false definition of the term.
  17. Strawberry Augur

Well, if every dictionary in the world said that gold and silver rust like you claim, and that corrosion, oxidation and rust are all synonyms...then yes...every dictionary in the world would be wrong. I have no idea why you use a dictionary for these type of questions to begin with.

If you truly believe that gold and silver rust, and that corrosion is the same thing as rust, more power to you. You're allowed to believe whatever you want, just like flat earthers. You're special, good for you.

(If you do one day get over yourself and admit corrosion is not the same thing as rust, here is a little helpful chart showing the difference.)

[IMG]
  18. Captain Video Augur

I never said that. Metals can oxidize in many forms and via a variety of reactions, some involving heat, some involving pressure, some involving catalyst, etc. Rust, that which corrodes iron to the point of its destruction, is ALL in the hydrated form; the presence of water is required for that reaction to occur.
  19. Fell Augur

Well, you've certainly proven my point for me: that the term has multiple meanings ... and I'll be nice and not even mention your conflating the noun and verb forms of the word. Let's get right to the heart of the matter, shall we? Let me remind you of your words that began all this:

"Most people don't realize how special gold and silver really are ... they do not rust!"

Now, we've already proven that the verb "to rust" has several meanings. If you were speaking of the definition relating specifically to iron, then your statement is absurd, because gold and silver are not "special" in this case -- all other metals and alloys don't "rust". Copper. Tin. Lead. Aluminum, zinc, brass bronze, etc, etc ad infinitum. If you intended this definition for the verb, then hang your head even further in shame.

Now, had you meant the alternative of "to rust" being a catch-all term for oxidization of metals (as Merriam Webster and the Oxford English dictionary both define it) then you were nearly correct. Earlier, I had given you the benefit of the doubt. Now, it seems I shouldn't have.
  20. Fell Augur

Whoa, there. You've confused a couple of things here. The presence of water is indeed required for iron to oxidize (though only at conditions of STP: at higher temperatures and pressures, iron will rust nicely without it). However water in general is acting only as a catalyst; the hydrated form (sometimes called ferric oxyhydroxide) doesn't automatically form, and when it does, has quite different properties from the rust you're used to seeing. There's even an anhydrous form, believe it or not.