Do you play first person ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Thundersnake Elder

I have personally done every role over the years on raids at different phases of my gaming life. So read this with that in mind, I understand the basic game mechanics when it comes to moving and casting. This being said I think most people who do these "fancy maneuvers" tend to be doing them while playing melee classes where getting in place when moving from one target to the next and finding optimal placement for melee is a key factor. I think it should be noted as someone with severe ADHD I am constantly moving and fidgeting on classes it's possible to do so on. Moving while fighting on classes such as Bard or Monk does not negatively impact DPS from what I have seen as long as you don't get out of effective combat range.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

2-boxed WAR/CLR & BER/SHM on raids a lot over the years, and for sure healing is much more a case of don't budge when you used to be using things like Complete Heal Chains in the early expansions, but later on you certainly can be mobile a fair bit, you just have to avoid healer "drift", slippery surfaces on raids are the absolute pits for healer classes especially if the zone is "no levitation effects work here" flagged. Still used 3rd person :p
  3. Tucoh Augur

Related question:

What is worse: being a cleric in a CH chain and staring at the wall so you can maximize your framerate or being a MT in a corner and staring at a mob's crotch the entire time.
  4. Tour Augur

CH chain.

"What are we fighting? Is it the blue low polygon count dragon or the red one? I guess I'll just have to take your word for it. Can someone describe this epic level encounter to me? I'm gonna see if I can spackle this hole in the wall I've been staring at for the past 10 minutes that's been bothering me."
    Stymie, Tucoh and Metanis like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

They both suck
  6. Tucoh Augur

Of all the walls in the game, which walls do you think have the most cleric spackle?

My vote is Kael arena area, look, you can even see the clerics in their native habitat.

[IMG]
    Stymie, Metanis, Tour and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They are warming up for their trip to the old bazaar afterwards....:p
  8. Cloud the Third Augur

The good ole days back when the game had a simple UI that was great.

Now we have short term buff, buff, aura, 20 chat windows to avoid all the spam, 50 hotkey windows to deal with all the tons of item clickies, aa abilities, disciplines, macros, etc.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

They looked a lot better on 13" and 15" screens 22 years ago.
    Stymie and Nennius like this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

Normal people looking at that pic: "Wait, you just stand around and hit the mob's back for what, 2 minutes straight? AN HOUR?!?"

Us: *palms instantly sweaty looking at the hp bar*
  11. Cloud the Third Augur

He then enrages and the tank forgets to turn off attack, tank dies, mob turns around, rest of the melee raid is wiped out.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

It reminds me of real life.
  13. Conq Augur

Raiding cleric since 2000, almost exclusively 3rd person. All of the things you listed are real, but - for me - they're even easier to deal with in 3rd person. How else can I splash wherever the dps pile is behind me?
    Conq
    Metanis likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Me too, because first person is exactly like being one-eyed & wearing blinkers while your neck is rigidly strapped to your body in a brace, like after being involved in a car crash.

I think 1st person should give you a more realistic view, such as what your current headgear would actually allow you to see, then the tanks can feel like real tanks as they look out through their small-slit view, and they also hear their own ragged breathing echo in it.
    Metanis likes this.
  15. Metanis Bad Company

Or sorta like the original EQ client in 1999! :)
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Cloud the Third Augur

They could build a teamspeak or whatever type thing into it as well so not only will they only be able to see through the slits in the helmet but also it could modify their vocals and make it in game sound like it is coming from where their character is standing.

Think how fun that would be if you could only hear someone talking that was close to you or you had to yell to make it go further. Make you fell like you are in the medieval times for real.
  17. Zarkdon Augur

Almost always 3rd person. First person doesn't really feel immersive, there is no peripheral vision, no head movements etc.

And at least in 3rd person I can kinda see what's around me, rather like I could i could turn my head.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Love that 4:3 ratio.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

I really need to try to adjust to 3rd person. Old dog, new tricks. Bah.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Viper1 Augur

First person is worst person
    mouse look > keyboard turning
    keybinds > spell clicking

When it matters (ie raids, difficult group stuff), the above are vastly superior control methods. Many years of muscle memory not withstanding, if you can get proficient at these, you will be a better EQ player for it.
    Skuz likes this.