Do you play first person ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

There was a small part of me that thought, "maybe someday if I have the time and the right guild, I'll get into raiding." This thread has disabused me of that notion.

I used to scout and pull Plane of Hate as a Rogue, in 1st person. It was fun, and I didn't need to hit F9 for anything. Yes, I died once in a while, that was half the fun of being on the pull team, recovering the pull team. :D I was already on the fence about the complexity of modern raids, but having to play in 3rd person to manage that is a non-starter.

Not that I think anything needs to be changed about that, I'm fine not raiding. Just realizing something I had no idea of. I mean I knew about aura's and some of the other mechanics, but never really thought about people playing in 3rd person to deal with them.
    Wdor and Coagagin like this.
  2. Tour Augur

I wouldn’t let this thread dissuade you from at least trying. You do not need to play in third person to do well, even exceptionally well, on raids as evident by the fact that people do just that. You DO absolutely need situational awareness. How you do that is up to you. And if you find that you don’t have situational awareness to the degree that you’d like then it is certainly worth trying new approaches (such as different camera vantage) to see what works best for you. Give it a try, you don’t want to miss out on something you might enjoy because, of all things, some posts on the forum. Worst case, it doesn’t work for you, an aura “sneaks” up on you and you die. Big deal. Try a different camera, or not, whatever. Best case, you have a lot of fun and you make it part of how you experience and play the game.
    Tucoh likes this.
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Fair point, I was just really shocked to see how many people thought it was mandatory for raiding. It's not something that I expect to happen any time soon. I have one more kid that has to finish growing up, and a wife who needs more hobbies, before I could commit to a schedule conducive to raiding. Maybe on some future TLP though.
  4. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Niskin I've been raiding for 5 years, and it's VERY Rare that I use 3rd person..

I also haven't played with ANY game sounds on in.. 15+ years.
  5. Basak Augur

I play first person, I grew up in first person. I try to play 3rd I get frustrated and anxious building up in anxiety until I start to have breathing issues. Oddly, the opposite is true for EQ2 and WoW, I can't play EQ2 or WoW in first person else I suffer the same fate as I do if I play EQ in 3rd. I don't understand the reasoning behind this total opposite anxiety issue so I really can't explain much else.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Yes, I use first person view. :)

...except when Im using Bind Sight.
    Coagagin and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

First person here as well. At least most of the time.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think 1st person is less immersive, since I have to turn my whole body if I want to look to the side or behind me. That just feels awkward.
  9. kookoo Augur

funny sometime when someone is designated puller and use 1st view, how many times i have seen a puller pulling mobs to the camp , and waiting , waiting , just to see these mobs lost agro,{ because they have to stop , turn back to see the mobs } puller had no clue ( since playing 1st view ) how far or if mobs had bad pathing .

when i pull in 3rd view ( pressing F9 ,4 times and using right click on mouse to place the camera view very fast where i want it to be ) i can see all the time how close they are or if they are having bad pathing. i can run forward while having the camera view to see behind me if i want.

or in raid when we have aura's and some player using 1st view have no clue there is an aura right at their feet, and don't move or *** something hitting me but i can't see it !!! *** lol.

having the possibility to see all around us playing 3rd view, we can CC mobs that are coming in our way if we want, before they agro,

while boxing i can see my group all the time , and i can see if they are not auto-following, well ( run in circle * )
  10. Cicelee Augur

I have played first person view for over two decades. I have tried to play in third person on specific raids such as Mearatas, but simply could not. I am so incredibly used to first person view that I cannot do third person.

The only time I have used third person is in guild hall to look at illusions, hero forge ornaments, or how a weapon looks. That is all.
    Wdor, Angahran, Coagagin and 2 others like this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

3rd-person view most of the time as it grants a wider field of view & reduces taking damage frorm behind which with a considerable number of mobs who can backstab is just being sensible.

I do rely upon being able to use first person in certain situations though, in water, while levitated (especially in Plane of Fire which I do for sheer pleasure), in places with very restricted view like corridors, while trying to locate a very small object on the ground that is difficult to see or which is proving difficult to mouse-click while in 3rd person or which is partially obstructed by another targetable object.

I really could not imagine only playing in 1st person, that seems needlessly self restricted, and I don't spend time & effort collecting armour appearance items for everyone else's benefit, I want to be able to see my character wearing that look.
    Annastasya likes this.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

First person here, unless it's absolutely required for something. Never had issues on any raids with auras adds, etc.
  13. shiftie Augur

I’ve always played first person. I toggle camera angles a decent amount. But the majority of the time it’s first person 4tw.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and code-zero like this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

First person, I do occasionally scroll out to get a better view of what is around me, but not very often.
    Wdor and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  15. Atomos Augur

I'mma be honest with you. If I could not play Everquest in 1st person, I probably wouldn't play. 1st person is way more immersive to me and it is also one of the big defining features that separates EQ from other MMOs. I'm not saying I never zoom out to get a better view of things or to look around corners and such, but I'm in 1st person 99% of the time. I don't care if it gets me aggroed more often - that's a good thing IMO. It adds a unique bit of "difficulty" to the game that you can't get elsewhere because literally everything is 3rd person. Perception is something I'd love to see utilized more often in MMOs.
  16. Raccoo Augur

I use third person, with the mouse scrolling back, not with F9 *not sure if people use F9 for that*. After people tell me they use 1st person on raids, I notice they're usually more like to die to mechanics.
  17. zleski Augur

I use a mix, but most of the time I'm in third person. There are some epic sights in the game that really demand that first person point of view, like the spires in the Greater Faydark, and Kelethin appearing in the distance.
  18. kookoo Augur

with F9 ( for me i press it 4 times ) and if you keep right click down with mouse while moving mouse left or right or up or down you can get the view you want pretty fast. you can zoom in , zoom out as well,
  19. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

I feel attacked by that comment, sir!

seriously though, when i play a healer or caster I play first person cuz it doesn't really matter. on melee toons i'm usually 3rd person so i can see the next mob relative to where i'm at.
  20. Cadira Augur

Those die-hard 1st person users are far more likely to die to raid auras, getting hit by the cube on crusaders, etc. You would notice it was always the same people who died on Drusela's Vault in the purple aura, and when asked if they played in third person the answer was almost always a "hell no and never will".

There are those who always play in first who perform insanely well, but it's very likely they'd perform ~even better~ in third in some situations and never worse.
    Svann2 and Skuz like this.