3 box minimum raiding

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Neemo1983, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Neemo1983 Journeyman

Hello all I'm looking to add a 3rd box due to my limited and sporadic playtimes. I already have a 32 sk shaman duo and was debating adding a mage .

However I won't be raiding much and that means minimal gear for sk.
    So my question is, would people stick with sk shaman or go for a more caster heavy setup like enc/cleruc/mage due to poorly heard tank

Thanks
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

SHD/SHM is a very strong duo with great synergy whatever else you add.
  3. Nolrog Augur

One of the new servers? The gear is tradeable, so you will still be able to gear up anyone who does not raid.

Personally, I found that lacking a pure tank on Phinigel was the biggest detriment to completing some of the later content (especially the group missions). So this time around, it's SK/SHM for me as well.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Neemo1983 Journeyman

Yeah its mischief but I'm new and have no krono or desire to buy any. And with value if drops being low I wonder if il be able to afford gear
  5. Gnothappening Augur

Couple (edit: okay more than a couple but originally I was only going to list two ways) of ways to go depending on how well you box. You could go enchanter, which gives you great buffs, CC, and DPS via a charmed pet. The hard part there is I would suggest driving the enchanter so that you can CC and handle charm better. You do have mana regen via potions though and the shaman has some haste spells, so unless you can charm, probably not worth it.

Another option is a bard, which doesn't add a lot of dps, but adds a ton of buffs and is super easy to let be a background character with /melody. If I were just wanting to farm and do solo dungeon camps, etc., I probably wouldn't take the bard. I always use one, but I play a full six and my group has plenty of DPS. For me it is nice having a character that I don't have to do anything other than make sure /melody is running. Plus, all of my group has mana so the bard mana song stacking with everything is a huge benefit for eliminating downtime.

A third option is something like a mage, necro, wizard, or monk. I would personally avoid the monk due to how much I hate positioning melee. Some people put their melee on follow and then just pull past it for ease of attacks, but I wouldn't think that went well with camps. Wizard gives you great burst DPS for named and ports around the world. The tradeoff is sustained DPS is poor. Necro gives you great DPS, limited CC, and a decent pet. A mage gives you a great pet which can off tank if needed, great single target DPS, and my personal favorite, Call of the Hero. For me, that is the best reason for the class when boxing. If you can invis to a camp and set up in a safe spot, you only have to run one toon there.

I would suggest mage or necro for your third, unless you want to wait for Luclin and run a ranger for the sweet bow DPS, but I don't think that their ranged damage is viable long term and if you are going to have to melee, might as well get a monk.
    Appren likes this.
  6. Nolrog Augur

You may not have the top end BIS gear for every toon, but you should still do OK. Don't know about raiding yet but the rare named seem to drop a lot more than I would expect. If raids are like that as well then there will be tons of gear selling cheap.
  7. Karanthal Augur

Classic -> GoD you would be best off with a chanter for charm DPS and CC.

Swap for Berserker or Bard fairly soon after GoD, charm becomes far less useful and melee DPS takes over from there on in. Monk would work too but I'm thinking plate or chain for hand me down loot. Zerker can use SKs old 2h raid weapons if you choose to raid.

Casters are much harder to box than melee, long fights you have to manage their mana and aggro and keep them casting. Melee you turn on atk and hit the occasional disc. For most fights positioning is far less difficult than managing casters.
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

The big thing is do you want to rely on charm? Because if you go that route then you will be the most powerful, but you'll also then start to tweak your other toons because assisting a charm pet/enc is now the way you play. It's a bit of a can of worms.

Having said that sk shm is strong and because I don't feel like charming I would probably add a bard since it has great synergy with SHM which only makes the already-chosen duo much stronger.

Mage is a good addition, but it's almost pure dps and quite little synergy. It is an exceptionally easy box class which is worth something when getting to the third box level.
  9. Kylo Classic Augur

Collect and sell stuff. Low lvl tradeskill components sell quite well. spider silk and high quality bear pelts
  10. Chaosflux Augur

Sk/Shm/Mag stays strong from day 1 to live, with peaks and valleys in relative strength compared to content, but its never not able to do all group content without outside help.

Decent amount of synergy especially late era stuff once sham gets Pact and mage has Servant pets. COTH splitting with snare a F load faster then FD and wait, pet and servants (once those are a thing) more than enough to OT, mage dps is at the very worst passable in most expansions, with them being top tier in the later game.

Id say for pure consistency one of the best "i just want to get stuff done" combos from day 1 to live. IMO
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  11. Neemo1983 Journeyman

Think il lvl the enc cleric and mage anyway just up to 30 to catch sk and shaman. Thanks for all the replies
  12. Gremin Augur

Long term bard...
  13. Bullsnooze Augur

I'd only recommend a tank in a box situation if you're able to raid gear the tank. Otherwise, they're just too flimsy, especially in later expansions.

**, denotes what I'd likely play.

If you can raid gear the tank,
    1. Shadow Knight, Shaman, and Bard**
    2. Shadow Knight, Shaman, and Magician
    If you can't raid gear the tank,
    1. Magician (Pet Tank), Shaman, and Bard. (Main the Bard)**
    2. Magician, Shaman, and Necro (Main the Mage)
    3. Magician, Shaman, and Enchanter (Main the Mage or Chanter)
    oldkracow likes this.
  14. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

On this server you'll be able to gear up a SK without issue for cheap
    I'd vote what bullsnooze said.

Sk, Shm, Bard or Mage
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  15. ZzznakeDoctur Journeyman

Chanter also provides CLARITY which will be HUGE as a Knight Tank. Knights can have mana problems because they don't get to sit and med like true casters and crack really helps in that regard. Without mana Regen your SK will basically be perma-oom just from casting aggro spells
  16. Chaosflux Augur

What later expansions are you talking about? Because you can tank pretty much anything including raids MTing/OTing with group gear in most of the later eras as a tank. Especially as an SK.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Yep, I went Classic to Live on Phinny (SK tank) with nothing but group gear. I didn't raid, but I had the best group gear most expansions.
  18. Chaosflux Augur

Yeh on Miragul there were expansions I had group gear in a ton of slots and just took a dump on every mission/challenger/acheesemint so far (ROS), and didn't have a problem tanking on raids like that either including bosses/minis whatever.

There was an expansion (TBM) where due to changes the devs made to the mission scaling it was alot rougher than it should have been, but whatever, it was rough on everybody.

Majority of the expacs i did with Pal/shm/mag team, there's no content you can't do with a team like that (swapping Pal for SK in OPs case) and the later expacs SK are so strong they can tank massive piles of current content mobs in group gear. Not sure what expansions dude thought non raid geared tanks were flimsy in lol
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

Underfoot maybe? Things hit pretty hard even in raid gear.
  20. Chaosflux Augur

Underfoot if you are talking group content only, is easily done by Sk/Shm/Mag in group gear, I ran through that stuff with that exact team when the expac was current. Its significantly easier now with all the changes that were made to players power and nerfing to the content itself.

Raids are pretty easy mode too compared to how they were at release. Though knight tanking, that's the last "rough" expansion for. Its pretty much all downhill after that because knights get significantly stronger and stronger with each successive expansion post underfoot.