Should some anniversary items be made permanent?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Traxen, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Traxen Lorekeeper

It kinda sucks when you realize you missed an anniversary item and will have to wait 10 months to get it. So hive mind, do you think some items should be available year round?

* Drunken stein: yes
    * Black pearls: yes
    * Ancient ring: yes
    * Tiny horn: yes
    * Feather: No
    * Copper augs: No
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Marton Augur

Yes to all from me.

This is 20+y old game. No reason to restrict access to anything. People have other things to do then camp a bunch of items when Anniv comes around every year.
  3. Alchem The Judge Journeyman

I don't think they should. After 22 years of this it's the little things like this that can help keep my interest. You missed it, make preps to be there next time. It's as exciting and frustrating as missing a special event IRL.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Drunken stein is nice every char should have one!

Andarriel
  5. Quik Augur

No thanks. Being available only once a year is what makes them special
    Fenthen, Kase and Skuz like this.
  6. Szilent Augur

EverQuest ain't like other games. There is a 22 year legacy, and every reason to believe it'll march on to 30 & more. Items available "only" annually are not unavailable to new or irregular players in the same way as in games that come and go like so many mayflies. Anyone who wants to pursue the commemorative content & the prizes that come with it can reliably anticipate doing so next year, or the year after. :) If one is dedicated to one's character, EQ will be there.

…in the case of Anniversary stuff. not so much in the case of preorder things :p or the beta testing rewards :p
    cadres and Skuz like this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No.

Learn to use the /calendar feature & plan, alongside that the anniversary events are hardly a secret & take place at the same time every year...
    Fenthen, Velisaris_MS and Kase like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It's nice that the older anniversary content is still wanted by someone every year. It needs to stay special and not become available every day.
    Fenthen, Shanarias and Skuz like this.
  9. Windance Augur

Mixed feelings. Most of the perks listed are 'nice to haves'. With the changes to this years mission and the 1hr lock out ... that one would be nice to have full time.

Even the drunken stein can be replaced with other clickies or even gate pots.
  10. Cloud the Third Augur

They could care less about players or keeping this game alive so something like drunken stein won't matter.
  11. Warpeace Augur

What a shame more things are not tradable on other servers:p.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
    [IMG]
    adetia, Stymie and Tatanka like this.
  13. Kase Augur

No
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Did you just make the statement that EQ isn’t like other games, then immediately after state EQ is just like every other game? If, EQ were truly different than the anniversary content would be permanent.

I’m in favor of adding the quests permanently and leaving the bonus as the celebration. GMM was an absolutely terrific addition to the game, and I would’ve hated to see that zone only be used ~1 month per year.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

GMM is a different animal, as with Plane of War, it would have been a waste to only have it for a month when there is so much to be done there, a bit like the Hardcore Herage and Legacy zones, they should be treated the same way, but have the old and new running side by side not one or the others.

Most players only do these quests once or until they get the item then don't go back, unless they want currency. IF they go in perminantly that currency should be removed (rather than putting prices up). Having these quests in perminantly also lowers the number of quests that players do, bearing in mind we usually only get 1 or 2 quests and a mission these days for the anniversary, that doesn't sound very special at all.

There are a few things I wish I had time to do, portal clicky, collect box, fishing rod, etc but I just didn't have the time this year, maybe next year.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

No they shouldn't. Having these items around for a limited time make them more special. They are around for a fair amount of time so it's not like, oh, I was sick that week and couldn't do them. They are open for like 2 months. If you missed them, that's a you issue. Plan better next time.
    nitrocutter and Skuz like this.
  17. Nolrog Augur

This is perhaps the dumbest take on this whole thing. Yeah, they don't care about players or keeping the game alive, you know the things that fund the company and keep them in business. Bless your heart.
  18. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

If you're a resource starved development studio, would you continue to develop temporary content?

So, the philosophy behind adding special event content is add some energy to your player base generating extra activity and social interactions. As you say most people only run the quests and missions once, therefore they're not providing their intended function.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It is content that is run for a limited time, but returns for 1 or 2 months a year. It isn't like the pre expansion content that we got for a few weeks and then never saw again.

I said they either run them to get the item or they run them for coins, adding them perminantly will lead to 1 of 2 things, the prices go up and the coins are avaible all year or the coins get removed from the quests either way it makes them harder to obtain. When they come around in March there is usually a lot of players doing quests and missions for new alts or returning players, if they were in the game all the time it would be harder to find groups to get these missions done. Missions for the tent and the pearl still need a group to complete, I did both this time around 10 times each for friends and a an alt or 2.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Some of it, probably.

I cant be the only one who times new alts around the availability of some of the anniversary items, and I enjoy some of the anniversary missions as something to do for xp thats different than the 3 things everyone always wants to do for xp.

Having the missions available regularly wouldnt really ruin much. Oh no, people might actually get a stat mount slowly over the course of a couple years, or have clicky items they forget to use (or that were replaced by other clicky items from the same limited time content) the horror.
    Skrab likes this.