REQUEST: Update Free to Play Info

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Froglok, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Froglok Augur

From the day F2P was introduced, it has continually been modified.

So much so that no one knows for sure what you have access to or not (sans Marketplace purchases).

Example, number of bag slots, maximum Character Level, Character Slots, Spell Ranks, in-game Mail, Loyalty Token Awards, Merc access, Housing access, Create a Guild or not, Bazaar access, Chat access, Customer Service, Expansion access, AA limitations... and so on.

Could someone at DP please post a full update Check List of F2P vs Gold (is there still a such thing as Silver? And if so, how is it diff from Gold or F2P?).

There does not seem to be any clear / current info on the DP / EQ web site.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They do not need to waste time on this.

It is not hard at all to find accurate info on this. Because of all the changes over the years I doubt any dev that was working then is working now and whoever works on it would be lost trying to figure it out.

I have no issue with knowing what accounts gets what and which has what limitations as I have accounts that cover the spectrum so can see from personal experience. Although it does go off track sometimes it is usually to the players benefit ie more loyalty tokens etc.

This chart at the bottom here is pretty accurate and is kept up to date:
    https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Free_to_play

There will always be caveats like F2P can have 2 character slots but they can buy more with Loyalty tokens.

A lot of the misunderstanding is also related to players not looking up the info. How many of them know you do not get full loyalty tokens for your account status until it is a year old?

Let Silver sleeping dogs lay.
    Stymie and Yinla like this.
  3. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Agree with the OP, it’s in their best interests to state to interested players the features of FTP versus paid membership.

Disagree, with Catpaws the website doesn’t fall under the responsibility of the game development team and wouldn’t be a conflict of interest. It’s likely that website maintenance is supplied by a Daybreak and handles the various studios.
    Froglok and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sorry they are too busy making maps to get to this just yet:D

I didn't say anything about a conflict of interest? Confused on that one.

I have said this before and will again. There is not a comprehensive book to this game made by the devs. This is why over the years players have worked long and hard and spent many hours making and updating websites to help players.

If everyone is soooo concerned about new players and F2P staying in the game then give them the biggest resource they could have .....General Chat.

Just for the record I am against F2P having General Chat.
    Yinla, Elyssanda and Nennius like this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

More information about options to play EQ seems like a pretty good thing to me. Is it the biggest need? Maybe not.
    Froglok, Gyurika Godofwar and Skrab like this.
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You used the standard dismissive line, “they don’t need to spend resources on this.” Also, you keep repeating that a developer would have to work on adding/updating a FTP versus Gold comparison chart. A community manager would be able to work with the website development to clearly illustrate the features to returning and new players.

It’s a natural flow to check out the Everquest website and check the features provided. Fanra’s website is nice, but not in the natural flow of user engagement through the website.
    Froglok and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I would disagree and state that informing any interested player regarding your game features is a top priority.
    Froglok likes this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

And this is why I asked our current community manager what he does. His response: Most days, I'm jam-packed with meetings, research, article drafting, relaying community concerns/questions to developers for feedback, answering questions when I can on Discord and on here

I see no time anywhere for any updates to be made by community managers.

My whole point in repeating is to try and help those who cannot comprehend that we already have maps and f2p charts and tons of other resources we can use with out duplicating all the info just to have the DPG stamp on it.

And there is no "natural flow" for help on the EQ site. The most common answer you will get from there if you are stuck in a quest or something similar is to ask your fellow adventures in game for help or to redo the quest that you missed something. They dump you in the tutorial with some basic game info and from there you need to learn the rest however.

Guess we agree to disagree. Maybe in another 20 years we will see an entire DPG website with all this info. Meanwhile I am going back in the game to enjoy it and to look up that quest I am working on in Bonzz'a site this time. Almars was a little lacking this time.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

If I was someone who had never played EQ, visited the website, and saw a FTP option as well as a subscription option...the VERY first piece of information I would want to know is exactly what the differences are on the two type of accounts.

They do this when new expansions drop with a chart showing you EXACTLY what is and isn't included in the different verisons. I see no reason why they shouldn't take that sort of care with the account types and put it right on the front page, so there's absolutely no confusion about anything. It's a small investment of time for a huge return.
  10. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Updating membership information and features is not equivalent to maintaining an active quest database. It’s a baseline feature of any subscription/product with multiple tiers. It’s a very basic thing.

You speak as if you’re an authority on their day to day schedule and priorities. If, you’re not a staff member then you should refrain from
    the types of comments referring to work schedules. I find it unproductive on game forums centered around feedback and discussion.

So, answer this question would a membership tier chart add value to a new or returning player?
    Stymie, Froglok and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  11. Darkerknight Lorekeeper

A membership chart that shows F2P, Silver, and Gold would be HIGHLY useful and beneficial IMO. Really shouldn't take much time to put together either.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It was a direct quote from a staff member on his work schedule. You too can find it in these forums.

Lets keep it light and not go to personal attacks - that also should not be part of the discussion. Its ok to disagree with each other, we all have opinions.

They have always stated what is in your subscription on the front page for paying members.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

They have three groups they need to consider:
    • Live players
    • TLP players
    • F2P players
    Guess who's last in line?
    Stymie and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  14. Whulfgar Augur

What are you talking about ?

There is an entire server (test) that is 100% completely free..
  15. Whulfgar Augur

Anything that takes away from them pushing out new content, I am against. Even to the detriment of f2p..
    Bigstomp likes this.
  16. Froglok Augur

LOL. Just wow.

Data out there is 100% not up to date. Players who might want to Play EQ F2P style to try it out would be better served knowing what they are getting.

After all, if they Play F2P style and are told "X" or look up "X" -- and then it doesn't work or they can't do it due F2P limitations... it can be both frustrating and disappointing. If they knew this up front, that would not be the case.

Additionally, after they try EQ F2P style, and know what extra they can get by upgrading... well, the better for all of us as EQ would gain a bit more revenue to help keep the game going.
  17. Froglok Augur

There is a difference between Test and F2P on Live servers.
    Shanarias likes this.
  18. Captain Video Augur

This is one of my pet peeves. For years the launcher and client have been available for download on Steam, and so there is a Steam store page describing the game. It hasn't been updated in three (3) years. Steam will tell you the game is 19 years old, has 25 expansions and the level cap is 110. How hard is it to keep this one simple web page up-to-date, when they only have to do it once a year??

The Steam page has never in its history made any mention of the existence of a subscription option or the existence of subscription-based progression servers. Now you can actually use your Steam wallet to pay your sub, if you like, but good luck finding where DPG tells you that. The number of times the community manager has posted in the Steam Q&A forum? In the life of the game? Zero. IMHO, this is really really poor CS. The same level of apathy prevents the company from keeping a reasonably up-to-date F2P page on its own website. And for the record, I am an annual subscriber.
  19. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You didn't answer my question.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Fanra has an excellent guide to F2P, no it is not an official DarkPaw one but it should answer most questions.

I do think DarkPaw should have an up to date Free to Play "Landing Page" that has the latest information seeing as it has never had an official page to give out all that information beyond the initial announcement news article/FAQ from March 2, 2012 and whatever information can be understood from within the game itself.
    EverQuest Free to Play is very poorly supported in terms of having all the relevant info in one place, but it doesn't exactly do a stellar job of doing that for the paid game either in my opinion.
    Stymie likes this.