DBG: Easy fix to stop boxing violations

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fell, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiri_ Augur

So what you're asking for is actually the removal of every QoL feature including in EQ since April 1999. That's fine - stupid, but fine - but be honest about it.

Not all boxers are the same. There are people who play within the guidelines laid out for, and the spirit of, Truebox - one character per computer, each controlled with a different keyboard and mouse. Those people will maybe have some problems with /assist or /follow removed. But those people generally aren't causing major disruptions. Professional farmers and RMTers using automation software are the problem, and they're already automating everything so removing QoL features like the Target's Target window will not change anything. All of their targeting inputs and movement inputs can happen within the automation software, they don't need Everquest slash commands.

What you're saying is that you want to walk to the grocery store, and it's too inconvenient because there's lots of traffic going too fast, and your solution to this problem is to ban bicycles.
  2. Fell Augur

a) LImiting boxing on a small subset of servers is not "controlling" your play. Choose the server with the ruleset you wish.
    b) Not sure who "Daybrake" is.
    c) Please avoid racist insults in the thread, thx.
  3. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Like to point out that removing /assist or /follow will not stop my tunnel bots. :rolleyes:
  4. Fell Augur

You'll building a false strawman just to knock it down. Please point out where I said anything even remotely approaching this.

And the definition of "rich" is anyone making more money than you, yeah yeah.

Come again? Please explain how automation software can target without some form of server-side support for indirect targeting. Theoretically, with precise pre-positioning, automation might be able to support mouse-click targeting of 3D elements ... but such an approach would be quite fragile, and thus impractical except in certain very limited situations.

You automaters out there feel free to chip in if I'm wrong. I honestly would like to know if I'm wrong. But I doubt I am.
  5. Fell Augur

No, what I'm saying is that a server with very hard limits on boxing would be very popular, and desired by a large portion of the customer base. DBG knows this, which is why they created such a server. Their approach to it failed, though, because the policing route is both ineffectual and and extraordinary resource-intensive. The demand, however, is still there.
  6. jiri_ Augur

it's funny that you went from this:

To this:

Seriously? You're gonna delete the part where there are rules about what kind of boxing is allowed so you can remove the distinction between people who follow the rules and those who don't? Get out of here.

Dude, the program in question has a macro to complete the VoA ground spawn quests automatically, with no input from the player. There are group-level macros to fully automate running several of the CotF HA missions. Reading a log file to see which NPC is getting hit by the tank is not difficult, even if you remove the Target's Target feature, /assist and the extended target window.
  7. Triconix Augur

So you want to get rid of two basic slash commands that have been in a 22 game for the last 21.5 years?
    [IMG]
    code-zero and Appren like this.
  8. Appren Gnomercy

Aradune had the biggest Karen population I've ever seen in a TLP, the boxer hate of some of these people are just insane.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

LOL Karen is a race.

LOL

Oh the feigned indignace is strong in this one.

Oh and "Daybrake" is probably also laughing at your typo karma:

" LImiting"

I can not tell if that is a double L or a capital i.

Either way, if you are going to snark snipe for typonese, you should probably proofread.
    That Guy, code-zero and Ruhi like this.
  10. nagash101 Augur

how is this thread still open? silly thread should be closed and deleted!
    Bardy McFly, That Guy and jiri_ like this.
  11. Fell Augur

Sure. So? You know the name of the mob -- now how do you target it, without some form of indirect targeting? Direct targetting -- i.e. clicking on the actual 3D element(s) involved -- was the only method available in early EQ.
  12. Fell Augur

You're seriously conflating a miscapitalization typo with homophone confusion?
  13. Zapsos Augur

/target #name

Pretty sure that one has existed always.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Bleh, we don't need to extend this thread with a topic switch. ;)
  15. Slaytanic1 Journeyman

@Fell

Boxing with 6 separate computers is done pretty easily and is perfectly legit. Just because others are unable to do it, doesn't automatically mean it's being done illegally. You should see some of these guy's setups.
  16. jiri_ Augur

Again, the program in question can click on a ground spawn.

Also, no, direct clicking was not the only method available in early EQ. F8 targeted the nearest NPC, numpad-minus + S enabled auto-assist, and /assist was always available (it's listed in the Console and Chat Commands appendix in the manual). I'm looking at the Official Player's Guide, published by Dimension Publishing and 989 Studios. In that manual, PVP servers are referred to as a future project:

That PK server was Rallos Zek, which launched on March 16, 1999 when the game went live. /assist predates the live version of the game. Can we please stop with this about having to click on stuff?
    Niskin likes this.
  17. Fell Augur

And yet the boxer keep claiming I'm the only soul in the universe who dislike boxing.

/boggle.
  18. Fell Augur

I have my own original Player's Guide right here; I'll be happy to post a photo of that appendix. While you're right about F8, there is no /assist nor /follow command listed. The appendix lists the "S" "auto-assist" function, which was back then a bit different functionally.

But again-- you're attempting to drag the conversation down into the weeds. Answer the question. What is it about a boxing-limited server that frightens you so badly? You'd still have your own servers to play on.
  19. Machen New Member

Truebox servers are already boxing-limited. What you want is a no box server, which won't ever happen.
  20. jiri_ Augur

[IMG]

Every server that's launched since Phinegel has been a boxing-limited server, except Rizlona.

What he wants appears to be a server that's locked into a hypothetical pre-alpha version where keyboards are disabled.
    Appren and Ruhi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.