DBG: Easy fix to stop boxing violations

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fell, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code-zero Augur

People like fallen there are the reason I box. I recall my last pickup group long ago when Luclin was new. We had an opinionated sort in the group telling everyone what to do while taking ninja /afk and ninja looting. I was pulling so I told the group leader to bind the loudmouth, kick him from the group and evac on my word. He did and it worked perfectly as I brought a huge train back to our somewhat out of the way camp. Since the fellow had just taken yet another ninja /afk he was caught in a death bind loop. Once we all got the wailing complaints we put him on ignore.

A truly glorious outcome
  2. Boogatti Lorekeeper

TRAINING?!
  3. Gnothappening Augur

Size of the population is probably the least important thing I said as relating to what I was replying to. The 3x the population was more in reference to the health of the game overall.
  4. code-zero Augur

Yep, it is the only time in my playing history when I ever trained anyone and it was my own group and they all approved of it.

I do not feel at all bad and I'd do it again if I had someone that horrible in the group. I'm mellower so I might warn them first.
  5. Gnothappening Augur

Nah, not training. He picked up too many mobs on his pull. When he got back to camp they couldn't handle it and so they evac'd. Sadly one of the people had been kicked from the group for repeatedly going afk without telling anyone and ninja looting.
  6. Gnothappening Augur

Sir, training is pulling mobs onto other people. You pulled them onto your own group and had to evac :D
    Bardy McFly and code-zero like this.
  7. jiri_ Augur

Not with the currently level of customer service resources, and that's the bottleneck.

What percentage of the TLP population is offline traders? Most of those are separate accounts, and that wasn't a function that existed before 2012.
  8. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The highest population is probably in the first few expansions, if not right after launch. The trader system doesn't come in until Luclin, so the answer is probably zero.
  9. jiri_ Augur

Right, that's fair. I was thinking of gnothappening's post, where he seemed to be talking about a more mature TLP rather than a newly released server. For sure, the initial release of the server is the best time to play a character without boxing anything. By the time you get into the PoP->OoW 65 death grind, boxes are a lot more appealing.
  10. Fell Augur

I wish everyone could follow the simple, inescapable logic of that statement.

And that "current playerbase" is a tiny fraction of what EQ once was ... and getting smaller all the time. DBG can either let EQ continue dying its slow death, or they can take steps to not only keep players, but possibly attract a few new ones now and then.
  11. Fell Augur

Please try to keep the racist insults out of the thread, thanks.

This statement is so ludicrous that you cannot possibly believe it true. You do realize you're playing an MMO, right?
  12. Machen New Member

No, it's actually been getting bigger for the last few years.
    Bardy McFly and Niskin like this.
  13. Machen New Member

A huge portion of the TLP player base plays post Luclin. Currently Aradune and Rizlona are both constantly high pop, Mangler still hits high pop some and has been past Luclin for years. Just because the highest population is in the first few expansions doesn't mean that's all the population.

We have at least a portion of each year where there is no pre-luclin tlp, too.
  14. Fell Augur

Actually, I'm wanting it to be a little more like it used to be, before so many training wheels were added that it became possible to play multiple toons simultaneously. You hardcore boxers all say playing a single toon is boring. Shouldn't that problem be addressed directly?
  15. Bardy McFly Augur

The game is far more interactive in later expansions. They have worked on that. You wouldn't see those changes on a TLP for years, nor should they be porting those abilities back to earlier expansions before they were meant to be. If you want those kind of changes, go play on Live.
  16. Machen New Member

You could play multiple toons simultaneously in 1999. No training wheels were added to make it possible.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  17. jack of all trades Elder

This is what you're not understanding. THE GAME WAS NEVER HARD. You can't erase all the walkthroughs for the quests, you can't unlearn how to best play a character. These "training wheels" you are talking about, are simply QOL changes. The only thing that made it easier to play multiple toons simultaneously was the hardware to do so. At 11 years old, I was able to play 3 characters, on 3 computers, during Luclin. It wasn't hard. Turn auto attack on for the warrior, point the cleric at the warrior, nuke on the wizard until you need to heal. Heal. Repeat til dead.

You're saying you want it more challenging, that it should require more effort. That is changing the fundamentals of the game, AKA CHANGING THE GAME. You are literally asking for a different game, one that's like Everquest but more complicated so that it's more challenging to box. As someone else mentioned above, go try EQ2.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

What training wheels exactly were added that "made it possibly to play multiple toons simultaneously?" Your original suggestion, removing /follow, that command has been in the game forever. Most of the changes have been quality of life stuff.

There are multiple reasons most didn't box in the early days. First, we didn't need to for the most part. The population was there, the game was new, nobody had preconceived notions of interacting with new people. MMO's were new, excitement was everywhere. If you got stuck LFG for hours there didn't seem to be an alternative. Most wouldn't pay for multiple accounts, and there was no F2P to facilitate the option to group with yourself outside of that.

Second, dial up internet. Most had this, and even if they had cable or DSL, routers didn't exist as a home appliance yet. You could get multiple IP's for your cable modem, up to 3 even! I did have 3, still didn't box. Wanna guess why?

It's ok, I'll tell you anyway. Hardware. Maybe you had a spare computer laying around in those days, but you probably didn't have a spare 3d accelerator card laying around, which you absolutely needed. At some point, within the first few years, I upgraded my 3DFX version 1 card, to version 2. By that time EQ would barely run on version 1, not enough texture memory. You should have seen how trees looked on that card, crazy stuff.

At some point I had a second machine setup with the old card, which was only so my friend could play with me when he came over. Yet another reason, we had real friends who played, so we didn't need to box. It sucked for him to play on that machine, but we didn't have much in the way of voice chat back then, so it beat trying to type everything.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. The game is different, and it could be changed back to some degree, but it isn't the only thing that changed. We changed too, technology changed. Attitudes about playing with others have changed. Our options have changed. Our lives and schedules have changed.

DPG has to find the balance, they can't be chasing away boxers or non-boxers. While boxing bothers you to an extreme level, and you aren't the only one who opposes it. Most don't care, or care at a very minimum level.

I honestly wouldn't care if they launched a special no boxing server, outside of the concern that it would be a failure and waste of resources. They would make promises they couldn't keep, you would just be upset anyway, and everybody loses. That's why I don't think they will do it, they learned the lesson with Aradune. It's better to give us something shiny to keep us occupied (Mischief/Thornblade) than to give us something that we'll constantly be fighting over (Aradune enforcement).
  19. Machen New Member

Or, just keep playing to the later expansions.

In my personal experience, I find it very difficult to manually box six characters starting around Underfoot. Up to then, no problem. After that, the game is too complex.
    Bardy McFly and code-zero like this.
  20. Fell Augur

Again, you've made a ridiculous statement. There wasn't even an /assist command in '99 -- if you wanted a mob on target, you clicked on it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.