A server without Auto-Grant AA... Interest?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by peminkanwan, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Laronk Augur

You generally shouldn't worry too much about the accomplishments of others in game. Autogrant is a good thing.
    Szilent likes this.
  2. peminkanwan New Member

Thank you
  3. Bigstomp Augur

A server without auto grant means long painful catching up for new/returning members.
    Why make the people already behind suffer more to catch up?
    AA's matter enough that they bothered to implement autogrant.
    And even with autogrant you are thousands behind others.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. peminkanwan New Member

Quite a few thoughtful (and insightful) replies in the thread... Thank you.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

I've never been autogranted an aa personally (on my main - some alts I rarely play have earned plenty).
    For a returning player it is huge to catch up to be useful.
    And still leaves them far enough behind there is no reason any reasonable person should complain.
    But at least they have the minimums to be useful in a group.
    Ozon likes this.
  6. Thash Zoner

I wouldn't mind the idea, if aaxp rates were much higher in the middle expansions. Buying aa intentionally gives you a much better grasp of what you have, and a better sense of accomplishment, than a big pile of yellow spam on login that you have to cross reference with your chart.

As it is, autogrant's probably the best easiest solution.

And as for mercs, they're fine, their role is mostly practice and catch-up. They can't go anywhere or do anything particularly useful. They only fill holes in the solo and group game, allowing people to actually play. Like it or not, mercs saved eq.
  7. Sobmre Augur

there are enuf dead servers as it is, but what might be cool is a title or name color or what ever for toons that don't use autogrant
  8. Sobmre Augur

9. Vaeeldar Augur

So it's not clear to me how long you've been away and the overall context. Meaning quite frankly a hero at even 105 with no aa is useless - a tank worse than useless. The aa grant may look like it makes you powerful but frankly it only does if you are in very old content. If you are in the level appropriate content you will still struggle as a tank without grinding out quite a few defensives.

The mechanic is simply there to give people a way to actually catch up without having to stop every 5 levels to grind out about 750-1000aa. You'd literally kill the game for the few returnees we do get with this mechanic.

Frankly it's too niche of an idea to ever happen. The only way I could see this happening is if they came up with a "hardcore" server. But those type of servers rarely pan out.

I'll just say I don't think you understand how little power it does give in level appropriate content. It just gives them a shot to grind out the 5k aa they need to be useful.
    Ozon and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

No interest.
  11. Cidran Augur

I wish they continued on the path they pursued first: making your first AA much easier to obtain, instead of just auto-granting them. To me, it just doesn't feel right in EQ to get stuff handed for free.

That being said, because of the thousands and thousands of AA we have nowadays, something had to be done. The only server without ever getting auto-grant must be Agnarr, if you don't mind being forever stuck in PoP era.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

It's the same thing. It may feel different to you but free AA is free AA no matter how you get them.
    chronicler likes this.
  13. Stymie Pendragon

I encourage the OP to spend a month working on AA's and let us know their impression of earning them normally vs autogrant. I have a feeling there will be a shift in opinion. EQ is far too bloated at this point to right the ship, so to speak. After a month, I think they will see how busted it really is.
    Raccoo and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

Whatever the technical reasons, when I group with someone I like knowing they are this aa'd as a minimum.
    Like a ride at a park, you must be this tall to ride. (Doesn't mean they don't suck but at least you can figure out it's based on skill not lack of aa's)
    Raccoo likes this.
  15. Cidran Augur

Might be semantics to you, but I clearly see a difference between minimum effort and zero effort.
  16. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Well I for one would enjoy a server with no auto grant, no defiant armor and no mercs. But I guess I'm just weird like that.
    Aenvar likes this.
  17. Slasher Augur

They should start season servers that unlock expansions 1 week after the previous one was beat and lets see how fast people can race to the end. Require all access and when its over let them transfer chars to the server they want.
    Chaosflux and Aenvar like this.
  18. Elskidor Augur

The AA mountain is too ridiculously high to go back, but I'd be up for trying a server like that. I returned when the game went ftp about 10 years back and before autogrant. I subbed and had a blast grinding AA that year. Every five levels I would stop and journey around Norrath to explore new places to grind out my next 500 AA and found it a ton of fun, but even then I think the average class only needed 7k AA or so. It was a steep hill but now you'd be looking at climbing Mount Everest.
    Aenvar likes this.
  19. Chaoslayer Journeyman

Hard pass for me. I have earned my AA’s over the years and that is fine because I was playing all that time. I just don’t see how you could expect a new player to have any interest. What do you tell a friend come play this game. You just have to grind for a few years solo or find someone to do some major hand holding to get you to a point you can group with the population with any usefulness.
  20. Chaosflux Augur

They did that it was called Combine