DBG: Easy fix to stop boxing violations

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fell, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardy McFly Augur

It's not that some people can't find groups. Some people literally don't want to group and would rather box because boxing is more enjoyable to them.

This thread screams (yet again) of people telling other people how to play and how to enjoy the game, to a point of trying to force it on them.

Want to box? Box. Want to group? Do what you need to do to find or make one. If DPG removes the ability to box, most of those boxers will just quit and you wouldn't have them to make a group with, anyway. Stop forcing your playstyle on others because you think the game must be played a certain way. The magic of EQ and why it has held up so long as other MMOs have come and gone is because of how flexible and open the game is to different playstyles.
    Accipiter and Skuz like this.
  2. Fell Augur

No, no difference whatsoever. The second "M" in MMO refers to players, not toons.

Absolutely. Or -- more precisely -- I object to game mechanics and tools that support that situation, certain macro command high among them.

I don't believe that follows, given many of those disagreeing are hard-core forum , and likely posting from each of their six accounts. Most of the more laid-back players never even visit these forums.

Hey, you read my mind entirely. DBG -- put that on your to-do list, please. It'll be an extremely popular server, I promise you.
  3. Fell Augur

If you don't want to interact with other players, play a single player game. Simple. Stop trying to turn EQ into one.

EDIT: I have absolutely no problem with you chaps having your own servers. That's the beauty of the server concept: DBG can serve both customer bases. I'm less clear why the thought of us having our own servers threatens you so much.
  4. Montag Augur

The cheaters would use external programs, as they already do, to follow much better than /follow and the legit people playing a box or two would have a huge hassle with nothing gained.

Bad idea man.
    Bardy McFly and Skuz like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So you are literally admitting that you want to dictate to others how they play, boy you are a piece of work.
    You would force people on half dead servers to wait around for 6 hours trying to make or find a group only to log off disappointed & having achieved nothing and to you this is preferable?
    Utterly myopic, without boxing this game would be far smaller than it is now & may well not have survived to this point.
    code-zero and Bardy McFly like this.
  6. That Guy Journeyman

Few thoughts -

1. Again, you don't get to define what is or is not. The M, in MMO, does not arbitrarily dictate that everyone must play a single account, on a single machine, and absolutely MUST group with others. Since your personal views on what is and is not are incorrect, that alone should show you that you are wrong. Not insist that the entire game community that is over 2 decades old as well as its owning company bend to your single narrow scope of what the gameplay should be. That the macros to enable such play for all this time alone is enough to render your entire point moot, and the irony of it seems lost on you.

2. Your second point is so far reaching, such a jump in logic, that I believe addressing it would grant it more creditability than it is worth. "Most people disagree with me, it must be those nasty boxers posting from multiple accounts." A simple search of the accounts post history prove that wrong, if you could be bothered to check for a few minutes.

3. I believe they already had a zero box server, but details escape me. Its possible they got merged with another one way back. But I would support it as well, if nothing else to show you just how alone you really are in your thinking. It would not be "extremely popular". It would be popular for 12 weeks, or however long it takes for the first 2-3 expansions to crank out. Once all the easy high value items have been farmed and sold, people would move on. And you would find yourself largely alone admit tumbleweeds. A solo player, playing a single character, in a game largely designed for multiple characters, but not necessarily multiple players.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  7. Bardy McFly Augur

I'm also tired of the argument "if you want to box and and not interact with anyone, go play something else". Many boxers do interact. I'm quite active on the general and zone chats. I so enjoy buffing and handing out unneeded loot in PoK (I don't sell gear to make Krono, again a misperception and lumping of all boxers as "Kronolords"). I do talk to others, every day. Just because boxers don't want to group with you doesn't mean they want to play in a complete bubble.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Bardy McFly Augur

So much truth in this. People complain all the time already about needing Truebox turned off post-PoP because the servers are dying. To throw a forced single-character policy on top of that..
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This^

Most boxers do not exclusively box, most are flexible players who box some of the time & group at other times, there are of course some players who only box but they are in a minority in my experience.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  10. Captain Video Augur

Aradune is supposed to be a two-box-limit server, but they have never been able to enforce it. What chance would there be of enforcing a one-box-limit rule on any TLP?
    Niskin and Bardy McFly like this.
  11. Elite_raider Augur

You have your own server, go to Aradune and stop being toxic on the forums.
    Lanffear likes this.
  12. Fell Augur

I find it even more amusing that you don't realize that this statement illustrates the scope of the problem.
  13. Fell Augur

Great question. Through "enforcement" alone -- no chance. The only real method is tweaking the game mechanics and interface to make boxing impractical, at least beyond a certain point.
  14. Fell Augur

You missed the part where I suggested this change only for a small subset of box-limited servers.
  15. Machen New Member

No one on Rizlona is driving off single account players. People know what they are in for when they play on Rizlona.
    Lanffear likes this.
  16. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

There is a line between boxer and botter. Most of us don't cross that line, because we find boxing to be doable enough with the in-game tools. If they removed things like /follow, we would be forced to make a choice. Some would choose to quit, some would use botting software, it's doubtful very many would just say "ok, I guess I'll only play one character at a time." You seem to think people would only choose that last option, because you fail to understand other people that don't think like you.

I played with a single account from 1999-2017, taking breaks in there of course, but I always came back, always had only one account. It worked until it didn't anymore, so I adjusted. Now I have a second account, which is really just my son's old F2P account that I subbed and used. Sometimes I will play only one account, if I have enough friends online to support that. Having more options means I can do something when I play, even if others aren't around to facilitate that. That's life on a Live server these days.

On the TLP's, I could take advantage of the PUG density and only play one. Maybe someday I will, but as was discussed in another recent thread, my playtime logistics don' fit well with what PUGs expect. So losing the ability to box would just mean I wouldn't play at all, no matter how badly you want it to mean "I'd just play one instead."

The bigger question is, why do you think things would get better for you if people couldn't box anymore?
    Bardy McFly and Skuz like this.
  17. dlovin2 New Member

Unfortunately you can never limit boxers. you can run EQ on 6 different laptops and still open all 6 one one mega machine with like team viewer.
  18. Fell Augur

I could turn it around, and ask why you think things would be so much worse for you if non-boxers had their own server. But instead I'll answer your question. Here's a partial list:

1) Boxing reduces interplayer interaction and dependency, which is the heart of any good MMO.
    2) Box farming degrades a server's economy. It's human nature to take the path of least resistance; why trouble to organize a group and camp an item you want, if you can purchase it cheap from a farmer?
    3) A boxer is a solo person consuming group and raid content. That cheapens the experience for those who group and raid legitimately, and leaves less content for everyone else.
    4) It is far easier for a boxer to monopolize a camp than a full group. It's much harder to hold a group together for 12 hours straight than for one person to do so. (and please, no irrelevant distractions about solo necros monopolizing camps -- that's a different issue entirely.)
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

No worries. :)
  20. jiri_ Augur

On point one, that's true, but it's an effect as much as it is a cause. Boxing reduces interaction between players, but people also start boxing because there aren't as many players to interact with. If you want to level a rogue on Aradune, for example, you're kind of in a tough place. Groups between the high teens and the low 50s are rare; that's not where the population is anymore.

Boxing ends up being the lesser of two evils, I think. It's the automation software that's the problem.
    Skuz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.