Adv Loot is driving me crazy.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by SleezerGeezer, May 31, 2021.

1. SleezerGeezer Elder

I click on Always Need, and items are still appearing in loot window with no checked box.
    Joules_Bianchi and Fallfyres like this.
  2. Annastasya Augur

We need more info to help you on this. The advanced loot system is very good, but has a pretty high learning curve. There's a lot to unpack in it that is not explained well in-game. Your experience solo, with this loot system and in a group are going to be..a bit frustrating and divergent from each other until you've gotten a good grasp on it.

You do not have to use the advanced loot system. You can turn it off and click on corpses the old way if you like, but you may find most other players use the advanced system and it will apply if you group with them.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Credit - PathToEternity
    PathToEternity likes this.
  4. SleezerGeezer Elder

If it takes an 18 min video to explain Adv Loot then Adv Loot is poorly designed.
    DillyBar likes this.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Poorly labeled maybe, but that's more a side-effect of limited space with lots of options. Once you get it configured for how you play, and for the loot where you are fighting, you don't have to think about it much. So it's a good system, and like anything worthwhile, it takes some effort to utilize it properly.

These days I click AN or NV for the most part, and that's only when I go somewhere new.
    Duder and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  6. Febb Augur

If you can't take 18 minutes to watch a video then something is wrong with you.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Advanced loot is a powerful tool, and while it takes a bit to learn it once you have got it down it is something you will wonder how you played without it.

"When you stop learning, you start dying." - Albert Einstein
    Fallfyres likes this.
  8. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

It's not perfect, but it's infinitely better than manually checking every corpse and then figuring out a somewhat fair way to split up coin, vendor items, etc. Remember grouping back in the day, and that one guy would always loot faster than you? Or someone keeping track of an alphabetical loot list and taking turns?

For my part, advloot is the single greatest QOL feature they have added to the game ever, maybe second only to making items linkable.

Also, it really doesn't require an 18 minute video to figure it out. Most of us did it with no video at all, and just a bit of trial and error. The video is helpful though for those that are struggling with it :)
    Skuz likes this.
  9. OldRodKS Elder

After getting used to using the window, I like it. But I have an issue where sometimes stuff gets stuck in the window and never random rolls out, even though everyone in the group has clicked an option. It doesn't happen all that often, but maybe once or twice in a play session. It's not LORE or NODROP, just normal junk vendor loot.

What causes that, does anyone know?
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Memory bugs out if there are too many items in the window but can also be when a player either leaves or joins the group too.

The way to avoid that is once an item times out to drop it on the corpse, sometimes they dont get purged from the list & just get stuck there, when that happens you are best advised to reform the group so that you clear the stuck items out, otherwise they will start causing client crashes.

Talking of client crashes these start happening with lots of items in the loot window nobody wanted & which haven't been dropped on corpses yet, often when you try to adjust the preferences on an item in that scenario you will get a client crash to desktop - very typical if you are joining a group that had a bunch of loot sat in their ADV loot window.

Master looter actively removing unwanted items from the window really helps a lot with reducing crashes from adv loot problems, it's one reason I really wish there was a setting for automatically "always drop on corpse" so I could put items I know I definitely do not want to loot as that & never need to manually purge all the junk I dont want.
    Riou and OldRodKS like this.
  11. Nolrog Augur

There are two check boxes. One is need and one is always need. I have made the mistake before of clicking need and not always need which means you have to select it again the next time it drops.

It's a solid addition to the game, but if 18 minutes is too long for an overview, feel free to not use it and loot the old fashioned way.
  12. quakedragon Augur

I wasn't a fan at first, but after learning it, its good.
    It's 18 mins because there's a lot you can do with it.

An improvement on it would be,
    1. An options checkbox, if solo, item is need/want then loot item right away (no rolling)
    2. Roller timer, custom change the wait time, like roll happens after 5 seconds. So if your just xping, no one cares too much about loot, but if your hunting nameds, maybe set timer to 1 min then roll. Possibly have a trash and named timer, trash mobs 5 seconds then roll, nameds 1 min then roll.

I think where people get confused is they click want/need checkbox. (now what), have to wait 2 mins or so before roll happens or you have to force the roll. If your solo. Why is there a 2 min wait and a roll?

Frustration is probably, I want it now, why wait 2 mins for a roll, especially if I'm solo?
    Stymie likes this.
  13. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

If I have a group of my boxes is there a way I can default the loot to one character? cause the popup window is a pita when grouping but i probably don't have a setting checked?
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

NV on the boxes, AN on the looter. For the boxes, set the options that tell the window not to pop up, even on new items.
    Deux likes this.
  15. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Do those options kick in when I play the boxes alone or is this a group only setting?
    i.e. solo box - AN blue diamonds
    same box grouped - NV blue diamonds
  16. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It's per character as far as i know. So it won't care if you are solo or grouped, or who you are grouped with. Those will be the loot settings for that character. It's also separate per client since the settings are local. So you could play a character on one PC with settings configured for your group, and play them solo on another PC with settings configured for solo. Just have to remember which is which.
    Deux likes this.
  17. quakedragon Augur

I just looked at it, I would try, setting your looter as the advloot person then, 1. Advloot 2. Loot settings 3. Auto loot all

So only improvement now that I'd like to see is adjustable loot timers. 2 mins or so is pretty long wait.
    Deux likes this.
  18. Velisaris_MS Augur

The biggest improvement they could make to adv loot is to do away with all of the unnecessary drop down menus.

Things like "loot all", "leave on corpse", "free grab", etc all need to just be buttons you click as the master looter. The only things that needs to be in the drop downs are the group member names.

They also need a button to immediately roll on things in the loot window, instead of waiting forever to actually do the roll.

Buttons good...drop downs bad.
  19. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

DP if you're reading this thread please add an option for "MASTER LOOTER" loot all or use loot filter and for the group members they can agree to Soandso being the master looter.
    Joules_Bianchi and Velisaris_MS like this.
  20. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Also- Hidecorpses Looted is NOT triggered by advloots.