Add maps to the game.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Strawberry Augur

Adding maps to the game would be the most straightforward and cost-effective way to make this game more accessible.

This idea that players need to go to a site, download an unverified zip file, ignore all the Windows warnings about the potential dangers, just to be able to get around in a game, is insane.

Add internal maps, this is years overdue.
    Leerah, Stymie, Raptorjesus5 and 5 others like this.
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Can't you say "please" at the very least?
    Valdest, Celephane and Nennius like this.
  3. Strawberry Augur

I don't think players should need to beg to get basic functionality in a game which they pay for.
    Axel and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  4. Riou EQResource

They tried to do this, but it was too time consuming so it never got past the like 1st phase of maps
    Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

No need to beg. Just download one of the 2 very well known map packs that thousands of players use. They are free.
  6. Strawberry Augur

This goes completely against everything people do to stay safe online.

Very few people simply download random zip files, and very few are comfortable doing that. That's why we have repositories in the hands of trustworthy holders, like Github (Microsoft), and ever then most people are not comfortable with it.

Having to download maps outside of the game's install process, creates unnecessary friction and hurdles that could simply be solved by adding maps.
    Stymie and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

There are not supposed to be "internal maps" in the first place. The entire POINT of the implementation was to make your OWN maps. Just be grateful you can download other people's work.

Door is ---> that way.
    Jennre, nitrocutter, Hypatia and 7 others like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There is an internal default map in the game.

It is not as inclusive as Brewells or Goods. It is basic.

I for one am very appreciative of Brewell and Goods that they donate all their time to have such labor intensive work. I doubt a dev or any employee of the game would be able to do as good of a job.

Not sure why you got a warning, always been safe for others. Maybe check your settings?

Most of us are more knowledgeable than 20 years ago when it was evil to click any link - now you kinda have the education of what is subject to concern.

And 2 maps from known players whom everyone else in the game has used for years should not cause concern.
    nitrocutter and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  9. Strawberry Augur

It requires lots of willful ignorance to pretend like the average player makes their own maps or has ever done so.

The average player does not want to make their own maps, and has never done so.
    Stymie and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  10. Strawberry Augur

For a very limited number of zones, there are internal maps, for most there are not.

When a returning players comes back to EQ, they have a map for Crescent, but once they zone into Blightfire Moors at lvl 15, they no longer have maps.
  11. Zolav Augur

Two fine points made and both are right.

1-How many of us ran around lost until someone said "bruh you need to go get maps from such and such site" then we had to figure out how to do that.. now it seems simple "to just go get maps" BUT!!! It was a pain when you first encountered this problem, admit it!

2-BUT Yes Maps should 100 perc be part of the downloadable package from the vendor. It is silly they are not. very simple QOL for new or returning people.
    Stymie and Axel like this.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Wrong, we did make our own maps until mapfiend and a few others came out. Now those were scary downloads.

I think you had a problem with your download and are frustrated.

What all would you like for $9 a month? That is the discount rate.
    Jennre and Nennius like this.
  13. Zarkdon Augur

I made my own maps when the map feature first came out. It was quite fun.

And that was what, 3 or 4 years after EQ was out? Part of the magic was learning a zone.
    Hypatia, Joules_Bianchi and Aenvar like this.
  14. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Why are we discussing what average players do? The average player just uses Brewall or Good's maps. We're apparently discussing your extreme outlier case of being too paranoid to download maps that thousands of other players are using without any issues. If that security concern is so extreme for you and only you, then you have the option to make your own maps as was the original intent when the mapping feature was introduced.
  15. Strawberry Augur

It has absolutely nothing to do with paranoïa. Not downloading random zip files online is basic-common-sense that even kids are taught in school nowadays.

Don't defend game design that involves breaking those rules to be able to navigate in a video game. No other game demands from their players to go to such lengths to be able to navigate vast zones, neither should Everquest.

Everquest developers have asked how to make the game accessible. Here is a straightforward suggestion: Put maps in the game.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  16. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

You've been on these forums a very long time. If you still don't know a single player you'd trust to send you a map file, I apologize. I can send them to you if you like! I'm a stand up guy.
  17. Strawberry Augur

Thanks, but it's not about me, I can navigate zones just fine.

It's for the person I watched on Twitch who tried out Everquest a few days ago, only to end up completely lost, to the point where I ended up making a character on his server just to help him out. It is an affront to the game how difficult it is to navigate the game for beginning players when they don't have maps. These people shouldn't be told that they need to go to a 3rd party site to be able to enjoy their game, they should have the tools to do so after downloading the game.
    Leerah and Stymie like this.
  18. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Please don't ruin my immersion because bad players get easily lost.
  19. Strawberry Augur

Well, no one forces you to click the map button.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  20. Riou EQResource

I mean you have to do this for other MMO's too where addon's / mod's are basically required to not have a worse time, they also have exe file addon/mod managers you have to trust beyond just a zip file full of txt files