Feature Request: Merc Mend

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tarvas, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

It would be nice for those that molo to be able to heal a merc tank in a fashion similar to Mend Companion, except on a timer able to keep up with a single current era trash mob for the character's level. Currently, a tank merc does okay on single targets without heals up to the Hive (level 70 hot zone at 72 - this is as far as I have gotten). By making it a button to be pushed the player has to at least be active in the play, though yes, I know there are easy workaround for "AFK play." This will make it easier for those that molo on any character type to get something done in game, but not so overpowering as to provide an advantage over other players.

Thoughts?
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

For Moloing I always felt that:

Merc Tank for CLR/DRU/SHM
    Merc DPS for SHD/PAL/BST
    Merc Healer for every other class

If you are using a tank Merc & you aren't a Priest I think you'd have a DPS character box that was using a Healer Merc - but then you aren't Moloing.

Maybe rather than a Mend ability on the Merc Tank there could be a "can only be used on Mercs" Heal spell for those classes with heals.
  3. Conq Augur

Merc's are the Devil.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  4. Laronk Augur

Maybe not at max level, but I think molo with a merc should be easy mode upto level 100 on live non tlp servers. Really it would be nice if any two players who suck at the game + a healer merc and a tank merc could kill nameds upto level 100. I'm not sure what to do about the gap between 100 and 110 maybe making mercs get a special buff in content that is 2+ expansions old so that non max level players (or max level players who have to camp something a bit older) can get more help.

I have multiple 115's on multiple accounts the above suggestion would not effect me at all personally but would make the game easier for returning/lower level players who are in a part of the game where it can be hard to meet other players and get help. I also support level 100+ heroics.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Mercs. See my signature.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Great. You and Conq should get a room ;)
    Coagagin likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Too late. How do you think I got this way????? :eek:
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. zleski Augur

I use a Rogue merc with my shaman and it's basically easy mode.
    Coagagin likes this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Depends on what level of the game you are playing at what your AA & gear level are I would think.
    Shaman are strong soloers and I have known some excellent soloers who have used healer mercs as their tank to clear in-era progression content, some using Merc Tanks and a few do as you & use the Melee DPS Merc.
  10. zleski Augur

Right now she is working through COTF progression, as a 115 Shaman. The merc has vigilant gear and not yet to max merc dps. I expect that as she progresses through COTF up to current, she will improve merc stats and result in the content being even easier.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If you're not doing Overseer for merc AAs, don't hold your breath. You will be getting so little XP in CotF @ 115, that you'll be lucky to see 1-2 merc AA points/week. And the later ranks of the merc AAs cost 10 and 14 points per rank.
    Tarvas and Skuz like this.
  12. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

So I tried that briefly in EW with my 115 shaman and was surprised how well it worked (again very limited test). I was surprised I was able to throw a couple of DPS spells in between healing. What I would like though is for the ability to DPS full-time while keeping the tank merc up with a mend AA tuned for engaging a single non-rare, level appropriate mob. It would allow a moloer greater flexibility while not being game breaking.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That would be awesome. The ability to do that would've prevented the need to box, for me. As a druid with a tank merc, it was ridiculous how much healing was required for a not-even-quite-same-level mob, and even then, it was a crapshoot.
    Aenvar likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Mercs are significantly worse than a group-geared player, which means without a full time player healer the Tank is bad (a mana sponge / paper tank) if like me you rely on a Tank Merc and 2 Healer Mercs that just about works for 5 levels ago or older progression so long as you have all the merc AA for in era stuff it's going to be painful and frustrating.

Moloing will only get you so far because this is still a game that focuses heavily on group play, there is no solo/molo-levelling path, doing progression content molo most classes can tackle stuff that is several expansions old at best, the classses that are good soloers of course do better.

I do think that a solo or molo path through the game to get you within say 5 levels of max would be great but I wouldn't hold your breath, even if it would mean EQ would attract more players I am not sure the devs want to put that amount of work in and the EQ brand kinda likes to be different & distinguish itself to the other MMO who do cater to solo play.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There are PLENTY of solo/molo paths through the game, even to near-ish max level, but it depends on your class. For druid, the tank merc is a joke, because, yes, we can heal it OK, but then who does DPS? Merc tanks' DPS stinks, and the player can't do anything but heal.

They could double the effectiveness of the tank merc, and it would still be way worse than a player tank.

There would be a lot more solo/molo paths for a lot of classes with one very simple change. Get rid of summoning, unless it's a named or some other special mob. Open world zone trash should not summon. Period.