New TLPs - Races / classes

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vumad, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

I think it would be cool if one of the next TLPs unlocked all races and classes from day 1. Races like Iksar could be started in a zone with appropriate alliance and classes like BST and ZER can be started in SHM and WAR areas. I noticed while playing the new TLP that items do have BST listed so I know the gear and such is in place. I don't know what would be needed other than the DEV work of assigning the starting areas. I think some players could whine that Iksar and Zer shouldn't be in classic, or missing newbie quests, but I think in most instances players would be happy to be able to play the classic launch on races and classes they never got to before, and would be willing to tolerate a limited number of areas to buy spells and discs.

Personally I am on a Human NEC. I won't reroll with Kunark launches and I'm not going to spend 2500 DBC for a race change. I'll be just fine given those two options to just continue the human. However, if I had the option I would have picked Iksar or Vah Shir BST, and would have zero complaints if I was starting in some other place than Kunark or Luclin.
  2. nagash101 Augur

All I want is a Halfling Ranger on day one. Why can't Dwarfs be Bards. I have watched LotR and Dwarfs have beautiful singing voice. Seems very Racist that Dwarfs can't Bard.
    Vumad likes this.
  3. Atomos Augur

I'm hoping the next server has completely unlocked race/class combos. So people can be Troll Necromancers and Ogre Rogues and Iksar Druids and Gnome Monks and Dwarf Enchanters and Halfling Bards and Dark Elf Rangers and Barbarian Paladins and and and and and and

But yeah music is kind of a universal thing so the lack of Bard races is really weird to me.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'd love to at least see all classes available on a TLP starting in classic, race/class combinations is less of a concern to me though I would enjoy having the ability to box a group made up of only my favourite race.
    After all there are a lot of illusion items for many races but several are missing as options - adding in quested Troll etc illusion items would be nice if opening up more race/class combinations is not done though - actually if I was going to think about adding to older content some illusion quests added in for the early expansions would be what I would start with.
  5. nagash101 Augur

Ogre Bard....make it happen!!!!!
  6. Zapsos Augur

7. SoandsoForumUser Augur

I'm doing that currently with high elf and enjoying it, just need to be flexible in your box crew makeup :p Erudite, dark elf, and human all have pretty big flex ranges as well.
  8. SleezerGeezer Elder

There is no single thing that would generate more buzz than a server without any race class restrictions at all. None. Let me play a Halfling Shaman. Let me play a Gnome Monk. Imagine how many players would resub to play!!!
  9. Nolrog Augur

The amount of work that would need to go into something like this is staggering. There is no Crescent Reach available for everyone to go to, so evil classes would have difficulty getting spells and visiting guild masters. Itemization would need to be reviewed to ensure it is able to be used by everyone (there are class, race and deity restrictions on things.) Can quests be done by classes not originally intended?
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

They would have no more difficulty than they do now on a fresh TLP, in regards to spells. Guildmasters though, yeah. And I don't think itemization would need to be touched. Already items say they are usable by races and classes not yet on Mischief. The big thing would be the berserker and beastlord epics. At the very least, activating the hybrid classes for gnomes and halflings shouldn't be any more difficult than changing a line of code per.
  11. Ravanta Suffer Augur

So what you're saying is you're bad.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

This thread again. :rolleyes:
    Nolrog likes this.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

Right. So you think reviewing and adding those combos to every item in the early game wouldn't be a show-stopper?
  14. Nolrog Augur

It would be far more difficult. Try buying spells as a dark elf bard or a troll ranger. You are hated nearly everywhere and there aren't bard spells in Neriak or ranger spells in Ogguk.

There are tons of things that have class / race restrictions. That would all have to be looked at and revised for this specific server. Anything that has race restrictions would need to be reviewed. If you look at the epics alone, some have class/race restrictions, some are just class (e.g, Cleric, SK, mage have races on them, paladin has race All.) I got a shield on my SK that I cannot use as a dark elf (Minotaur Ribcage: Class: WAR PAL RNG SHD ROG BRD Race: HUM ERU HEF FRG). Every single thing that drops would need to be reviewed and determined if it should be open to all or if it should be limited in some way. That is a massive amount of work. Massive.

Not to mention the fact that the lore behind a dark elf or troll paladin is strange, and not all races have all animations, so can a troll ranger actually shoot a bow? Can an ogre bard play the drums?
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

all currently available race/class combos in at the start:

Can it be done? yes
    Would it require a lot of work? yes
    Would it make a lot of players happy? for sure.

every race class combo including those not currently available:

can it be done? maybe
    There are likely to be some real problems here since the devs actually cannot change animation files on players and some races simply do not have certain animations available that certain classes use.
    Also some races don't have a robe look natively what it would involve to give them that I don;t know but with this old game there is probably a big difficulty adding them to those races.

Would it require a lot of work? yes
    For some races what the devs would essentially need to do is completely rebuild / recreate that race's file for the model and attributes like animations and wearable armor types in order to circumvent the limitations they have with the current old classic & luclin era models, that could be a huge amount of work but saying that if we were to get a new engine, and new player models these changes could possibly be rolled in with that - giving players 3 choices of model in a new engine for every race & all of them having all the armour types and animation sets that every class uses - rebuild/recreate the files for all the races and all the models (classic and Luclin) and you could then future proof the game allowing a broader range of looks for all the races. As a part of doing that you could add high res textures / skins to old models & luclin models (something P99 has for old models).

Would it make a lot of players happy? maybe
    This would be a costly thing to do and would take time siphoing off effort from other areas players could argue deserve this much attention, while the ability to create a character of any combination of class & race sounds great would this actually benefit the game long term?
    Would it create more attention for the game? - maybe but probably niot in isolation from other changes.
    But if it was done as part of a deep revamp of the game's UI & player models, and zone graphics this would make complete sense, bringing the whole game up to modern standards - I would also add to the current visual options for each race a much wider range of skin tones and hair styles for the new models.
  16. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

It would be as easy as a simple entry in the database, according to the armchair devs here on the forums. Don't you read? (That's sarcasm, I know you do, and it's not a jab at you)

But I'm not talking about unlocking all race/class combos. Just the ones that are already on live servers. That SHOULD be easy enough, minus the epics for BST/BER.

As far as animations, trolls can already be classes that can use bows, so yes, they could be a ranger if that was a determining factor. Any serious discussion for unlocking race/class combos should be done in regards to an upgraded EQ to a new, modern game engine. It would indeed be far too much work for EQLive, and you just KNOW the vocal silent majority here on the forums would have a field day complaining about this or that.
  17. Atomos Augur

Why do that? Seems like a waste of time. Only thing I can think of that would need to be fixed is epics, which the fact they have race restrictions on them is silly in the first place. TBH it would be pretty easy to turn on some internal flags to allow your character to equip anything anyway, or rather to ignore race restrictions.
    Otherwise, can't wear some equipment? Oh well, you're an Ogre Monk so it's OK.

One problem I can see is that if they didn't add a way for people to fix their race at the end of the server, there'd be no server transfers/merges. But honestly just having the unique experience would make losing the character worth it. How many people actually play their TLP chars all the way to and through live anyway?
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Because they wouldn't have a choice. They only thing these freaks could wear is ALL/ALL gear. Not quite true but you get the picture.