You left epics as BoP, so turn BoP back on for epic components

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Loxias, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Loxias New Member

I'm assuming you left epics as BoP (bind on pickup)(no-trade) because they're that way on FV. And I'm assuming that your predecessors debated the merits of both sides before they made that rule on FV. And I'm assuming that when you made this server, you probably re-hashed that discussion, before deciding it was still the right way to go. And I'm assuming some of the reasons you decided that is because Epics are so critical to many players, and you didn't want the free trade aspect of the server to take that away in this specific situation.

However, the fact that you took BoP (no-trade) off of components of the Epic quest, such as Lord Bergurgle's crown, means that we now have wizards with planar wands gating in every spawn and killing him, because they can now hold all the clerics that want to get their epic hostage at this stage, and force them to pay krono to complete the quest. I'm sure there are other stages in other epic quests that are happening this same way.

I'm perfectly happy with your decision to leave Epics as BoP (no-trade). But you need to fully commit to that decision by turning BoP (no-trade) back on for all the pieces, and maybe enabling it for some of the pieces that don't have BoP (no-trade) on normal servers, or this will be the most toxic server for Epics.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

BoP? I think you mean no trade and I only mention this because it is best to use the correct terms and not confuse people.

As for the epic drops they are set up exactly the same way as they are on FV and a change at this point would be a nerf for the players on FV. Also I think it is a bit early to worry about epic drops as you can't even start the quest until Kunark unlocks.
    Xhartor and Duder like this.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Bergurgle's Crown is tradeable on FV. Mischief's Free Trade restrictions are a straight copy of theirs.

Almost every class has multiple tradeable epic pieces, some more than others. Yeah it sucks if yours is the epic the farmers have decided to hold hostage.
  4. Loxias New Member

The epic quests aren't some mystery hidden behind a future expansion that no one knows about. TLP servers are on an increased expansion release schedule specifically because we know whats coming and we prepare early, and then act efficiently with each new unlock. It's stupid to think that we shouldn't try to get something like this fixed because it's not 'in-era' for another 2 weeks.
  5. Loxias New Member

I'm not saying this is different than FV. I think I specifically said this is the exact same as FV, and that it makes sense that they chose to copy that.

What I'm saying is that FV, as server that released...right before OoW launched?...did not run into this issue like we are going to. So different situations may require re-thinking the solution to meet the present problem, instead of just shrugging it off with the reasoning of 'that's how that other non-TLP server did it that one time'.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure they are known about and you probably have people pre farming them for guild mates, friends and alts. My point was this isn't something that is an issue now and it might have to be addressed once Kunark unlocks and we see how the farming goes. If they made any changes it would likely be after Kunark launches as they already have test patched with the current changes next week. Also any changes are going to impact FV as well and that should be considered as overall this will be a temporary problem on the TLP's and it will be nice to have some of those items be tradeable later on.
  7. Atomos Augur

There are a lot of epic pieces available in Classic, Classic probably even holds over half of each epic quest. It would be wise IMO to already be working on your epic pieces the moment you're high enough level to kill whatever is involved, and one of the reasons why is the very thing the OP is complaining about. Also, Kunark is only 2 weeks away.
  8. brickz Augur

No they didn't. Every item has a nodrop and a fvnodrop flag. Absolutely no decisions were made with regard to what specific items are or are not nodrop on this server. All they did was set it to read the fvnodrop flags
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure but do we know what the state of these items will be once more people level up and start actively camping for the epic drops? As of right now I am guessing the number of people wanting to farm them is lower.
  10. Loxias New Member

Simple logic says that more people will only make the situation worse. For example, Lord Bergurgle. He is a single spawn, with placeholders, in a zone that almost no one ever goes to. Picks of this zone do not naturally occur. At the level 50 cap, the mob already lives for less than 2 seconds when contested. A higher level cap and more people can only make this situation worse, and not better. The epic quests being open and able to be completed will only make this more desirable for Krono farmers due to the increased demand, not less.

I don't see a reason to wait until it gets worse to bring it up as a problem.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  11. Kumiko_Lockjaw Elder

Already have 9 of 11 items of my epic. And there is only 1 item not tradable.
    Nolrog likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

But it also means you won't have wizards gating in and killing every spawn because there will be competition. Sure it might be harder for some to get the epic parts but isn't there always a struggle on a new TLP for these parts as lots of people want to camp them at first?
  13. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Sounds like the OP needs to sack up and make a wizzy alt.
  14. Metanis Bad Company

So this "BoP" acronym, I take it that's a thing in some other game like WoW?
  15. Loxias New Member

Why would the wizard stop? He buys a new instant-click wand to spam for 500g and he gets an epic piece that he's currently selling for 4 krono out of it. Because of the free trade nature, something that you can reliably farm and then sell for krono to buy what you want only becomes more appealing over time, not less.
  16. taliefer Augur

The fact that some epic pieces are tradeable is a positive, not a negative to me. I actually wish none of the components were still no drop, and the only thing actually not tradeable was the epics themselves.

and Push come to shove, id actually rather the epics be tradeable too, but thats unlikely to happen.
    Appren likes this.
  17. Kumiko_Lockjaw Elder

Yes. The OP may have played wow for many years and got used to their version of"no drop", which is called "bind on pickup" aka BoP
  18. suineg-eq New Member

And if it was NODROP they would just hold it hostage for loot rights. This way you can easily find it for sale in the tunnel when you are online.

It's a win/win.
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

This is a really good point. Something like bergurgle is ripe for 2
    4 7 afk farmers now.

They honestly should just remove the low chance of getting these times sinks, ala seb key. Make it trivial but still necessary.
    Aiona likes this.
  20. Atomos Augur

I mean, if any prior TLP is any indication, epic pieces are highly contested and anything that can't be gotten in a DZ can be a nightmare. Unless it was fixed, some epic stuff was multiquestable, but that doesn't even matter when people are camping epic pieces just to sell loot rights.