Why did you bother buffing Necros?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dwimmerlaike, May 19, 2021.

1. Chaosflux Augur

They should always be competitive they are a dps class

If they aren't competitive its because the groups tank sucks and isn't pulling enough to cycle DOT and thats exactly how it should be.

This dudes necro is doing bad. Because he's eithet not burning like ever, or he's not cycle dotting, because my boxed 110 necro on miragul definitely sustains higher than that on a decent length combine. Lol
    Zynt likes this.
  2. Slasher Augur

Not about ignoring them or being a bad player. They're situational and are on the same timer as axe throw so you're taking a dps loss to use them (a very small one though). If you're a solo zerker you're obviously using anything you can to help but in a raid ? useless. in a group ? Mostly useless. No one can say they're not utility but no one can compare how useful they're compared to utility other classes have that is my point.

Let me ask you this. A wizard has snare/root/stun but in a raid how often are you actually using these spells ? Or in a group ? It's the same as a zerker in my opinion they're situational and not very useful unless you're kiting/soloing and how often are you doing that now days ?
  3. kizant Augur

It's no different for necros. On a raid or in a group with a good tank/healer you're generally just DPSing. I think that was the point being made.

When solo a Wizard only really gets use out of snare since we can't root rot and stun/runes aren't enough to tank. Even with a healer merc it's pointless unless you go back 3+ expansions. In a dungeon with little room it's sometimes helpful to have root/stun for kiting in addition to snare but that's rarely a good idea anymore. Especially in CoV with almost everything summoning and the insane HP increase. If a Wiz wants to solo I suggest kiting outdoors in ToV and that's about it.
    menown likes this.
  4. Axel Furry Hats OP

This. A necro should gigarek the zerkers in that scenario. Tank should pull more, necro go bottom->up, zerkers go top->down on ETW.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Tappin Augur

Assuming stupid long play sessions, zerks are better DPS then necros. If a tank’s doing his job, even a raid geared necro runs lom. But, that’s more of a bot scenario. So who cares really.
  6. Chaosflux Augur

Whoa let's not throw terms like gigarek around here, they compete if they use the proper tactics, especially post nerfs to traps and dots that were a significant source of damage using those tactics.

They are about where they should be, unless you don't play them adapted to modern tanking techniques. If you play like its 2003, yes you do bad, but thats every class, because his zerkers also seem awfully low.
  7. Maedhros High King

This is absolutely true. I often make jokes about being at 95% or more Endurance on my berserker even at the end of some of the medium to long raids like Crusaders.
    Over ridiculously long play periods a berserker can keep going pretty much forever, very seldom to never needing to stop for endurance sake.
    Necros bleed mana now faster than their tools can keep up with after the dot consolidation.
  8. Whulfgar Augur

This sums up every aingle necro crying about this whole deal.. even tho they knew ahead of their power up yes ago.. this was gonna happen.
  9. Tucoh Augur

I don't play every class but it's funny that the only class i play with endurance concerns is the damn bard
    Maedhros likes this.
  10. Maedhros High King

My bard is my best geared alt and he runs out of mana and endurance faster than any toon I play.
    My ranger is retired but I assume rangers and druids are in the worst shape.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I'm way too much of a scrub to offer a valuable opinion, but from what I see, Druids really need help with mana regen. Even using wolf constantly, and popping the mana bear when available, my druid runs low on mana before any of my other chars, especially when I push the DPS. We get three AA nukes, and if you look at the last several (8 maybe?) ranks for each, the mana efficiency for all three gets worse with each rank. I don't expect it to get better (more efficient), but I wish they would just leave the DPM ratio alone instead of making it worse with each new rank.
  12. Tucoh Augur

If I posted this response from my ranger alt's account I would run out of mana before finishing typing this sentence.

It feels like DBG tried to make mana a precious resource that players have to conserve and use carefully, but instead of spreading out the misery they just funneled it all onto rangers.
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea so should wizards!

Andarriel
  14. Tappin Augur

I thought wizards were a port class.
  15. Chaosflux Augur

Absolutely should yeh
  16. Tucoh Augur

Wizards are a utility class, not a DPS class. They should be glad they can out-dps bards, who still don't have a port song.
  17. Axel Furry Hats OP

They get Melanie's Mellifluous Motion, which is a group shadowstep song, so technically a very small port.

That said, Druids are also a port-utility class and they can, with 1 damage spell, outparse any class other than necros, and necros need to be casting a lot of spells to begin to even think about sniffing a Druid's DPS.
    Tucoh likes this.
  18. aozs Augur

Been messing with a necro box team lately, the dps does seem in line with melee as long as I'm fighting multiples and tab-dotting.

But holy moly those mana costs, even just throwing only big pyre on each mob runs them oom so much faster than any other class I've played (except maybe a ranger burning), and I haven't even worked in alliances yet.
  19. Szilent Augur

I posit that you are not in the habit of sufficiently high casting volume for those other classes.
  20. aozs Augur

For the big mana hungry classes I generally adjust the spam bind to be more sustainable (ie I didn't have my druid NFW every mob, omitting bst/rng dots, etc). The difference with necro is the "sustainable" setup seems to be a lot weaker (nukes, swarm pets, no swifts because they are absolutely terrible).

Actually I guess in general it's just DoTs that have huge mana costs and they weren't really worth casting in other group setups because stuff dies too fast. Necro team relies on them to get work done so I can't really skimp.