Looking for clarification on 3rd party software

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whiteviperx, May 29, 2021.

1. Zarkdon Augur

Maybe I'm in the minority, but who really cares what others do as long as they aren't being caustic to other players.
    Endorek and Metanis like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Might not be that soon as they have many other games still not on the launcher.

I have noticed all the new TLPs seem to be true box servers now. All those could go under the new launcher with no problem.

I could see all of EQ or just Live servers continuing to be accessed via the EQ Launcher if as many people are using things like I See Bees or Massive Quacks as some say. Though I wonder if their anti cheat would have an issue with I See Bees.

If we actually do get a 64 bit client that may also put a dent in automation software if they take the opportunity to make it harder to do.

What all that will do with that agreement DBG made with Massive Quacks is anyone's guess. Maybe that is the point they crack down on things.

I would assume any crackdown wouldn't affect the Truebox TLPs at all.
  3. Viper1 Augur

If SOE had just made an officially supported platform for user created add-ons back in 2003, like blizzard did for WoW, we wouldn't have the 3rd party software today.
    Metanis likes this.
  4. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Sever selection is done in the client, rather than the launcher, so they would most likely just migrate to a new launcher for the whole client when they are ready to do so. Or do the launcher when they do the new client, which I would assume would be further down the timeline.

Making an officially supported platform for add-ons doesn't mean they would just allow that software to do anything it wanted, so there would still be 3rd party software if it's doing something against the rules.
  5. Slasher Augur

Wow has addons and yet it still has 3rd party software people use.
  6. Angahran Augur

There is a difference between 3rd party addons, e.g. something like GINA vs the cheat software that lets you display every mob in a zone, see a mobs loot before you kill it or warp instantly from one side of a zone to the other, insta-kill a mob and warp away again, or that lets someone automate an entire group so it pulls, kills, loots, etc while they go watch a movie.
    Coagagin likes this.
  7. Zarkdon Augur

I'm just glad they set up tradeskills so you can buy what combines you need, hit combine all, and go watch a movie.
  8. Angahran Augur

until 'combine all' randomly stops for no reason :p
    Warpeace and Tatanka like this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Seems to have to do with lag.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Which happens regularly and predictably in PoK. To confirm, log in as soon as possible after a patch when the PoK population is low and notice how much less frequently combine all fails as opposed to when the population is high in PoK. I should note that it does occasionally happen in my guild hall though. Lag is an enemy of good gameplay.