Is there a trick to trueboxing?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Razorfall, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Razorfall Augur

OK, so i am trying out Mischief. I bought a mini pc off amazon so i could play a second toon (going to be running a Warrior/Cleric combo). Whenever I try to attack something I instantly get DC'd. I have tried setting up my spam keys as 1 on keyboard A and 2 on keyboard B, but still get DC'd.

I put in a support ticket and they said it had something to do with my UI. So I deleted my ui files and still nothing. I have now completely deleted the folder and reinstalled EQ on both computers and I am still getting disconnected.

The only two variables that are the same on the computers are that they have EQ and my antivirus (Bitdefender).

The only thing I haven't done at this point is reinstall windows on both computers.

Any ideas?
  2. Gnothappening Augur

Do you get disconnected if you run just one computer? Otherwise, making sure you have different main keys for stuff should prevent that.
  3. Razorfall Augur

Nope. In fact I can run both if I auto attack on computer A and hit my spam key on computer B
  4. Numiko Augur

Don't press keys on multiple keyboards at the same time. If the truebox detects input from multiple sources at the same time it will kick you.

press your macro keys on your first PC and then press them on account No.2's PC.

EQ especially in classic is very pedestrian game, nothing will one round you, you have lots of time to cast all the spells you want in a leisurely manner
  5. Lineater Augur

What do you mean by your spam key?

Maybe try a USB keypad, so most of your keybinds on the box are different? (Num1-Num0 instead of 1-0, etc).

May not solve this issue, but you should get one anyway. Keypads are great for boxing
  6. Razorfall Augur

I have now reinstalled windows on both PCs, and the only things on them are Direct X and EQ...and I still have the same issue. It is definitely something the truebox code doesn't like.

So this means I have to hit 1 on keyboard A, then 2 on keyboard B after keyboard A has completed it's key press? For my purposes it would work since the cleric would mostly be cycling the same spells, but it would be a pretty big inconvenience for my playstyle

I mean my multibind mash key. I have all the hotkeys on hotkey set 7 to use 1 on Keyboard A, and set all the hotkeys on set 7 to use 2 on Keyboard B.

I use a Logitech K400+ as my other keyboard. I can put it wherever on my desk and it has a built in trackpad
  7. Kylo Classic Augur

Try not spaming keys
    Appren likes this.
  8. Razorfall Augur

[IMG]
  9. Ultrazen Augur

Is there a trick? Yes!!

Not spamming keys, for sure. Further than that, it's all about macros. Everything the cleric needs to do can be easily macro'd. It's worth taking the time to get into the system, and figure out exactly how it works, because it will make your life 10x easier.

I'll just give you one example, let's say your tanks name is Razorfall:

/target Razorfall
    /pause 4
    /pause 60, /cast 1 (lets say you have your heal spell on gem 1)
    /sit

With one button, you can target your tank, cast the heal, and sit back down to med. Make macros like this for the tank and your healer. You can also macro anything else you need to do with the cleric like buffing via macro's like:

/target Whoever
    /pause 4
    /pause 60, /cast 2
    /pause 60, /cast 3
    /sit

In macro land, /pause 4 means you pause for 4/10ths of a second, so every 10=1 second. I use those short pauses to account for latency, and the EQ system takes a bit of time to actually acquire a target once you use something like /assist or /target. A macro like that will never fail to trigger, because you tried to cast the spell before the target "locked" on the EQ side.
  10. Neuro Elder

I run Multiplicity and it works amazingly well. It lets you link two or more machines and run them like they are the same PC. If I drag my mouse to the left, I am on my second machine and my keyboard/mouse control it. If I move it back, k&m control main PC again.
  11. Quasimojo Elder

Why are you "spamming" keys?
  12. MustardonWatermelon Elder

Enjoy your carpal tunnel surgery. Could you switch back and forth with a keystroke hotkey? All that constant side to side mouse movement sounds like a recipe for long term wrist pain.
  13. Hinastorm86 Augur

I also highly recommend multiplicity. If a tech idiot like me can figure it out, I almost guarantee you can. Much better than trying to juggle multiple mice/keyboards.
  14. Razorfall Augur

I have my spell rotation on a multibind so i just hit one button to cast spells.

I didn't think those were allowed so I didn't bother with it. Are they allowed?
  15. Spooky Augur

No, they're not allowed. Mods please take action. This is personally offensive to me as an individual.
    Lineater likes this.
  16. wade_watts Augur

Is Multiplicity against the TOS? I know it can send simultaneous keystrokes across PCs.
  17. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Just to be clear on the solution here, we don't know the specifics of why it disconnects you, but we know the common situations most people see it in. Pressing the same key on both computers at the same time is the most common reason, but it's not 100%.

I have two that I box at home, both on wired connections, and I can press 1 at the same time on both and not get disconnected. It's weird, I expected that it would based on other's experiences, but I leveled a Mage and Wizard together that way, using the same nukes on 1 over and over again. That's even spamming it, like pressing 1,1,1 in succession at exactly the same time to cover fizzles, global cooldown and all that.

Then I took those same two characters, and played them at another location. Main character on a wired PC, alt on a very old laptop on wifi. Within the first few times spamming 1's, they both got DC'd. Took me by surprise because I knew about this issue, but hadn't seen it for days while doing the exact same thing.

I ended up changing to use 1 on my main and 2 on my alt, and now it works fine on both sets of PC's. Best I can guess, they may be looking for a slight delay, like if the key had been broadcasted, so instead of the server seeing two 1's at the same time, it sees 1, then a few milliseconds, then 1 on the other. But really we don't know for sure.

I have the same firewall in both locations (the one where I got DC'd is an older version though). Home is Gigabit LAN, 100mb internet, other location is 100mb LAN, 120mb internet. Otherwise not much difference, aside from the slower computers and the 2nd PC being on Wifi in the second location.
  18. Demetri Augur

It seems more tolerant here than it's typically been Nisk.

When I forget a sec and spam my Lifetap on my necro and SK at the same time (both 3 on their respective machines), it's never the first that Trueboxes me. It's the third or fourth - instead of the old Phinigel 1st or 2nd. (or perhaps it can go on the first, but it tracks down to a tighter timeframe that's less likely to hit accidentally when human spamming both - i.e. 0.1 ms tolerance vs. 1ms tolerance)
  19. Demetri Augur

Also interesting with the adjustments they made to it - is that it segregates my machines from my wife's when I Truebox now. Used to be me TB'ing would take down all 5 - now, with them sharing the same primary gateway, but a different secondary router off the main (Just a cheap $25 splitter style) for my side of our shared office, only my three go down with a Truebox'ing.

As a result, almost feels like it looks for a router hardware ID to disconnect for a moment.

Just experience that I had and observed for people to work with to have more tolerant results.

Another trick I did on Phinny for avoiding Truebox (although it's a pain in the to set up, so I've not done here yet since I'm barely ever Trueboxing) - was to actually remap my entire keyboard on my boxes with Ctl-XXXXX keys and Alt-XXXXX keys and remap a key to lock Alt or Ctl on (in my case my KB has software that allows you to specify key up/down - so literally changed Alt and Ctl to toggle) - Truebox detection appears to treat Ctl-1 completely different from 1, etc so it was 100% flawless for me in spammier EQ eras.
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Interesting, if I understand what you are saying about the network, I got DC'd in exactly the same situation, but not DC'd in the opposite. So you have one internet connection with a router, and then another router behind that one for a separate section of the house? Or are both routers separate and getting separate IP's from the gateway?

In my home situation, I have a Linux firewall (pfSense) and most of the network is connected to that on a gigabit switch. Then I have a Cisco (Linksys) Internet Router running OpenWRT acting as the switch in my computer room where both EQ clients are. It's configured as a bridge and Wifi Access Point (Wireless-N), so there is no NAT on the network aside from the main firewall. This is the setup where I have had no issues. It's as optimal as I can make it.

The other location has an older pfSense firewall, and my main EQ client is connected to that via a 100mb switch. The second client is on Wifi, via an older Linksys router (Wireless-G), which is configured normally, so it's got it's own IP range and a layer of NAT between it and the main network. So the second client goes through two layers of NAT before it hits the internet. That is the setup where I got disconnected.