Newbie who want's to learn

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Wittorf, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Wittorf New Member

I will be honest I have played MMORPGS all my life but Everquest was out when I was just a little too young to grasp the game. I saw my dad and is friends play it when it did come out and still hear war stories about all nighters and tough fights and all that. I want to play the game and get into learning how to really badly but every time I get into the game it feels like I have no clue what am doing. I look at others play on youtube and I try to learn from them but I just want to have a mentor kind of guide me through the game a little until I really know what I am doing then I want to join a guild alongside my wife and really have fun with more content.

this game has always held a special place in my heart even though I never played it. I was still fascinated watching my dad play it growing up.
    Stymie likes this.
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

Not knowing what you are doing means you are doing it right. EQ is not a modern MMORPG. Modern MMOs spoon feed everything to you expecting a cash return like the cattle you are. EQ gives you nothing and expects you to make something of yourself. EQ is from a different era and just because it is a fantasy MMORPG does not mean it is the same Genre as other fantasy RPGs.

You need to bump into people and talk to them. Ask questions and ask for help. There are out of game resources like Allakazam and EQ traders which can help you in the same way and encyclopedia or a dictionary would.

The hardest part about EQ is the lack of commands especially for communication. You can get around this some by right clicking a window and setting it as say and then setting the default chat as say. Then you will see normal talking in that window and do normal talking in that window.

This is the most important command you need to know however...

/tt <text>

/tt is tell target. That command will let you target another player and /tt hello sending them a specific message. You can turn on tell windows in your options alt+O or filter to a seperate window. Pressing R automatically puts the persons name in to reply and tab or Shift+tab lets you cycle the last few people who sent you tells.

People do read say however, and you can talk to them, but tells work across the entire game and across servers. As long as you can communicate, you can find you way.
    Stymie likes this.
  3. Wittorf New Member

Thanks I am still doing the tutorial stuff and am lv 8 now I am having a lot of fun I like how some of it is set up I can see why it was so popular. Once I get out of the tutorial area I am looking forward to finding people to play with I even requested help looking for a guild in the guild forums.
    Stymie likes this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

If you have a Sub, try the new Thornblade or Mischief TLP. You will get more of the feeling your dad had when you watched him play. Will be a little different as their is no tutorial and no mercs. You can still download maps from Brewall.
    Stymie likes this.
  5. Elskidor Augur

Echoing that. A fresh progression server tries to replicate the game from where it launched in 1999 and slowly progress through every expansion ever released. It might be best to try and find a large casual guild and let them know you are brandnew too. These servers definitely have the population running wild at all levels, while a normal server almost everyone is level cap or solo boxing while leveling up.
    Stymie likes this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Wittorf, try the new TLPs. What classes do you want to play? We can give you recommendations of pairings with your wife.
    Stymie likes this.