Mischief, the land of the Macaroni Quest overlords..

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MischiefMan, May 28, 2021.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I thought the answer was 42?
    Aiona and Bardy McFly like this.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

It violates the "cannot control boxes from one PC" rule.
  3. Xanadas Augur

They should have just launched a "boxable" server like they did with Rizlona - but that would make too much sense.

If they had done that, many of the people using macaroni on the new servers wouldn't have had to pay $30-$300 for a hacked version of it that can bypass truebox checks and would have just played on a boxable server.
  4. SoandsoForumUser Augur

That doesn't exist.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

Of course it does. I'm not going to bother to look it up for your benefit, though.
  6. SoandsoForumUser Augur

You're misreading
    which has only ever meant multiple instances of EQ running on a single computer.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think that is cutting it a bit close and also why they have an issue with people using VM's to play. From what I understand they don't want you broadcasting commands from a single pc to multiple pc's to save keystrokes. And this is also the reason why they have checks that will disconnect you if the same keystrokes are made on multiple accounts from the same ip at once.
    Skuz and Niskin like this.
  8. SoandsoForumUser Augur

That's covered under the other rule
    We know they consider VMs to still be running on the same machine because they've said so and (sort of) block it. They've never taken action against against controlling a character on one computer from another that wasn't either violating the VM limits or multi key broadcasts that I've ever seen reported.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...disconnects-for-pressing-the-same-key.275330/

I think this thread talks about what they have done for key broadcasting on true box servers.
  10. SoandsoForumUser Augur

No one has said anything about the key press disconnecting feature, I'm not sure why it's being brought up repeatedly.
  11. Machen New Member

The original truebox faq specifically mentioned key broadcasting as forbidden.

But it didn't specify if that was only 1 key sent to multiple computers, or if 1 key sent to 1 computer was also against the rules. They've never clarified. I do know that many people have used things like mouse without borders pretty much from the beginning, and I've never heard of someone being suspended or even warned for doing so.
    SoandsoForumUser likes this.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Because you said this:

To this:

And its existence means they do care about it.
  13. SoandsoForumUser Augur

How can you not understand that controlling one computer from another and broadcasting the same key to multiple computers are different things?
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Because broadcasting the same key is a way of controlling one computer from another. We're splitting hairs here. We don't know exactly where the line is, only that Truebox exists and subverting its intent seems to bother them.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. SoandsoForumUser Augur

No they've been pretty clear every time, one key press/click should do one thing on one character. Each character should be running on it's own computer (VMs don't count). They've never enforced anything else.
  16. Hypatia New Member

Sure have a lot of Karens in this game. M.Y.O.B. please
  17. Machen New Member

For what it's worth, the VM rule predates Truebox, and will get you suspended or banned on non-truebox servers too. It's a company wide policy that dates back to Planetside and problems they had there.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Have they been pretty clear? Or have they been vague and we're deriving their intent from previous actions? What they've enforced has more to do with what they can automate without rampant false-positives.

They don't want you to Alt-Tab between clients on one PC on Truebox, but they don't care about you Alt-Tabbing between Remote Desktop windows on the same PC on Truebox? Logic seems suspect to me. If they didn't care about that then why do we have Truebox in the first place?

Yes, there is a slight difference, you still need a lot of PC's to host the clients if you are using Remote Desktop. Other than that, you are still getting the same experience as non-Truebox by doing that.
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Like you did when you posted in a thread telling other people what to do?
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is being brought up because of claims that broadcasting software is legal and that can easily be proven wrong by that disconnect feature.