What was the original scope of EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hythos, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Hythos Augur

I'm curious to know how EQ began, of the size of the team when they started, and if it may have been just a 'couple of guys' that put a few things together to see how it could evolve...

Has there ever been anything of design documents or concept-pitch either released or just talked about in-passing?
  2. Chaosflux Augur

Theres a dude on YouTube whos name i can't remember that did a pretty solid history video. Iirc he posts on the forums (usually TLP section), can't remember the name but I am sure if you search on YouTube you'll find a video.
  3. Asqelon Apprentice

This video sums it up quite nicely:
    Nennius and Coagagin like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There is of course the Original Design Doc of EverQuest that is kept at the company Head Office.

Click on the image to be taken to the article I found it on, notably Brad McQuaid said that this was actually the second EQ Design-Doc, the original which they may still have was simply titled "Online RPG".

[IMG]

However I don't think there is anything in the public domain that specifically answers your question directly, EDIT: Team started with Just Brad McQuaid & Steve Clover, by the time they approached launch they had 24 developers/coders - there is plenty of material around about the early days of EQ, the one linked in the image above is pretty good.

Another really good article is the following one:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/breaking...of-everquest-the-mmo-that-changed-everything/

There was also a documentary called "EverCracked" I have linked below:

And a special mention to Fading Illusion's "The EverQuest Show"
    Gyurika Godofwar, Nennius and Tarvas like this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think they must have had a sizeable team to do all they did.
  6. Zarkdon Augur

The little known origin of Everquest was a giant psychological experiment to probe just how miserable you can make people and they still have fun at it.

Fortunately, after the gathered all their data they removed looking at the book to meditate.
  7. OldRodKS Elder

Ah the good old days... sitting at the Nek zone line in East Commons, seeing nothing but the spell book on your screen, and someone would run up and emote "A griffon slashes YOU for 153 damage!"

The heart started beating faster and that book closed fast!
    Gyurika Godofwar and Stymie like this.