Please Bring Back Exp Bouns on Mischief

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Questioneer, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Questioneer New Member

Please Bring Back Exp Bonus on Mischief

It was the perfect leveling speed. I don't know what the boost % was, but it was perfect...

Please bring it back. I can not emphasize enough that finally EQ had the perfect Exp gain speed.

Please Devs, consider how happy everybody was. This is obviously designed as a "Fun" server and the Exp bouns contributed to that greatly. Keep the fun rolling please & turn the Exp buff back on permanently for this server.
    Alaskan and Yinla like this.
  2. Captain Video Augur

There are two servers with a permanent XP bonus for all players: Firiona Vie (also a free-trade ruleset server), and Test. You are free to play on either of those, if you choose.
  3. Nolrog Augur

Experience will be just fine. There's no need for a permanent 50% bonus. The server hasn't even been out a week yet and there are tons of level 50s. That says the XP is actually too fast.

I personally think that a new server should not get the XP bonus until a couple months have passed (or they should have released it this week instead of last week).
    Krizem, Duder and Skuz like this.
  4. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

My static group got to 50, then we rerolled a new group, each playing different characters. We even started on the opposite side of the world to experience something different together. We started play roughly one hour prior to the end of the bonus xp. We played through about four hours of regular xp gain. With xp potions, to us, it seemed to be just right. So, in my opinion, keep the xp rate as it is, and if people want it accelerated outside bonus xp periods, they can use xp potions.
    Gnothappening and Skuz like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

With classic having a month duration I think the XP boost was just coincidentally good luck to happen right after the servers got into the swing of things.

I too do not feel a full time boost is needed at all, the XP rate the server has matches what Mangler had to start with and that server did just fine, I think the majority of players will be 50 by the time Kunark unlocks having had very high early uptime on the availability of these two servers compared to ANY prior TLP.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm missing the bonus exp already. :(

Only made it to level 20 with the bonus, but I didn't have a huge amount of playtime over the weekend, unlike those who were on every waking hour. I have a lot more time to play during the week, so hoping to catch up a bit before Saturday.

Really wish they would do bonuses for 7 days so those who can't play at weekends get the benefit.
    Questioneer likes this.
  7. Zanarnar Augur

BETTER IDEA, and it fits more with the server theme. Random xp bonus/penalty rolled every day.

Lets call it -50% to +100% to make things interesting.
    Punchu, Mepps and Yinla like this.
  8. samenye Lorekeeper

Cute idea but I think the server might as well have a "down" next to its name whenever it's in penalty mode :)
  9. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Once you get used to the 50% bonus exp rate, it won't feel fun or fast or different anymore. Random exp bonus would definitely be on theme, though.
    Celestian, Yinla, Pelrond and 9 others like this.
  10. AlexanderMischief New Member

It would if there was a corresponding chance for an exp penalty!
  11. ntellect Augur

More XP bonuses outside of the normal holiday ones would definitely be appreciated and fun
    Nykara2 and Questioneer like this.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Talk is cheap!
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Just spit balling here, but out of curiosity, how hard-coded are XP rates? I've seen support for the idea of dynamic XP rates that adjust based on players distribution (eg emptier zones yielding better XP rates, helping to spread out the population/get people grinding in lesser used zones) but I wonder if that's hampered more by code or by executive decision.
  14. Hypatia New Member

The experience is just fine without the bonus. Please leave everything the way it is. This server is perfect in everyway!
    OldRodKS likes this.
  15. raider New Member

hampered by the amount of people that would find a way to exploit the machinic.
  16. Karanthal Augur

We have non-static bonus xp zones (hot zones) although I'm guessing that's a manual tweak to the ZEM during patching. Dynamic changing xp would be quite nice maybe the first 1k kills a zone yield a bonus. Maybe staying in one place too long yields some negative effects, xp, regen, shrink/grow or similar might be in keeping with the mischief theme.
  17. Captain Video Augur

On Live servers there are rotating "hotzones" for various level groups up to 80, which grant bonus XP for all kills in those zones. In theory, any zone can be tagged as a hotzone, but they've been using the same sets of zones for several years now. The rotation changes each time a server is rebooted. An equivalent mechanic could be implemented on the new TLPs, I would surmise. If you're talking about something more dynamic than that, like changing a bonus rate based on zone population, that could raise server performance issues.
  18. a100ftdown New Member

Or let's do away with XP all together, everyone starts max level. And then it's random race/class every time you log on. MISCHIEF BIZNITCHES!
  19. Questioneer New Member

I disagree, getting 2-4 levels in 3 hours (which is max amount of time a lot of us casual people can play) is fulfilling and accomplishing. Level gains are accomplishing and fun.

Playing for 3 hours and barely or not even getting 1 level is a quick way to burnout casuals.

It'd be nice to advance in this game and have to dedicate 8-16 hours a day to feel accomplished. Despite no-lifers opinion, there's a ton of new players that will never reach 50-60 in Everquest because the grind is terribly slow. I played with a ton of new players this round. This last weekend was the perfect exp rate... Not one single person was complaining about it.

Plus there's a ton of people who didn't get to play this weekend due to family stuff or whatever and we got left wayyyy behind.

Without the Exp bonus, EQ is a game where, if you have a life, you pretty much can't play this game. At least with the bonus I could login and play for 1 hour and have accomplished progression...

If people don't want the bonus, then let the opt out and those of us who do want the bonus, let us get the bonus = win/win. I guarantee all of those no-bonus people here will take that bonus....

You're correct here in a way that you didn't intend, it doesn't feel fun getting 50% less experience right now...

Just my opinion and if the entire player base (not just the no-lifers) frequented these forums then we'd have a legitimate debate but undoubtedly an overwhelming number of people in favor of bringing the bonus back.

Put a pop-up box on character login and let people vote on it:

"Do you want Double Exp on this server?"

Yes
    No

I guess this will never happen because at the end of the day you guys gotta sell experience potions... sigh...
  20. Triconix Augur

Then maybe deciding on playing on a super accelerated content unlock server was a bad idea for the casual players in the first place? The issue isn't the exp rate, the issue is the user deciding to play on a server with a ruleset that doesn't meet their needs.

You don't need 8-16 hours a day to attain everything you need, especially in classic. The exp rates are already through the roof compared to what they used to be.

If people want a boosted exp server, start advocating one in the future. Don't start advocating for devs to change the server ruleset suddenly a week after go-live just because you enjoyed the convenient exp bonus that arrived 3 days into the server's life (which was definitely on purpose seeing how classic is 4 weeks long).