Wine/Linux Support

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by coffeeislife, May 24, 2021.

1. coffeeislife New Member

Hi, love the game, but the majority of my machines are linux boxes, and I used to play EQ on them just fine. Ever since the changes to detecting bots were made (at some point last year irc), running the game in wine would boot you from it after a few seconds. Is there any chance the dev team could consider maybe looking into detecting wine as a legitimate way to play the game?
  2. Nopet New Member

I'm sure I've played it without issues in the last 6-9 months. I don't currently have it installed, but I'll see about getting it running at the end of the week when it slows down at work. I know there was a patch in 2019 that broke everything. But the fix for that was in the source within a few weeks, and in the major distribution channels withing 4-6 months.
  3. coffeeislife New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to report I was completely wrong. I remember my wine install starting to kick me out around the time of Aradune's launch I think. Seeing the protondb thread for it also made it appear like it's still happening. I tried running it in proton tonight, no luck, same thing. Running in straight up wine works though! Just used the live lutris script, no issues apart from the black ground texture issue, which I fixed by patching the dxvk source. Thank you! Works better than in windows now!
    Aenvar and MasterMagnus like this.
  4. Rosty New Member

Glad to hear you got it working. Any chance you could expand on what you mean by "patching the dxvk source"? I'd like to fix the black ground texture issue too.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

There's probably a DirectX to Vulkan translation module that was out of date and was causing texture issues. Specifics will matter by distro though, unless it's a universal Wine thing. Hopefully the OP will elaborate. Might be something you could dig up with some searching.
  6. lordbob New Member

I've switched to Linux years ago and want to return to EQ and reactivate all my accounts can I play EQ on Linux ?
  7. Silver-Crow Augur

check out https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/comments/urb90b/everquest_live_on_linux_guide_2022/
    I got it working on debian by pretty much doing what it says.

the only thing that didn't work very well for me was the start.bat, but actually you don't need that, if you look in the game options in lutris there's actually a field where you can add the patchme parameter. After that just load lutris, then click the icon and your golden.

Cheers.
  8. lordbob New Member

so in game options > executable i have:
    /home/myCompName/Games/everquest/drive_c/users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/start.bat

should i replace with start.bat with launchpad.exe? that throws an error.
  9. Silver-Crow Augur

I had START eqgame.exe
    and then on the options i had patchme