Patch Issue: Other's Pet's Hits Filter

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lodestar, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Rogean Lorekeeper

This has become a bit of an annoyance now with no way to filter several "My" things from "Others", unless you want to disable the Others (Which I'd rather not do, for parsing).

Spell Criticals (particularly Heals) - I can't filter my own Critical heals without everyone else's critical heals going to the same window.
    NPC Rampage/Flurry - I can't filter the NPC hitting me with a Rampage/Flurry without also seeing the NPC hitting every other person with Rampage/Flurry.

The way it was before was much better. Could we either revert it, or get some of these their own "My/Other" splits?

Thanks
    Duder and Skuz like this.
  2. NinjutsuMMO Augur

very annoying... cause not everyone uses 3rd party programs to look back at data and its nice to see in game live data via windows... cant see anything with others hits mixed in with mine cause its so much it just spams by so fast...

and this has been happening for a couple months and no gm has acknowledged it ?
    last 2 patches didn't even address this issue..
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

The rampage thing is so very distracting for me. I have two chat windows with multiple tabs. While kicking but, my #1 chat window normally just shows the damage I do (or misses), and the damage I take (or misses). When I see red text out of the corner of my eye, that means I'm taking damage and I back up.

But now, it's includes pets taking rampage damage which is OFTEN. When I see the rampage colors fly by, and I back up, often out of my own melee range, thereby reducing my DPS in a burn.

It's not the end of the world, but it was better before.
    Duder, Skuz and tanith like this.
  4. Angahran Augur

Now, if Pet Spell Damage could be filtered to 'Direct Damage (Pets)' that would be great :)
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Angahran Augur

Any chance of getting some friendly dev to post a complete list of all the different message 'types' ?

Would be great if we could select a color and location for each individual message, not arbitrary groups.

e.g.
    If I want a chat window that only contains NPC conversations (and please for the love of all that's holy can someone fix the 'NPC response showing BEFORE PC trigger phrase bug?)' that should be possible.

If I want anything to do with MY pet in one window and anyone else's pet in a different window, why not ?

All these filters are client side so it's not going to impact the servers.
    Skuz and Tweakfour17 like this.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

Anything to do with me (my crits, my dmg, my misses, my aura etc) should be filter able individually into a single window, same with pets, anything that is chat generated by a player (/say, /gu, /RS, /fs, /e etc) should be filter able to a single window. Mob /say and player /say need to be split and mob say needs to be able to be filtered to combat spam along with everyone else's combat spam.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Ratalthor Developer

The change made to the filters is working as intended, so I am moving this thread to the Veteran's Lounge. We are looking into ways of improving chat and chat filters more.
    Szilent likes this.
  8. Zynt Augur

Cause EQ runs on the, "If it ain't broke, break it," philosophy.
    Duder likes this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I really disliked the way the patch changed so many of the filters and how it lumped many things together.

It meant filtering a bunch of things out of my personal combat window I had there to avoid being spammed by pet damage I never used to see using my old filters.

Was this done to reduce lag?
    If so did it make any difference at all?
    If not I can't see another reason for it being justified myself.
    Strumph and minimind like this.
  10. JumjumJunky New Member

"Yes sir, we removed the wheels from the airplane."
    "But why?"
    "Well airplanes fly, and thus don't need wheels. We fixed it, it's better now."
    "..."
    Strumph likes this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

Are you willing to describe why the change was made. If this is "the way it is" from here on out, I could be placated in my frustrations if I just understood "the why".
    Strumph, Stymie and Duder like this.
  12. Rogean Lorekeeper

You're telling me it's intentional that I have no way to separate ME being attacked from OTHERS being attacked? Because that's how it is right now with Rampage and Flurry. If I want to move those hits to be more visible, I have to see *everyone* that get's hit with those attacks in the same window.

I highly doubt that was the original intention...
    Strumph and Duder like this.
  13. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Rather than complain about it is currently... let's put the collective heads together and give them ideas about what filters would be beneficial?

All Rata is saying is that it isn't a bug. and they're looking to improve more filters... so let's provide the team with ideas of filters that would be useful?
    Strumph likes this.
  14. Duder Augur

They weren't broken, the change was not needed. "Working as intended" is effectively saying we intentionally broke functional filters.
    Bigstomp, Skuz, Strumph and 2 others like this.
  15. Angahran Augur

So the intention was to annoy people and fill their chat windows with unwanted spam ?

And if it was intended why wasn't this change detailed in any patch message ?

More ? You consider this change an improvement ? /boggle!
    Skuz, Strumph and Duder like this.
  16. Angahran Augur

Allow every type of chat message to be individually colored and filtered.

Take the 'other' filter group out behind the barn and shoot it, burn the body and spread the ashes on flowing water!

If someone want's to see their pet's messages in one window and everyone else's pet messages in another window then let them.

Also, having the options to filter on/off/screen only/logfile only would be useful.

and how about finally fixing the bug where you see an NPC's response BEFORE the trigger phrase?
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

For me, at the bare minimum, you should be able to set the chat filters so that you can have a window with just your messages (melee, spells, heals, pets, criticals) and no one else's. Even if you have show everything on.

Pretty sure this has always been available to us until this last change. And seems to me at least, a pretty core concept for player enjoyment ... being able to see your own stuff without others in-between.

I'm not sure why the thinking on this has changed at the developer level. Maybe they falsely assume everyone uses parsers with overlays these days. [spoiler: they don't]

I think there are other things they can add/change for greater functionality in filters. But I think it's important to stay on message that we want to be able to separate everything self from others and get that fixed first.
    Metanis, Skuz, Strumph and 1 other person like this.
  18. Stymie Pendragon

I agree with this statement.

My question is why can't we disable whatever we don't want to see from displaying altogether, and have the information just go to the log file instead? Why do we need to create a chat window to throw the junk in just to minimize it?
    Skuz, Strumph and Angahran like this.
  19. zleski Augur

All of my actions need to be associated with me, first and foremost. The "My heals" filter need to be a superset of my non-critical heals and my critical heals. Or, we need further filters to break down critical actions performed by me to separate from everyone else.
    Tweakfour17, Skuz, Szilent and 4 others like this.
  20. Chaffe Journeyman

Working as intended. The joke that will not die.
    Metanis, Strumph and Duder like this.