The state of monks causes a lot of problems for every other melee class in the game.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by WokeCat, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wade_watts Augur

This is just whining. For real, go back to play on P99 if you love it there or perhaps go play on Mangler or Aradune if your favorite class better fits your personal belief of how competitive they should be.

It's EQ TLP. Very rarely do you need FD on pulls anymore because everyone is so OP. You have to spend a bit more DKP to buy weapons that monks might not need? Let me hire a bard to play a sad tune for you. We aren't replaying classic everquest here, we are re-experiencing a new progression server that comes with modern changes to classes and quality of life.

You folks come to the forums continually asking to nerf other classes so that your class will shine a bit more by comparison - just play what you want, play well, and you will find groups and homes in guilds. If your goal is to be top DPS - don't play a class that doesn't do top DPS and stop trying to nerf other classes because your fragile feelings of balance are offended.
  2. TheTone Elder

Maybe I was in some weird bizarro world on Mangler and Aradune, but monks aren't that crazy good...and by Luclin, they're almost second-tier DPS.

They are pretty godly until Velious, then they come back down to earth. We had rogues mixed in with monk DPS on almost every raid encounter in Velious.

By Luclin, monks are firmly on the descent from godliness.. Rangers win <period> when using discs, Wizards and Necros are winning most parses otherwise.

In the group game, depending on how you're pulling and whatnot, monks still aren't that amazing. In a group I was in on Aradune in GE, my necro parsed about 10% higher overall DPS over the course of an hour than our monk (who wasn't pulling). When we had 3+ mobs in camp, I could just stack DoTs galore on them.
  3. Master Kahleem Augur

STOP, ASKING, FOR, NERFS.

DarkPaw are NOT capable of properly balancing anything. Just look what they did to Jboots, Enchanters, blah blah blah.

They will DESTROY monks, and they're one of the most fun classes to play.

How about advocating for BUFFS to classes that are terrible sub-70??? Like bards, rogues, warriors, rangers, etc?

Warriors: They need more aggro generation sub-70/pre-epic. Despite EQ being the "first" MMO with real hate mechanics, they're also the most poorly designed. Most other MMOs/games have great hate management systems where it's not all based on gear.

Rogues: They need either more utility, or more raw damage bonus when attacking from behind.

Bards: They're song-bots until Luclin/PoP.

Rangers: Give them some kind of ranged damage bonus so they can use their bows prior to Luclin/PoP and actually be good damage???

Blah blah blah
    wade_watts likes this.
  4. Lejaun Augur

Man, I hate parsers. Such a useful tool, but too often just used to wave your flag around. Some who parse very well aren't even good raiders (getting hit by avoidable AOEs, AFK for half the raid, etc). They look good on the parses, but they skip out on the basic EQ raiding skills.
    Ozon and wade_watts like this.
  5. jiri_ Augur

I dunno. If someone manages to parse in the top 10% in a full raid despite being AFK for half the boss, I'd say they're either grossly overpowered or sneakily a better player than people realize.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Lejaun Augur

Note, I said AFK for half the raid, not half the boss battle. IE they go all out on the boss and look good because of the parse.
  7. jiri_ Augur

Honestly, I'd put up with a guy who forgets to send tells for buffs until late and gets hit by the AEs every time if he's still parsing top-5 on the bosses we're there to kill. The job isn't to be on time asking for Strength of Tunare; it's to down the boss.
  8. WokeCat Augur

Let me guess, you're playing a Monk.
  9. WokeCat Augur

It's a lot easier to bring Monks down to everyone's level.

How exactly are you going to fix other melees? Are you going to go back in time and buff every single melee weapon that dropped in classic, kunark, velious etc.? Are you going to adjust every single spell so that casters can be competitive with melees?

Monks in classic should have classic fists, Monks in Kunark and Velious should be using Kunark and Velious weapons just like everyone else.

Yeah, playing an overpowered class does tend to feel really good. This is where the term "Flavor of the Month" comes from. Most companies don't allow gross imbalance to go on for extended periods of time.
  10. wade_watts Augur

No, I haven't played a monk in any of the past 3 TLP's, I'm just not a whiner that want's to nerf other classes because my class isn't as good in some way.
  11. WokeCat Augur

Monk fists make itemization and every other melee class completely irrelevant. I would literally sacrifice the entire class into nothingness if it meant that weapons from Classic, Kunark, and Velious had meaning, and other classes could now play the game without being a huge burden to their group.

Why would any Ranger or Rogue get excited about looting a weapon in Classic, Kunark or Velious? Like congratulations Mr. Ranger on getting that 14/24 Epic, you can now almost do half as much damage as that Monk who is using nothing. But it's okay, even though you deal less damage, you are a much better puller and tank than a Monk, so it's balanced out.
  12. Triconix Augur

The gross imbalance is fixed...in later expansions. This is how DPG has and will continue to fix class imbalance. You want more balance? Play further into the game. If you don't want to, then too bad, deal with it.

This is part of playing a TLP. You see the cyclical nature of class dominance, the periods where they rise to the top or sink below other classes. You're not going to get steady balance in each expansion because of the natural accumulative nature of EQs balance design. Things are always built on top of eachother and if you "fix" something without knowing, acknowledging, and accounting for the future state of the game, you could seriously break something. So while you're all happy that rogues may be back to being top dogs again in classic, they could be seriously overtuned and broken 5 expansions down the road and the TLPs on those expansions suffer. All you did was accomplish a selfish want to throw a nerf bat for your self benefit.
  13. wade_watts Augur

14. WokeCat Augur

So it's fixed during a time period where most people have zero interest in playing on a TLP? If people love later expansions so much then why is everyone from Aradune hopping ship to the new server?
  15. Triconix Augur

Everyone? That's a bit of a hyperbole. I know all my friends aren't so surely not everybody is hopping to that cesspool.

Class balance was fixed as it came up in live. If you don't like that answer, Too f---ing bad. Devs prioritize live server class balance over TLP. We have years and years of history to back that up. If something has a chance to break live servers, it's not going to get fixed.

And last I checked, many people love playing Velious-POP where monks are not OP.
  16. Lejaun Augur

Because everyone thinks that the next TLP server is where they become the big dog. They'll level up the fastest, make the most krono, be in the best guild, and so on.

Then, next TLP they will jump ship again because they are going to be the big dog this time, for real !

It's also the era where it is easiest to find groups, and raids are the most basic without many mechanics needed to learn / execute on. Much easier to be a big player when the strategy is mostly tank and spank.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  17. Gnothappening Augur

Yes, monks are overpowered. Yes, I would love it if they were a little more balanced. That being said, I really don't want DBG/DPG to screw with core mechanics any more if I can help it.
  18. WokeCat Augur

And this has been a massive, and I mean massive problem for this company.

https://www.enadglobal7.com/wp-cont...entation-Dec-2020-Acquires-Daybreak-Games.pdf

Most of this company's revenue literally comes from TLPs. Not from EverQuest 2 or EverQuest Live, but TLPs. The game should be balanced around it's number one money-maker, not a version of the game that will likely never attract new players, or retain the ones that it has.
  19. Triconix Augur

Nonsense. Nothing in that separates live vs TLP. You're just throwing something bovine around and hoping it sticks.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

People like you are why enchanter stuns are all on the same timer now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.