Charmable Mobs in Raids

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Primadonna, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Primadonna Knights of Infinity, FV

Any other enchanters here who wish that charmable mobs in raids were part of an essential strategy to fighting a raid boss? I loved that we got some thought in the raids of ToV with the Bane damage in ToFS, and some of the mezzing in Kael Part 1. Those are fantastic examples of adding some variety and spice to the encounters. But I'd love to be required to charm a mob that did bane damage to the boss or we had to charm mobs with gigantic health pools and AoE that we could use to kill other waves of mobs. Just something to keep us on our toes, with some risk, but couldn't just be handled by adding more tanks to the raid to CC.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

So like Zun`Muram Tkarish Zyk in Txevu, or Overlord Mata Muram in Anguish, or Mindshear Avatar in Korafax, or...

Well.. let's just say it isn't an alien or new concept. Diverse mechanics may be a bit lacking since DBG/DPG took over from SOE, but this has been a thing. I wouldn't want to see it on every encounter. Adds? they have multiple ways of being handled. Requiring charm to be successful can have other issues. Not that I'm saying they shouldn't ever bring it back into play, just that it's more than fine to have it limited and spread out.
    RPoo likes this.
  3. Mikana Augur

Arx Mentis #4 was another good example of this - adds that could be charmed for extra dps, but died a short while after being charmed, so we could then go find another add. dps and cc in one :)
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Unfortunately, in today's game it can be difficult for guilds to provide a full range of classes on raids. If mobs would need to be charmed on a raid, it would be difficult if it required several enchanters. If bards or necromancers would serve, that would be acceptable, but fielding more than 1 or 2 enchanters can sometimes be difficult.

Part of the reason that druid and shaman healing has been boosted over time is so they can cover some of the cleric needs.

One of our guild problems is that if a raid calls for many paladins or rangers, we are set. But many enchanters? Not so much.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Charm on raids is basically ghetto mez at this point. When charmed raid mobs put out 10-12k dps.
    Sancus and RPoo like this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

We have had some charmable mobs in recent expansions which were needed for achievements, TBL and EOK are the two which spring to mind.
    RPoo likes this.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

The giants in Allashi die slowly while charmed. Charming them is both CC and DPS.
    RPoo likes this.
  8. Primadonna Knights of Infinity, FV

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who posted here and the developers who listened to us. As an enchanter, I've really enjoyed the mez and charm mechanics of the Claws of Veeshan expansion raids! It's really brought a lot of fun into being an enchanter and not just a nuke monster all the time. It's a hard balance for us sometimes to decide between when we should CC and when we should just nuke stuff down like on Sontalak, but I think the Devs always have a hard time with that just because of the nature of players to find the path of least resistance for them to get to victory and it sometimes bypasses game mechanics.

But I just wanted to say thank you for the hard work and know you are appreciated!
  9. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Stop making enchanters useful they take up necro raid spots!
  10. Axel Furry Hats OP

/s
    More CC would be nice. Kinda sucks as a bard I get 1700 utility abilities that are all basically moot since 1 enchanter can do all the CC for all 9 COV events.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  11. Zarkdon Augur

But you sing such beautiful war marches!
  12. Primadonna Knights of Infinity, FV

I think Bards are way better at doing the charm on the adds during the crusaders event. That quick charm that insta-breaks was MADE for bards.
  13. Strawberry Augur

The signet dropper in Txevu basically required you to use charm, the raid was just lame as a result.