Daybreak grants all of its employees a paid ‘unplug day’

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Svann2, May 17, 2021.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

Issk, Ozon, MasterMagnus and 2 others like this.
  2. radclifc Journeyman

I hope the new leadership keeps this trend up. Good stuff!
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

This is great, in conjunction with increased hiring to distribute the load. Let's hope they get those new folks they say they want in and get them trained. That would probably be the best news for everyone working at Daybreak.

By itself, it's more of a PR stunt. If you still have to do the same work in 249 days rather than 250, overall mental health isn't really improved.
    Coagagin likes this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I wonder if the directive came from EG7?

It would be cool if Swedish (Nordic) values will play a role in the company's culture.
  5. Zarkdon Augur

Yes! A good dose of Nordic culture to add more raiding and plundering! Loot for everyone!

And a flying longboat mount.
    Doranur_Aleguzzler likes this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Cool. A chance to ruin their lands the way we've ruined ours. :)
    Herf and Metanis like this.
  7. Metanis Bad Company

I recently had cause to Google map the Daybreak HQ in San Diego. The light bulb lit up when I realized there is a microbrewery within crawling distance...
    Svann2 and Herf like this.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Disagree. You have to get .4% more work done each day, to get a paid day off. COMPLETELY OFF. I.e., if you're on call, you're not that day.

What's an extra .4% of an 8 hour work day? Like, a minute? LOL
  9. Sobmre Augur

this is just LOL, if they want to really help they would have just given them more pay. because when they get back from the bs day off they will have to double stress to catch up from the lost day of work.
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We get...regular paid time off and stuff. I was just happy to get a day - didn't realize we were making hay out of it on social.
  11. Zarkdon Augur

By that logic we should cancel all paid holidays and vacations.

We should also cancel weekends so our workload is more spread out.

Or we can realize that having an extra day at home helps clear your mind and focus on the task at hand. Productivity goes up when people have some personal time.
    Skuz, Tatanka and MasterMagnus like this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's nothing but a good thing.

If it's just one time, well, great to give them a day.

If this is an attitude change at the studio it is really good!

Studies have shown, especially for software developers. Once your basic needs are met (food, shelter, clothing), and a little extra for your hobby/entertainment/vice. More money is an extremely poor motivator.

Most developer types are more motivated by some acknowledgement, agency in development goals and choice of ultimate work product.
    Accipiter and Elyssanda like this.
  13. Zarkdon Augur

If the developers could somehow make my character have max tradeskills and an artisans prize accidently I would grant them the coveted Zarkdon Lifetime Achievement award.

It's very prestigious, it hasn't ever been awarded. You could be the first!
    Skuz and Mepps like this.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Damn, how do you go through life with that much negativity? Most employees prefer a day off rather than the equivalent in pay. But you know that, right?
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Most people don't understand that, including a lot of executives.
    Skuz, Herf and MasterMagnus like this.
  16. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Can we get their home addresses so we can mail our ideas and complaints through the USP when they are unplugged?
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

You blew your argument with your hyperbole. Business executives aren't a bunch of morons, they simply don't (on the whole) understand software development. I know a lot of execs in the gaming industry and there are very few idiots.

For the record, I pay men and women the same wage. :)
    Skuz and MasterMagnus like this.
  18. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I maintain my belief about business executives, I've worked for a few, and heard about a lot more.

But I dig what you're laying down.

I wish I lived in a world were people knew the names of people like you, rather than Martin Shkreli, for example.

More power to ya man.
  19. Herf Augur

It's a special kind of day, seriously. One where a dev can honestly be comfortable not having to answer pages, calls from the office, for emergencies, etc. On other vacation, holidays, etc. there's always that possibility one might get a call, particularly in the entertainment industry.

And hey, it's a free day off, nothing wrong with that :)
    Skuz likes this.
  20. zleski Augur

During COVID, my employer granted every one of our 15,000+ associates an extra day off each quarter to "recharge." At a time when businesses were contracting, everyone was expecting the news about PTO to be negative, but instead, it was an extra day that we all activate Breather Rk. III.

This is a good thing, and more PTO is more good. Kudos to Daybreak staff and to leadership for this wise decision.
    Skuz likes this.