Not looking forward to the inevitable lag fest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, May 13, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It's not an internal conflict when EG7 is the owner and top-level decisionmaker. They will determine the level of investment (resources). Hate to break it to you but EverQuest doesn't exist in a vacuum or bubble.

You may want to start preparing yourself mentally to accept that EQ1 won't be around forever.
  2. Tappin Augur

I’m not interested in DP’s drama. If someone makes a business decision, then implement it. Stop ignoring people and pretend it doesn’t exist.
    Leerah likes this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You had the choice between the red pill and the blue pill. The red pill reveals that someone can do whatever they want to EQ1 but that you yourself can leave EQ1. The blue pill keeps you in you in the game, miraculously lag-free, forever. You chose the blue pill.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

Again. Why do you think it is caused by TLP?
  5. Tappin Augur

It appears to be caused by increased network/server load not directly TLP. But, TLP season translates into more people playing and more network/server related issues. There’s clearly a correlation between and little evidence to suggest that it’s not the case. Just look what happened last year when Kunark was launched...

Outside those who work for DP, there’s no way to say TLP directly caused the issue, but just try and convince the masses it does not.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I don't have any inside knowledge on EQ1's network structure, but if all the servers are setup up as virtual servers on the same physical hardware, wouldn't one server(like a new TLP) under heavy load not affect the others? It would also mean AB is not affected, as it is hosted on physically separate hardware.
    Leerah likes this.
  7. KrakenReality Augur

Last year, they made some changes after Aradune’s launch that caused one server to make the rest of the architecture unstable. JChan posted about it.
    Leerah likes this.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ahh. Ok I see. You arent saying TLP is directly causing issues, but the fact that EQ has more population in general is the root cause. Then the people threatening to leave could actually be the solution. Less customers, less lag./s
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

If only those who repeatedly threaten could be encouraged to follow through.
    Metanis likes this.
  10. minimind The Village Idiot

A week or two ago, there was a nice, lively discussion about how certain guilds have adopted certain lag-inducing tactics to break intended raid mechanics and get easier loot.

We don't do that on my raid. We kill Sontalak in 40 minutes by focusing the burn on the adds as they come and chip away on Sontalak when there are no adds. The only problem is that he'll walk for no reason and leash every other kill. No biggie... we just kill him more.
  11. Tappin Augur

I pay for this game just like the majority of everyone else that post here. I do enjoy it still, and not interested seeing it's demise. I am just complaining about issue that I am having (and clearly others are having). I am not suggesting anyone leave or quit for any reason. I am not sure where that attituding is coming from.

I also not saying that I am 100% correct, but my opinions are based on data that I have either lived through or was varifiable. We shall see if my conjecture is valid or not over the next few months.
  12. Tappin Augur

Don't the mobs self destruct every 7%? I believe the strategy to beat this raid by burning came from GM or someone from DP during beta. I don't think burning this event is cheating. Not every guild has enough DPS to complete this event this way.

If they are doing something else beside burning, then that's a different story.
  13. Annastasya Augur

The lag in this game is becoming CRIPPLING. It's difficult to play at all during raids. It's certainly NOT FUN.
    Metanis likes this.
  14. minimind The Village Idiot

It was my understanding that they don't begin exploding until Sontalak is below 10% at some point.

Here's the thread I was talking about: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/sontalak-adds-exploding-randomly.274614/
    Jumbur likes this.
  15. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

You aren't understanding the full event.

Two types of drakes ... two "methods" of exploding. One type explodes after Sontalak drops a certain percent after it spawns. One type explodes at a set percentage of Sontalak's health.

The lag can "help" in that the first type of drakes spawn but don't move until Sontalak drops enough to explode them (I do believe that sometimes lag can be so bad that they never spawn as it feels like some of our laggiest runs have fewer drakes). But the other type still explodes at the specific percentage and making sure you can handle that is the rough part.

As a guild who can take the drakes exploding, we hope the lag slows the aura more than anything. But we've walked down Sontalak down, killing all drakes multiple times in our clears. It just makes a silly event ridiculous when you have to do that.

As much as lag helps on Sontalak, it really hurts on Aaryonar.
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I think you are right.

I can't like this, because Skuz did.
    Tucoh likes this.
  17. Metanis Bad Company

Raids last night were just a bit laggy but not worse than normal on Luclin. It certainly appears the new TLP servers had little or no impact. So I will stand corrected and appreciate whatever steps the Devs took to make the launch so smooth.

Now before I slobber all over them I still wish the Devs would fix the targeting lag. On Zlandicar last night I would hit my button to target nearest NPC (that being Zland himself) and then hit my button to /assist him in order to see which tank had picked him up and that process still takes 2 or 3 seconds when it used to be nearly instant. It's maddingly irritating as a cleric.
    Conq likes this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

Skuz is trying to unlock a hidden achievement that comes at 1 million likes given.
  19. Leerah Augur

I find it hard to believe that the combined server populations are higher now than in 2002. Meanwhile, computational power has evolved 20 years. What am I saying? There's NO excuse for them to be choking bandwidth now.
    Metanis likes this.