Monk race question

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Quik, May 10, 2021.

1. Quik Augur

So my question is going to irritate people because I know people say race doesn't matter. I do agree with this on most things but here goes...

Mainly I want to know if you are min/maxing, which race wins out? I know Iksar get regen and AC bonus and they no longer have an xp penalty from when I played last. Is there a reason to play a human monk other then aesthetics or faction? Does the faction make a big enough difference? I read the monk epic might be easier for a human, but can't I just sneak when needed?

Also, off the subject, but I am going to box this monk with a Druid on Aradune and I was wondering...When zerkers are released how do they duo with Druids? Are monks still better or can arguments be made for the zerker?
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Belly Buttons > Tails
    SmellyFinger and code-zero like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Far easier to start as Human then race-change to Iksar post-epic 1.0
    (Drakkins aren't an option until TSS, Frogloks not until CoTF)

Druids are a very decent duo with a caster/pet class like Mage or Necro, and later on Beastlord.
    (if you are a well-skilled boxer Enchanter is also a very strong option but more demanding of attention)

If you are wanting to use a Monk or Berserker at all then a Shaman is a much better choice - by a long way.
  4. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Unless they've changed something recently with the monk epic you can easily transfer the items for the sash and headband quests over to a level 1 human to do the turn ins.
  5. Astral64 Augur

Iksar is the only answer.
    Thrillho, Ozon, Ssdar and 3 others like this.
  6. MischiefMaker New Member

If you are minmaxing and the class can be iksar, iksar is the answer, for all classes, including monk.
    Ozon likes this.
  7. Herf Augur

Iksar > all.
    It's all about the tail.
    Ozon likes this.
  8. Filter Augur

I personally like the iksar monk and the min/max aspect of that points you to the iksar. Zerker or monk to duo with your druid, I would go with the monk. They tank better and can pull singles so you don't have to worry about adds. Zerkers are great dps but they need to raid geared to tank much.

Iksar monk all day!
  9. Cicelee Augur

Excellent question. In the case with monks, race does matter. Essentially there are five options that will maximize your monk and play-

1. Human blonde female
    2. Human dark haired female
    3. Human red head female
    4. Human male w/o facial hair
    5. Human male w/facial hair

You're welcome. Enjoy your maximum entertainment monk!
    SmellyFinger and Skuz like this.
  10. jiri_ Augur

Note: this list is only operative for the old graphics. Do not pick the blonde human female with the Luclin graphics and expect similar performance!
    Herf likes this.
  11. Haze Journeyman

Human Eyepatch Chad >

Have you seen that gorgeous mane and precisely-trimmed beard? gtfoh with ugly reptiles. Overrated race.
  12. Senu Journeyman

On the old days the difference was that Iksar gets 6ac, better starting swimming skill and a bit of regen as well as a tail attack.

Human's get a little bit better natural haste with H2H weapons. Drakkin gets a breath weapon and I am not sure if they get the same slight natural haste advantage as humans.

But later in the game the differences are negligible. How well you play your toon and are smart to get the right clickies etc is what really matters.
    SmellyFinger likes this.
  13. Herf Augur

Humans can't see in the dark, Iksar can.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Night blindness is not really a thing anymore. It used to be pretty awful. I remember humans just standing around.

"What are you doing?"
    "Waiting for daytime."

OK, maybe not that bad but damn near.
  15. RyeToast New Member

The very first time I logged in to beta as a Human Monk it was night. I thought my pc was broken. The monitor was pitch black i kid you not. BTW, newbs at that time dropped in to Freeport newb killing fields outside the city. I died and died and died and then the sun rose.
    Accipiter likes this.