Fair bazaar prices for leveling gear?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Jumbur, May 7, 2021.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Sometimes when I fool around in House of Thule(and later) I come across attunable items that would benefit a leveling newbie. And I was thinking, what is a fair price for such items?

Keep in mind Im thinking specifically of newbies who are trying to progress through expansions and who can't afford the insane twink-prices, and who are not racing through the levels by getting a powerlevel. The items in question, are stuff that will only last 1 expansion.

What would you guys pay for leveling gear? Should I just use tribute-values as a guideline for prices?

The reason I ask here, is that newbies who level up, rarely loot stuff that has bazaar-value, and is is therefore limited by vendor junk when earning plat. So it is fairly server independent what they can afford...

The aim is not to give stuff away, I want to encourage a healthy low-level market for live-servers. :)
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

I throw stuff on an alt and give it away to people who are out there putting in the work. I don't advertise and wont give it if just asked. I offer it to new players who are active and friendly in general chat, asking questions and trying to improve or out and about trying to XP and clearly not an experienced box army.

Granted, I don't have much patience for the baz, so I am not going to bother selling too much of this stuff. It's not like there are a bunch of new people out there buying this stuff up everyday except to list it higher, it seems.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I have always wondered about that... I have no idea how many true newbies there are out there, but I doubt there is a lively twink-market for the 85-105 range that bazaar players invest any effort in.
    Rich returnees(the market for twink-prices) are most likely rushing through levels to catch up, rather than enjoying the 85-105 expansions. My guess is that most gear in the 85-105 range at twink prices isn't selling at all, and that true newbies have given up on the bazaar...
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I sell the 85 to 100 range quite well in baz. Hard to keep in stock really.

But I don't charge what the gougers are charging. So maybe it is them buying it to try and resale higher.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I usually price that stuff at about 5kpp.

That might seem high, but I won't go lower, cause I know the re-sellers will just snap it up (heck, they might be who buys from me now, who knows), and I don't play enough to bother spending time on General or looking for peeps to give it to.

And to put it in perspective, 5kpp is about 25 blue diamonds. Even an actual plat-poor newbie should be able to gather that up in just a few hours.
  6. KarmaKitty Augur

As a low level with limited coin, keep everything. Sort out the trade skill drops (marked) and sell the rest to the vendors. If they vendor won't take it, research it. If it is a quest item (probably marked) that you can pre-loot maybe hand on to it otherwise try a tribute vendor. If no takers or not a pre-loot quest item drop or destroy it. Sell the trade skill items in the bazaar or auction (check bazaar to get an idea of price). You can also do barter, but people frequently offer less than what the vendors will pay and almost always less than the bazaar rate. I believe, both bazaar and barter work outside the bazaar.

There are a number of newbie zone trade skill drops which should more than pay your way.

At the higher level 1000pp becomes the new copper and many would rather pay good money rather than spend a few minutes hunting a newbie zone.
  7. KarmaKitty Augur

Another point would be competing use. You are looking for that nicely priced upgrade. I'm looking for items I can tribute at a 10:1 or better for my pp :D

Named drops tend to be the better upgrade, but they also tend to tribute for more. With the addition of the bazaar tribute feature, you no longer need to know are research the tribute values. This will just increase the pressure from the tribute side of things.

Last time I ran an alt through HOT, I could not find buyers for the named drops. In the end, I stopped trying and just dumped the drops on tribute.
  8. RancidBane New Member

True newbie here I guess. Played back in the day up to sov.
    Back now on Nameless still really low lvl.
    38 enc 20 rogue.
    And the prices in Baz well not much I can buy with my 5k Plat.
    Only have that much thanks to South ro sand giants still a good Plat camp
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There really is no reason for lower levels to buy armor/weapon in the baz.

They have designed it so low level plat gain is equal to the mobs your fighting or the quests you do, So your really not going to be able to farm enough to pay high prices for stuff. And most of it you can get your self thru a quest.

The daily hot zones will get you plat, exp and armor. Although there are only 3 different pieces of armor you can sell the duplicate and earn more plat that way.

Even at level 10 there are easy quests in Cresent Reach for weapons and armor that will last you a few levels. Free
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Per the OP's post, mentioning HoT, I posted regarding level 85-ish items.

For low level items (50 and below), I agree, people who post stuff in bazaar for more than 500p (referring to items near the top of that range (50), for items geared towards REALLY low levels, come on, price 'em at 10-20pp) ought to be ashamed. It's just not worth that much, under the best circumstances. You level so quickly, there's no point to spending a lot on a single slot's item. Then add in random Defiant drops you already have, and the fact that you probably have a merc tanking for you anyway, and it's just not worth asking a lot for those drops.

As CatsPaws says just above me, don't worry about it. Keep leveling.

I think part of the problem may be, there's precious few people farming the zones where items for those levels can drop, so not much enters the Bazaar to begin with. So, there's no price competition. Once you hit 85, there's a lot more farming going on, and so more price competition.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  11. Phiyre Augur

Most of the stuff I sell in bazaar in that lvl range is around 5k or under (stuff that drops off the named mobs) defiant I typically don't even bother looting. The group of items that goes for more normally are those "twink" items, CoF, BoC, swiftblade etc, that can be used from lvl one and are pretty powerful. But those who will buy those come from folks who have been in the game for a long time so they can either farm them or cough up a bit of plat to purchase them.
  12. CrazyLarth Augur

Most expansions has gear that can be bought from NPC's in the Expansion to use as starter gear
  13. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I don't even bother looting most of that gear you mentioned...sometimes I might give it to a pet if I don't feel like loggin my mage in to summon gear for the pet. Most of that HoT gear is priced for peanuts and hardly sells, at least on FV.
  14. KarmaKitty Augur

HoT gear off named has ok tribute value. Why leave it on the corpse o_O
  15. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Selling low/mid level gear on FV is basically a waste of time. There is just too much of it available to have any value. Some weapons and augs are worth trying to sell though.

Thankfully most of it tributes well enough.