A Community Update from EG7’s CEO and Founder, Robin Flodin

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Apr 30, 2021.

1. dreamweaver Community Manager

Read the letter HERE.

Watch the EG7 Community Update video HERE.
    PCSS, Tigonus, Skuz and 7 others like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Sounds like he is very interested in improving our gaming experience. :)
    PCSS likes this.
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

64-bit Client with DirectX 11 or 12, pretty please. Set us up for another 20 years.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd settle for a cure for the lag and a fix to wizzys DPS. :)
    Primadonna, Rancid, Thewiz and 4 others like this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

He is a younger individual. I do feel that a youthful leader can bring energy, optimism, and sharpness of wit to the endeavor.
    PCSS, Gyurika Godofwar and Yinla like this.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Seemed like a very generic video for stockholders
    Kakgumu, Moege and CatsPaws like this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I very much like that he touched upon communication.
    PCSS, Gyurika Godofwar and Yinla like this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It could be a cultural thing. It may be better than an insincere hype video (think Smedley on EQNext or Fyre Festival).
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Jiponar New Member

He looks and sounds like a skinnier Flusha from Fanatic back in the day, anyone who enjoys games running the company works for me.
    Kakgumu and Skuz like this.
  10. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I don't know if this is massively juiced up scripting or authentic, but definitely a lot of the things he says in the video are going to resonate with the EQ playerbase, and he gave off a way different (and better) vibe to me than a lot of people who have spoken for Daybreak in the past at the C-level.

I hope it's legit.
    PCSS, Gyurika Godofwar and Skuz like this.
  11. Zanarnar Augur

That and Vulkan support please. If your going to rewrite the client (which, lets be fair, would likely be faster and produce a better result then trying to modernize the existing one) might as well make it for more then windows.

Hay, a man can dream right?
    Jumbur, Niskin and Nennius like this.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

So what I get from this, is that they genuinely wants to help the games flourish. Futhermoore they seem willing to help productions that are troubled, and that they are willing to revive sunset games, if they feel the concept has merit.

For EQ, they seem content to let darkpaw be in control, and are more or less cheering from the sideline, but are willing to help on darkpaw's terms, hopefully with resources where they are needed. :)

What I did NOT see, was:
    Looks like all the doomsayers were wrong about them...:p
    They bought DBG because they liked it...not because they want to sell it off!

The big question is: what are darkpaw's longterm plans for EQ1, if they can simply ask EG7 for additional resources? What is darkpaw's dream-scenario?

If EG7 asks "tell us where to throw our money?", what will darkpaw answer?
    Thundersnake, Yinla and Nennius like this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

You and me both. And if not a cure, then at least a healthy reduction of lag.

That would be very cool. Practical? I would like to think so, but given my limited knowledge of the thing I can only speculate.
    PCSS likes this.
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I don't know if it's practical, it's definitely not easy, but it will be mandatory at some point in the future I think.
    PCSS and Jumbur like this.
  15. Bardy McFly Augur

I'm not going to say "DirectX 12" or the such technical specifics. I'm simply going to state that the game needs whatever it takes to offload the CPU rendering of graphics today to the more appropriate GPU. Update the rendering engine so that framerates don't tank with a small raid force on the screen.
    Zonker, PCSS, Nennius and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If they update the client, we will probably get an early warning in advance that the system-requirements are changing.

While we players are painfully aware that the client is borderline obsolete, it might not be what needs updating the most. We have no clue if the server is even more obsolete.
    A smooth framerate and more responsive controls will indeed improve the player experience significantly, but we don't know what limitations there are server side, and what the limiting factor is when developing expansions.
    We know they have been forced to split zones(Sepulcher and Heart of Fear) up in smaller sub-zones in the past, due to technical limitations, but are they client-side or server-side limitations?

That said, I agree that the render is badly in need of some upgrades. :)

I think a more flexible(and 4k-friendly) UI is also on the devs wishlist.
    PCSS and Niskin like this.
  17. Zanarnar Augur

oh we know the back end is a huge issue too. say Character Record to one of the dev's and watch them visibly shudder. There is a lot of work that needs done and its not easy.
    Bardy McFly and Niskin like this.
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

JChan has already indicated that client upgrades are imminent and the move to 64-bit is really the only move that makes any sense at all. A 64-bit client is the watershed moment that allows every other improvement.

Robin specifically called out EverQuest once, calling EverQuest's 22 years, "amazing". I think the absence of specific EQ details is a good thing because it speaks to the health of Darkpaw's management team and the IP.

The question weighing here is trying to predict EQs future profit ceiling. If Darkpaw invests in long-term changes what is the return? Is it money well-spent from the investor's point of view?

What does it cost to re-write a client? Test it? Implement it? What is the unplanned work? Will the backend infrastructure keep pace with a modern client? My highly untrained, novice opinion estimates the cost in the millions - for starters. Maybe tens of millions.

Make no mistake - there is no love affair with EverQuest here. EG7 is in this to make a buck. If they happen to keep customers happy, so much the better.
    PCSS and Thundersnake like this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Not just practical, necessary at some point for the game to have a future.

And I am pretty sure we are going to see graphical updates as a result, though it will be a long term thing and won't happen over night a lot of the back-end stuff required for such a big change is already done.
    Bardy McFly and PCSS like this.
  20. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

VERY, VERY disappointed with his first You Tube address. He spent 95% of the time taking about H1Z1 a game with no DEV team that 10 people care about, when he could have talked about all areas of Daybreak instead of just one niche corner which makes no money.

I am also extremely skeptical about his comments about "Listening to the Customers' ... this is probably lip service just like 99.99% of the other studios out there.
    Goodkitty likes this.