Loyalty vendors missing....

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Tatanka, Apr 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Thanks, communication is good. Still not the best start to my Friday, but maybe it will end better.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is a difference between getting an extra candy bar and emptying out the entire machine which is what you might say is what the players who went on spending sprees did.
    Treyos and Dythan like this.
  3. Tutankamen Augur

I didn’t get banned because luckily I didn’t buy something from a merchant but for people to get suspended for NOT breaking the rules because DB made a mistake and caused an issue... it’s absolutely astounding. And wrong. This decision was so bad it merits an apology imo. Whatever thought process that led to this being decided needs to be revisited.
    Diablass, Metanis and Thunderkiks like this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Think of the suspensions like your international shipment held at US customs. It is done to prevent illegal activity - in this case: plat dupping (and to prevent exploited plat from entering circulation).

They have chosen not to rollback the servers to server up (12 hours+). They've probably calculated the amount of suspensions is low enough not to merit a huge rollback. (Maybe, they're looking at 100 players temporarily suspended versus 5,000 players rolled back 12 hours).
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Just because that is true, doesn't mean it isn't a problem or that people will just let it go. Waking up to an unexplained suspension doesn't produce much good will from the receiving party.

They obviously knew who used the vendor, because they used that list to issue suspensions. With more detail these suspensions could have been more narrow. Right off the bat, anybody who spent less than what they had couldn't be exploiting, and any plat they bought would be legitimately entering the system. Maybe they thought they were getting it for free, but the system would catch up with them, and the points would be deducted.

I don't want exploiters to get away with things, but I also don't want people getting surprise suspensions because they cast too wide of a net. These are just thoughts for the future. Maybe they don't have the tools needed to be this precise, or maybe they could have but didn't know they would need to be. Now it's out there, and if they can avoid upsetting people in the future, I think that's a win.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Well, you agreed to their EULA and TOS.

This is like TSA, US Customs, or Border Patrol putting you in the world's slowest line. You're out of luck.

Sorry but think of someone on a TLP server redeeming 1,000 Bags of Platinum and gaining approximately 15 million plat. It could devastate that TLP server's economy.
  7. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Why should I miss out on game time because your a cheating cheater that cheats.
  8. ZoomBox Lorekeeper

But they aren't firing the whole crew, they are literally taking anyone that even LOOKED at the vending machine in a Firing Line and executing them, Guilty or not
    Diablass, Treyos and Thunderkiks like this.
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

How is somebody who spent less than 5760 loyalty points going to redeem 1000 bags of platinum? That is what I'm talking about. Precision matters, cognizance of scope matters. If they were more precise in their action they could still stop the big ships without holding up the ones that don't matter. Thus upsetting fewer customers who they will inevitably reverse the suspensions for anyway.

If they don't have the tools to be more precise, I'm pointing out that it would be beneficial. If they do have the tools but didn't use them, I'm pointing out that they should have.
  10. Zanarnar Augur

What a mess. Anyone they suspended in error should get the game time they missed out on credited to their accounts. Maybe with a few extra days credited to make up for them suspending your account for THEIR mistake.

Not that it will happen... but they should.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

We don't fully know the extent of the exploit. (Obviously, because we are innocent). Someone else mentioned the loyalty points became infinite. Even if it was capped at 5760, some people have like 50 accounts (5760 x 50 = 660 bags of plat).

The reality is we don't have 10-20 full time GMs to manually target exploiters like we did under EQ1's peak decades ago. Welcome to the TSA line during Thanksgiving travel.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

You are misunderstanding me. I'm saying IF they know how many points you should have had, and IF they know how many points you spent, and IF the amount you spent was less than what you had, they should have excluded that account from the suspensions. This simply means that if I had X and I spent less than X then nothing I bought would break anything because I could have bought it at any time under a normal functioning system.

I'm also saying they may not have the data to be that precise, or they may have had the data, but chose not to be that precise. If either of those things are the case, I'm saying they may want to rethink that when this is over.
  13. Zanarnar Augur

TSA line is a really really wrong analogy.

Its more akin to someone robbing a 7-11 and the cops arresting anyone who visited that location that day, locking them up and not letting them out until they manually review each second of the security footage to make sure that one person wasn't at fault. Then they start over with the next person. Who knows how long it will take to restore all the accounts suspended in error. Hopefully they credit time to those accounts to make up for their mistakes. (both the error with loyalty currency, and suspending people who did not exploit it)
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If the system was giving infinite points (as some others have claimed), then you cannot trust the integrity of that data.

Regardless, you are in inspection line required to maintain the integrity of the game (with lean GM support). Obviously, you are upset by the situation - no need to ruminate.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Is the cup half-full or half-empty? Lol.
  16. Zanarnar Augur

The cup is twice as big as it needs to be. (also FWIW this didn't affect me, I haven't even logged into EQ1 this week, just EQ2)
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Dreamweaver is on it. People are probably getting their accounts back within the next 12-24 hours. And all this hooplah will be a bit overdramatic.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It doesn't matter whether the system was failing to deduct points or giving infinite points or any other system of allowing people to buy things endlessly. They either know what people bought, or they don't. I'm guessing they do, or handling this on a case-by-case basis would be pointless.

I'm simply making a suggestion as to what might be beneficial in a future situation regarding available data and decision making. As somebody affected by the situation, and who is trying to leave emotion out of it, who better to ruminate on it?
  19. Herf Augur

Clearly at this company "CS" stands for something other than customer Service...
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Yes, dreamweaver is on it, and I appreciated the communication, as I said right after he posted.

People are probably getting their accounts back in some timeframe, maybe 12-24, maybe not. Either way though, as somebody who didn't get suspended for doing nothing wrong, your assessment of what is overdramatic is, irrelevant. But thanks for telling us about boats or something.
    Barraind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.